Do you think the need to win is important in becoming pro?

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
scottS4
Veteran Member

Some people, like Alex Ferguson or Gary Neville have this huge hunger to win. They dream about trophies. They would throw themselves in front of a 90mph shot just so they dont lose or tie. If they do lose, then they are miserable.

I've played with/against people like this and I've noticed that coaches love them, because they'll do anything to get a result. but do you think this hunger is vital to becoming a professional?

Obviously, I love winning, but winning isn't what I play soccer for. I just love the game: Being in the dressing room before, walking out onto the field, keeping possesion, attacking, going over to take corners etc. Thats what I look forward to the night before, not when the game is over and we have more goals than them.

So what about you guys? are you one of the people that refuse to lose? Do you think you have to be success hungry to make it as a pro?

Kasaki
Veteran Member

I think the brazil national team is exactly like you. They all go out to play for "fun" almost. Of course they want to win but they elso enjoy the sport. Look at ronaldinho when he plays it's as if he's dancing and he is always smiling. Also kaka, he may not have as much flair but he smiles when he gets a nice run (although his more serious). Look at the old ronaldo he loved! playing u could just tell from the amount of tricks he tried. Robinho as well although right now his in a slump. Personally, I play to have fun , I set goals and hope to hit them, it's not as if I have a whole town on my shoulders and a table where I must get 3 points. although if am in a tourney I will aim to win as that is a whole different situation.

klc123
Veteran Member

There is a difference between enjoying the game and wanting to win.

Realistically, people only say its taking part that counts to people at a non-competitive level or a low standard...Once your in professional...All that matters is winning.

Trust me, yes the Brazilians play with a smile on their face, but all that matters to them is winning. Doesn't matter what country your from, winning is everything. It doesn't happen often but theres a nike advert called hurt and you see ronaldinho crying walking off the pitch because barcelona lost, thats how much it means to professionals.

In terms of making it professional, yes, you have to have the hunger to win. I play football 1. because i enjoy it and i feel it is what i am meant to do, and 2. for that gloryious feeling of winning.

It sounds shallow, but realistically winning is what is most important at the top level of football, and everyone single footballer at the top has the passion to win no matter what.

panchester07
Veteran Member

scottS4 wrote:Some people, like Alex Ferguson or Gary Neville have this huge hunger to win. They dream about trophies. They would throw themselves in front of a 90mph shot just so they dont lose or tie. If they do lose, then they are miserable.

I've played with/against people like this and I've noticed that coaches love them, because they'll do anything to get a result. but do you think this hunger is vital to becoming a professional?

Obviously, I love winning, but winning isn't what I play soccer for. I just love the game: Being in the dressing room before, walking out onto the field, keeping possesion, attacking, going over to take corners etc. Thats what I look forward to the night before, not when the game is over and we have more goals than them.

So what about you guys? are you one of the people that refuse to lose? Do you think you have to be success hungry to make it as a pro?
I believe winning is very important.. Unless you are 100% motivated anyway, I think wanting to win is what makes you go that extra mile...

If you have a scrimage with friends, sure youll play good and you wanna win.. But if you have a league final tomorrow, that you absolutely will love to win and hold that trophy up high, then you will do all kinds of things to get that..

Wanting to win is synonims with heart.. I want to win everygame so Im gonna sprint and chase every ball, if I loose it im sprinting back and getting it, Because I have desire...

I believe theres little pros that have actually played for fun... I play for fun + wining.. Because loosing isnt that fun, plus you feel that you train for nothing and that some one with out your level of motivation and work ethic is beating you.....

I just believe winning isnt 100% necessary, but many people that have that desire to win, will do amazing things to get there, and thats how level is greatly improved, by going that extra mile.. By playing that bit faster, by chasing down that guy that stold you the ball and forcing him to do a rong pass, by slide tackling, by beating two and taking that shot from outside when you see your strikers arent responding.....

If you didnt want to win, you wouldnt go through all these troubles, and you probably wouldnt become as good as you can be, because your not that interested and your just doing it for a little entertainment!
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

klc123 wrote:There is a difference between enjoying the game and wanting to win.
I don't see how there is a difference between wanting to win and enjoying the game.
I always want to win, but I also enjoy working with my teammates towards a common goal. Wanting to win and enjoying the game go hand in hand.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

klc123
Veteran Member

Yes they go hand in hand, but that doesn't make them the same thing.

Its much easier to win a game if you enjoy it, and yes you will enjoy it more if your winning, but it is possible to win games without enjoying football, and it is possible to enjoy football without winning, thats why they are different.

1. If you don't enjoy playing football more than anything, you probably won't make it pro because you have to absolutely love it to practise enough to make it.

2. Wanting to win more than any thing else will mean you do things that you wouldn't normally do to ensure your team wins and thus resulting you been a better player and also enjoying it more.

3. Reguardless of how good you are, you always play football better when your relax, take a deep breath, have confidence in your ability and then enjoy it.

Kasaki
Veteran Member

you guys say wanting to win regardless does that mean u , cheat, dive, trash talk, hand balls etc? , cause if u need to win and are down 1-0 will u dive to win?

panchester07
Veteran Member

Kasaki wrote:you guys say wanting to win regardless does that mean u , cheat, dive, trash talk, hand balls etc? , cause if u need to win and are down 1-0 will u dive to win?
What does that have to do with the topic anyway ?.... :lol:

Wanting to win bad makes you push yourself, when you push yourself, you leave the comfort zone and become better.. On the other hand, if you just want entertainment youll be a decent player, like I am in other sports or things that I just do for fun.....

