Attributes of a right wing back

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
Hustler

what attributes does a right wing back have.. can any1 give me some drills to work on to improve my defensive and attacking ability with the ball and with out?

lyricalgh

be prepared to join the attack anytime and know when to stay behind
set pieces is the no 1 thing for almost every position so work on it
and pinpoint passes too
passes should not be more than a half a foot off target
'Alex Ferguson is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had.' David Beckham

Sweeper5

you have to be fast enough to stay with the attackers coming at you, and you have to be able to tackle hard and win 50/50 balls, heading is also good for getting cornerkicks out

Magicfeet

The main attribute required for a wing back hasn't been mentioned... stamina. Playing in that position reqiures you to be part of the defense, but a winger also. You must have great stamina in order to play these roles efficiently.

Good tackling, pace and short-mid length passing are also useful.

Hustler

got any drills which will help to build your stamina dramatically, iv been trying for like 2 months and i stil dnt hav good stamina!!

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

being a RWB is all about stamina and Ur timing in ur head...

U must not be too offensive even when Ur team is being bombarded.

Hustler

can any 1 give me tips on RB? coz iv been put in dat position for my team sometimes.. but sometimes play RW (original position) and i quite like playin RB.

jcdenton
Veteran Member

i play LWB, but basically it's the same: stamina, strength (stability) , speed, tackling and ball control

stamina has to be your best attribute, you can swim, that helps much...
strength, well you need to guard the ball, to be stabile on your feet, go to fitness centre or swim much...
speed, you need to be explosive, and very fast, running sprints up and down the hill helps you for that...
tackling, when you push the winger to the sideline, the safest way to stop him without a foul is to tackle good, practice that much...
ball control, running with ball down the sideline needs good, soft touch and well control, practicing with cones helps for this...

many winger backs posses these skills, but some small things can make you stand out... i can also take throw ins very good (around 30m) and i have good heading and jumping... i'm also pretty tall for a back (190cm)

you need to be evrywhere where the ball is on your side... you need to be a part of every attack and to stop every opposition attack that goes through your side... it can be very annoying... my teammates think i am a superman, because i can do this, they want me to play few roles at the same time: CB,LB,LM,LW... and i can really cover all these positions at the same time, but after the match i am few kilos lighter :D ...

Hustler

loll the worse is .. playing 4-3-3 attack and wen u have 2 cover RM and RB..

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Being a RB actually can be the same as RWB.

sgt.pepper
New User

funny there's a thread just about being a right back, which is my position. I personally love the position, because not only am I defending (which is my strong point) but I'm involved in moving the ball up the sideline and supporting the attack, which is my favorite part of playing.
Everyone dies; only some will live.

x2reme21

RB, ur mentality and priority should be defence.

u must learn the timings of when to go up and support ur right wing.