from behind

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
Loopy4
Sophomore Member

i was a right winger for years but found a mental block of bigger and stronger, and due to my speed i was brought down a fair bit from behind and now have a fear of opposing players running behind me so i panic. How can i stop this? As im now a right back which suits my game much more. But whem pushing up to attack, i still have that fear..

Its A Girls Game.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Are you talking about when you have the ball?

---If so, then you shouldn't be afraid of other players catching up to you. When you have the ball, you are controlling the game. In fact, they should be afraid of you.

-Positioning and awareness are key. You should know where the other players are at all times (both your team and the other team). Chances are, you have a teammate making a great run.

-Another tip (thanks ScottS4!)--"when you have the ball and a player is coming from behind, dribbling in front of him. Players can't tackle you when you are directly in front of them."

---Dribbling technique could also slow you down. Check out dribbling technique Here
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Loopy4 wrote:i was a right winger for years but found a mental block of bigger and stronger, and due to my speed i was brought down a fair bit from behind and now have a fear of opposing players running behind me so i panic. How can i stop this? As im now a right back which suits my game much more. But whem pushing up to attack, i still have that fear..
From what I can get of that, I take that you have a fear of getting fouled. I think you should jz get used to being taken from behind, and youll be fine.

klc123
Veteran Member

Wanderer hit the nail on the hit. It's natural to not want to get clobbered from behind, but if you have any sort of decent ref playing any play doing that will get a straight yellow, or if you were past the last man a straight red.
get used to being taken from behind
Quote of the year lmao :lol:

soccer11
Admin

get a friend and have him chase after you while you dribble away from him. It'll get you used to dribbling when someone is behind you.

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Ugh, I have this fear too! Seriously, whenever I sense/hear a defender charging down behind me I freeze a little - even if I know that I'm outpacing them :cry:
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself