Making a team

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
Ronaldao
Sophomore Member

Making a team

Post by Ronaldao » 22 Dec 2009, 01:20

Hi everybody my brother wants to make a team and I thought it would be a terrific idea.First let me explain the situation: We are planning on joining a competitive latino league where you get to play 22 games plus playoffs if you make it. The cost to register the team is $1,100 plus uniforms and I.D card.The team is going to be made up of mostly old friends and friends of friends. I would have to be the de-facto coach.

Most of us (except four of us) are extremely out of shape and haven't played competitively in a couple of years, and most of us weren't good to begin with. We all love the game though and love to play.

As the de-facto coach, what in the world should we work on first? Fitness? Technique?
Help is appreciated in advance.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 22 Dec 2009, 01:53

I dont know what kind of time you have to train, but when my team had preseason, it was 3 weeks, and we had 5 sessions a week.

For the first week and a half, we did alot of long distance running, interval training and other tiring exercises.
drill example: jogging for 5 minutes, going 75% speed for 3 minutes, repeat 5 times for a total of 40 minutes.

for the next half week we did more short distance running, with sprinting or agility work.
drill example:
set up: 2 cones, 10 yards apart

start at cone 1.
sprint to cone 2 and back, do 10 pushups
sprint to cone 2 and back, do 10 situps
sprint to cone 2 and back, do 10 burpees
sprint to cone 2 and back, do 10 tuck jumps
sprint to cone 2 and back, do 10 squats or lunges.

For the last week, we did different games or possesion drills,
drill example: 4 vs 4, 5 vs 2, 8 vs 8 etc.

Ronaldao
Sophomore Member

Post by Ronaldao » 22 Dec 2009, 03:51

Thanks for the help scott. I am thinking we are probably going to practice only twice a week because most of us are in college and work.

What should I do in terms of formations and tactics? Like I said, we haven't played in a while and we have a lot of people willing to play forwards but not midfield.

Raza159
New User

Re: Making a team

Post by Raza159 » 13 Oct 2014, 10:41

I really sypathise with your problem. motivating 12 year olds is very difficult as you cant say or use the same techniques as you would say with adults.