4-3-3 Formation pros and cons

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
terminator

My coach started using it and will probably stick to this formation for the rest of season.

I was wondering if you guys could tell me the pros and cons of 4-3-3 formation. Also, I will be playing in the left midfield of the formation. Any advice for me will be appreciated! Thanks.

klc123
Veteran Member

In my opinion is the best formation...

It's best to have the 3 forwards with a license to roam the pitch, so they can drift all over the pitch in the attacking third as much as they please, like Barcelona do, whilst when the full-backs go forwards, which they should do, they play more like a wing back, or in some extreme cases like daniel Alves will be playing like a winger, these will be your teams wide men, use them to spread the play out and break the defense down by going up and down the wings, recycling the ball, and going down the other wing, the more you do this, the more chance of scoring as you will be stretching the other teams defence out creating mistakes for the forwards to capitalize on.

The two centre backs and one defensive central midfielder will be your back up, and the wing backs should be reasonably forwards so that they can get back in the case of a counter attack.

The two centre mid-fielders jobs are to basically just keep the possession and to keep recycling the ball, giving it to the wings, checking to give the wide men an option back and then to spread it around to the other side, of course while that's going on the 3 forwards will be drifting around looking for space to receive the ball, if a central mid spots one of them in space and can put a good ball to them, they will almost certainly make something productive with only one defender to beat before they are in on goal.

That is the pro of this formation.

While is works brilliantly if you have good central midfield players who can spread the ball around like there is no tomorrow, if your have poor players who can't hit long balls and can't even keep the ball via good control and short passing, then this formation is going to cause your team problems, and although it can be very strong defensively, this formation can tend to get caught out by a superb counter attack, as teams that play this formation like Barcelona, often rely on the offside trap to stop any threat of counters, and when one does get through, unless you have a brilliant keeper like Valdes who can spot a threat a mile off and come forward to snuff the attack out, you are fu**ed basically.

When you have good players, it works brilliantly, possibly the best formation for good teams, however when your players aren't that little bit special, it can bite you in the ass.

a_twig

4-3-3 is a formation I'm not a big fan of, personally, but here's a quick description of the pros and cons:
Pros: You'll have six men on the attack against four to eight, depending on how quick you attack. It makes a lot more opportunities for overload situations, on which the attackers ought to score 9/10 times, but which rarely happen (usually). You will also still have a maximum of seven men on defense, which will be more than enough against a 4-4-2.
Cons: This formation strictly requires more running from the midfield and forwards. The forwards will have to help on midfield, because the midfield is too small, and the midfielders will have to help on defense and attack on every play.
I guess you can sort of see why I don't like it very much: less solid midfield play, more strain on the defense, and too much running. To be honest, I don't think the three forwards give that much of an advantage unless the three forwards are better than four midfielders.

terminator

Thank you! Excellent...exactly what i was looking for.
My biggest prob with the formation as a midfielder is the insane amount of fitness needed...which i dont seem to have :(

fawad000

Pros:

More attacking options (Can have up to 7 players )
Imo Ideal formation for diagonal aerial balls
Less running for the front 3 players
Attacking players can shift as and when they like (except for the target man)
More favorable for team-effort

Cons:

Less defending options
Requires a midfield maestro who can control (have possession for long period of times) and dictate the game
Right/left backs will have to run up and down the field a lot to support both attack and defense
Can be exploited by fast counter attacks
Less room for individual play
Errors will be likely punished severely

shahensha
Veteran Member

The only affective way to use this formation is:

Short passes when you have the ball to maintain possession

This formation puts players on both wings and centre in all thirds of the pitch, which allows you to make effective TRIANGLES on the pitch that aid the possession game. It will be awesome if a right footed forward plays on the left wing, allowing him to cut in and use his preffered foot for a shot or a throughball for the one top striker or a rushing midfielder.

Extreme pressure (from all players) when you dont have the ball.

Teams that use the 4-3-3 to perfection use a trick called "defending from the front". This requires the forwards to pressure anyone with the ball in their field. Also the wingers have to come back for defensive support. Messi and Henry do it all the time. Henry mentioned he has done the more running for Barcelona than all his time at Arsenal to put things into perspective.

Teamwork is extremely important in this formation. When you have the ball, everyone pushes up (defenders to an extent) cause the whole team is on attack mode. When you dont have the ball, everyone has to step back as a unit (CF to an extent) cause the whole team is in defence mode.

Man-marking is a no no in this formation. Defending is done by players surrounding the ball and cutting out passing/dribbling options.

This really is a teamwork oriented formation, which also makes it easy to pick out the weaker links. However, if everyone has decent ability of controlling the ball and passing it around then you can use quick triangle passes to make the opponents run out of steam.

Also if your defenders are used to pulling off the offside trap, then it will be easier to deal with counters that result from this formation.

An effective way of doing this to have a sweeper who stands a bit behind the defensive line. If he is intelligent and aware then he will be able to spot a run and step up foward to align with his teammates. However this maneover requires alot of chemistry and understanding amongst your defender cause if the offside trap is not called, you better have fast defenders.

MANUMAN30

not sure if this has been stated yet, but it opens up huge pieces of the pitch for the outside backs to run into when the ball is on the other side of the pitch. I played left back in our 4-3-3 formation for high school, and that was one of our main attacks: the other team gets shifted over to, in my case, the right side of the field, and while they are all focused over there, our players would set each other up for a long swinging ball into the space on the left side for me to run onto and either go at goal or get a cross for charging forwards

that's my input for the pros of this formation
Glory Glory Man Utd!