HOW TO BECOME THE BEST STRIKER IN THE WORLD

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
stanley
New User

HOW TO BECOME THE BEST STRIKER IN THE WORLD

Post by stanley » 21 May 2009, 10:45

I JUST THOUGHT I COULD START A THREAD ON HOW TO BECOME THE BEST STRIKER IN THE WORLD. BECAUSE I AM LOOKING FOR PARTICULAR ATTRIBUTES AND TRAINING METHODS THAT WILL HELP ME ON THIS CAUSE.

james_torres9

Post by james_torres9 » 21 May 2009, 11:36

SPEED to start with then work from there
sig by messi14

stanley
New User

Post by stanley » 21 May 2009, 13:22

Yeah i agree i have been already though

Rocky
Veteran Member

Post by Rocky » 21 May 2009, 15:20

Yeah, speed is probably one of the most important factors. Speed off the mark and the explosiveness to leave a defender meters behind. If you look at the worlds best strikers, like Fernando Torres, then you'll see that they have this ability to just explode from a defender and leave them behind the first ten meters.

Speed has been discussed allot of times before on EF.

Here are some topics about speed training:

viewtopic.php?t=15231
viewtopic.php?t=14544
viewtopic.php?t=14584

I'm a really big fan of sprinting up hills ATM. My gymnastic teacher says it makes you slower which is, IMO, absolutely wrong. I'm faster than ever before.

This article was pretty good, Why every football player should be put on hill sprints:

http://content.scholastic.com/browse/ar ... id=3747624

My gymnastic teacher should read that :P

A striker needs also to be strong, have a good balance and also being capeable of running allot (Stamina), like Didier Drogba. If you watch the Chelsea games you'll see that he's very hard to push off the ball because of his strength and he runs allot.

This topic covers allot of the strength training:

viewtopic.php?t=9909

And I found this one to be good for balance:

viewtopic.php?t=11748

You can also include things like dribbling/leaving a defender flat-footed, finishing and first touch/controlling the ball.

A world class striker has the ability to control the ball, even with a defender on his back pulling his shirt, and manage to put the ball in the back of the net. I think you should watch players like Henry, Ronaldo (Brazilian) and the good old Michael Owen. Just search them up on www.youtube.com

Here's a world class example of a first touch by Michael Owen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBR0ucXo7gc

As you can see, his first touch is very important right there which puts him infront of the defender, and then it's just the speed which leaves the defenders way behind. Remember, if your first touch is bad then you've lost it. And I almost forgot Bergkamp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ljMKGDjts

This topic might be helpful for receiving the ball:

viewtopic.php?t=7177

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An old post of mine:

In my opinion, the first touch is one of the most important things in football.. with a first touch you can beat the defender and you can create space for yourself..

Controlling the ball/first touch is actually a way of dribbling according to the Maestro himself, Zinedine Zidane, and its his first priority when it comes to football.. check this out;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOHcTZZhvps
He talks about controlling the ball/first touch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdksjtheADo
Here he is in action Wink
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finishing on goal

As a striker you should shoot often. Theres even a saying ''Shoot often but well''.. Don't be afraid to shoot, but try to shoot well. Imagine if you were so good that everytime you took a shot you actually hit the target?

Find a wall, draw a goal or just a some circles on the bottom of the wall (on each end), stand about 16m behind and try to hit your target, hard and prescise.. This is good for accuracy. You can mix it if you want to like turning around/feinting before you shoot. And remember to use both feet.

Dribbling/1v1 situations

If you ever watch Ronaldo (Brazilian) in his prime you'll notice how amazingly he takes on defenders, it can only be described as world class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0P8gvCJc00

He feints with both feet/scissors, unbalances the defender, and suddenly makes a touch inside/outside the field before putting the ball down in the corner.

And here are some 1v1 moves that might be helpful too:

viewtopic.php?t=6490

These are most of the things that I think a world class striker/attacker needs. You can also include headers which Adebayor is good at. Jumping rope or hanging a ball on a tree (about 2m up) and trying to head it, might help. Adebayor used to do this as a kid.

Theres also a strikers guide here:

viewtopic.php?t=4124

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 21 May 2009, 20:55

Flexibility contributes to all those factors, so stretch!

I think plyometrics specifically helps explosiveness but i am not sure
if anyone wants to back me up on that it will be appreciated.

dream_on_go_pro

Post by dream_on_go_pro » 21 May 2009, 21:57

Anymi wrote:Flexibility contributes to all those factors, so stretch!

I think plyometrics specifically helps explosiveness but i am not sure
if anyone wants to back me up on that it will be appreciated.
I will def back you up on that anymi plyometrics is most likely the best way to improve your explosiveness and agility and balance all at once but you you have to be strong and somewhat agile to start with before doin em

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 21 May 2009, 23:40

Rocky: I thnk I agree with your old post about touch, even when talking about strikers. Speeds a greed quality to have, but some of the best forwards to ever play werent the fastest, they all had a great touch.

Anyway like Rocky said your touch. Plus time spent working on it will show you faster progress than on your speed.

tevezaholic
Veteran Member

Post by tevezaholic » 21 May 2009, 23:55

u need acceleration to explode from the defender and one thing that alot of strikers lack,composure,keep a calm state of mind
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

stanley
New User

Post by stanley » 22 May 2009, 00:01

THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU GUYS YOUR SO HELPFUL. AND YES JESUS IS LORD.