Help being a winger???

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
Cesc4
Sophomore Member

well, im a defensive midfielder and my coach has told me... he'll be playing me as a winger and i told why... he said you might be the extra fire power we need in attack... i kinda know what he means but seriously need help!

ronaldoR7

well for winger the main aspects for it are :
Stamina - you'll often be running alot down the touchlines and make crosses into the centre and then running back to cover the flanks .
Speed - It isnt necessary to have speed as a winger there are some pros that are good wingers wihtout speed but it would be good to have that extra speed where you can get past opponents with ease .
Crossing - You'll need to work on your crossing as you'll have atleast 2 or more situations in where you will be in a good situation to cross a ball .
Dribbling - Sometimes you'll need to use a trick or too to get past your marker to cross the ball in or cut inside and take a shot. So work on 3 tricks that you will be comfortable with so that you can use in a game

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Winger is my number one favourite and only position.

Like Ronaldo said, there are a few types of wingers. It depends on the qualities that you already have, and what your coach specifically wants.The main things you should work on are your crossing and your dribbling. Speed can be extremely useful.

When you run at the defence, there are 2 things you can do. You can either run towards the byline or towards the goal. Try to run towards the goal more because its much more dangerous.
Sig by me

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Too add to the above a couple of very important things about the movement and tactics of being a winger:

-Using your fullback (Your fullback will need to be skilled and intelligent)
Its important to be able to hold up the play and play 1-2's with your fullback to be able to get yourself or them behind the opposing fullback and toward the bi-line
As often as you can (when your fullback is pushing up) cut inside and make out that your heading goalwards, only to pass back wide to the fullback

-The far post man
Watch Cristiano Ronaldo especially and see how often in counter attacks he runs across the goal or to the far post when a cross comes in, this gives you amazing advantages over other attackers because your usually un-marked and un-notice and you have a good veiw of the penalty area and defenders infront of you

-Pulling wide
As often as possible during the build up, pull out wide to the touchline, this drags defenders toward you and if your CMF's and fullbacks (or strikers in advanced positions) are in any way smart they will build a triangle around you

Cesc4
Sophomore Member

ohh crap.... i can't cross even if my life depended on it! i can dribble, im fast..im bulky... stamina is ok but still lacking! no way is this position for me.. coach is out of his mind.. lol!

NewBornProdigy
Admin

If you finding it hard to cross, just imagine your trying to take a curling shot, high, aiming at the back post

Cesc4
Sophomore Member

hmmm, that sounds very useful! thanks!

krizzle
New User

Yeah...
Today during PE we were playing soccer. I noticed that just running past people as a winger works better than fancy skills. I ran down the right side and tried to take a shot, but it curled to the far post and one of my team-mates headed it perfectly into the goal.

If you have someone to cross to, do it.
If you don't, dribble inside, and anyone with any sense will run inside to support you.

heiky0711

Just to add a point, because i've played both as a wing back and as a winger and from my point of view, you have to keep up with the line of attack. For example, as a wing back, often you would hear the central defender shouting "push-up" meaning to stay in line with the defence so that the team won't get caught by offside trap. Similarly, when counter attacking, you have to follow the attackers rythme. That's where the hard part being a winger, is to run up and down constantly. One I would know is the Brazilian Cafu for his wing back abilities. Hope that helps.

My Latest Football Vlog: https://youtu.be/AAmtqY6kjFM
Subscribe my YT channel: http://bit.do/theheiky11
My blog http://soccer-tricks.blogspot.com

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Yeah, the defensive duties of a winger can be very tough, because you have to constantly sprint up and down the field. Make sure you know who your opposite winger is, and always be prepared to provide cover for your full back.
Sig by me

Wanderer
Veteran Member

basically as a winger, primally need excellence for acceleration, close control and first touch.

tactical aint as importance as central mid, coz when you're a winger, you're free to do anythin(which is why Barca put Ronnie on the wing instead of central, to decrease his tactical responsiblities)...

disagree with h2bh on the defensive duties part tho, sprintin up and down is usually what full backs do(Emerton, Alves, Cafu etc)..as a winger...your job is primally to attack(not defend), and when opposition has the ball, cut off his options..

For example if ya see keeper gonna pass to left back, immediately pressure left back, or if ya see left back havin the ball..with their central mid open, intercept the passing lane...theres no need to follow them up and down the flank, think what their nex 2 passes are, and stop it..

Cesc4
Sophomore Member

thanks for the tips, i just played a friendly match yesterday and it went perfect...instead of crossing i was cutting in all the time and i loved the support from my full back.