What to do in this situation as a RW

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
p793
Veteran Member

What to do in this situation as a RW

Post by p793 » 02 Jun 2010, 12:16

I'm the black circle at the bottem that is highlighted, I want to know weather I should track back every single time as my right back always comes accross and follows the ball which is no help to me!

When I track back we have nothing for the Counter Attack, so i'm left with a dilemna. If this was a one of occasion in the game obviously I would follow him, but it frequently occurs and I have no idea what to do now!!

Help please

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 02 Jun 2010, 16:36

Don't track back if you are a Right Winger, in like a 4-3-3 formation.

However on that formation sheet it appears that you are playing right side of midfield, not right winger, which are two completely different things, in that case then yeah track back.

Just incase though.

Winger:Should never track back UNLESS their corresponding full back on the other team has pegged it forwards. Basically if the full back goes, you follow them back and mark, if not, stay in space and wait for a counter attack.

Right Midfield:Your the work house of the team so you have to run back every single time and be picking up players in the middle.

General rules for all positions: When you don't have the ball, you squeeze in tighter towards the middle of the pitch, defences work on you been compact and congested to stop the other team breaking you down. If a man you are suppose to be marking goes out wide onto the side line on his own, leave him there, he is going out to drag you with him and spread your defence out which is far worse than leaving a player unmarked.

When your team has the ball, you want to be spreading out to stretch the other teams defence out and make them work. As a wide man, you would be all the way out at the touch line to really spread the team out and give your team a wide option.

Alan88
Sophomore Member

Post by Alan88 » 23 Jun 2010, 12:17

Really helpful... Thx

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 23 Jun 2010, 12:40

When the ball is on the other side of the field your full back does the correct thing by coming inside. In your position it is your responsibility to cover the space behind him.

If your opponent moves there, the ball comes to him unmarked and he scores thats your fault, no one elses. If you are unable to get forward after you defend then that is a fitness issue that you must work on. Good midfielders do both.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

Canadianfooty
Sophomore Member

Post by Canadianfooty » 23 Jun 2010, 16:52

I personally beleive in this situation you should defently be tracking this man so your right back can help the middle. Of course there is the ocassion where you can probably sit back a bit and gather your wind, but you just need to be talking to your defender about this winger coming in off the side.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 23 Jun 2010, 20:03

Thanks very helpful guys

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 23 Jun 2010, 21:08

Are you are right winger or right midfielder? They are completely different roles.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 23 Jun 2010, 21:38

Well that usually depends on my manager tactics and formations but both