Clear enough?

Short answer Yes. Wanting to win is necessary to be a pro.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

I absolutely am 100% behind panchester.

I know probably no one would be honest about this, but if i was in the world cup final, 1-0 down in the last minute and i was clipped gently as a ran past a player in the box, but not hard enough to actually knock me down, i would go down easy and take a penalty to get my team the equaliser.

I wouldn't be proud of it, and i certainly wouldn't be as happy about it if i had scored the goal normally, but realistically, its not what i want that matters in massive international games, its my role, my duty to sacrifice and take the fall so that my country wins. Im not going to be the hero of the story, but i will be the patriot and to me thats more important.

Its the same thing with Maradona and Henry handballing the ball for a goal, obviously they are not proud of it, and obviously they are not loved for it, but they done it because they knew it was their duty to do whatever it takes, reguardless of what it will do to their career because their country is more important than themselfs. In a way, it would be selfish to not tarnishing your career but letting your country perish.

My respect for players like Henry, who done whatever they had to do to win for their team, grew, simply because they made me realise you cannot always be the legitmate hero, but you must always be the faithful patriot.
Last edited by klc123 on 18 Jan 2010, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

klc123 wrote:I absolutely am 100% behind panchester.

I know probably no one would be honest about this, but if i was in the world cup final, 1-0 down in the last minute and i was clipped gently as a ran past a player in the box, but not hard enough to actually knock me down, i would go down easy and take a penalty to get my team the equaliser.

I wouldn't be proud of it, and i certainly wouldn't be as happy about it if i had scored the goal normally, but realisitlcally, its not what i want that matters in massive international games, its my role, my duty to sacrifice and take the fall so that my country wins. Im not going to be the hero of the story, but i will be the patriot and to me thats more important.

Its the same thing with Maradona and Henry handballing the ball for a goal, obviously they are not proud of it, and obviously they are not loved for it, but they done it because they knew it was their duty to do whatever it takes, reguardless of what it will do to their career because their country is more important than themselfs. In a way, its been selfish by not tarnishing your career but letting your country perish.

My respect for players like Henry, who done whatever they had to do win for their team, grew, simply because they showed me the importance of realising you cannot always be the legitmate hero, but you must always be the faithful patriot.
I would also do the same thing and I agree with both you and panchester
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

klc123
Veteran Member

Thanks, and sorry about the spelling and grammar in that post, i just realised it was disgusting lol.

2brown347
Veteran Member

klc123 wrote:I absolutely am 100% behind panchester.

I wouldn't be proud of it, and i certainly wouldn't be as happy about it if i had scored the goal normally, but realistically, its not what i want that matters in massive international games, its my role, my duty to sacrifice and take the fall so that my country wins. Im not going to be the hero of the story, but i will be the patriot and to me thats more important.

Its the same thing with Maradona and Henry handballing the ball for a goal, obviously they are not proud of it, and obviously they are not loved for it, but they done it because they knew it was their duty to do whatever it takes, reguardless of what it will do to their career because their country is more important than themselfs. In a way, it would be selfish to not tarnishing your career but letting your country perish.

My respect for players like Henry, who done whatever they had to do to win for their team, grew, simply because they made me realise you cannot always be the legitmate hero, but you must always be the faithful patriot.
I agree with most of what you've been saying, i think you have to have a higher desire to win than most, but obviously some players play more for the love of the game than winning. I always play my best when I'm having fun, but I'm also usually having the most fun when I'm winning.

That being said I don't think I'd go down in that situation. I get what you're saying but I have that mentality where going down is the last thing on my mind, even if I was hit hard enough to knock me off balance. Not saying it's better or worse but it's just how I played and its become part of my game that I think I'd have to work hard on to change.

I always had a big desire to win, but (in part because my high school experience was f-ed by extremely sh*tty coaches) my team usually would be down a goal or two, which would make me stop enjoying the game and just trying to do everything the "right" way and would usually make me play worse.

A good example would be Rooney compared to The Ronaldo. Rooney is a win at all cost type of guy who really plays by the book. He works really hard and has become known as one of the best active players because of it. Ronaldo in his day also had that drive to win, but unlike Rooney (who often looks pissed off) you could see how much Ronaldo enjoyed every moment on the field. Doing everything by the book wasn't his goal and that in part is why he's such a legend. Good players have that more of a strong desire to win, the great players have that desire but with a greater joy for the game. (Not facts, just how I see it)

klc123
Veteran Member

I agree with you.

I don't know if anyone else follows it but theres a program on sky one every week called footballs next star...

Its basically a load of mediorce-good players trying to win a contract to play for internazionale. But its a real good program to watch because alot of it contains in my opinion brilliant tips and tricks from the best coachs in the world that we would otherwise go without hearing.

Examples of this include having a cold bath/shower/going into a cold swimming pool after a work out and during the recovery days because it speeds up recovery.

It also shows how different the Italian game is compared to the English, i remember one of the players getting told to go down when he is in the box or near the other teams goal and he is fouled, instead of trying to stay on his feet. These are the sort of things that i feel English football is suffering without, im not by any means saying you need to dive to be good, but i am saying that Italy have a proven record for producing the best players, the best teams and ultimately winning the most than any other nation and perhaps its things like this that give them that little bit extra over teams that on paper should be atleast successful like England.

Kasaki
Veteran Member

is there somewhere online I could watch this?

mint
EF Drug Baron

I would watch Footballs next star but my dad hasn't got sky yet only got freeview :(
i was made to ignite