A Football Dilemma

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
CanadianGiggs11

I have a football dilemma, I play for a Canadian soccer team. We are a very quality squad, but we have this new coach, and it seems that everything i do i can do something else, and nothing can be right to this guy. When he corrects me in a very negative way, i lose confidence.

I am sick and tired of listening to music, or other people, or watching soccer videos to gain confidence again and again. Losing it soon as i step on a field.

When i get on the field for a game, i'm very confident in myself. But when the game starts i have the three different voices yelling at me decreasing my confidence. I have the coach/player/striker partner, it's like whatever i do is the wrong. I never had this problem with any club or coach i have ever had.

I'm usually a really strong willed player, confident, and never have this problem.

What can i do? Or is this normal?
It also seems that he picks on me in practice and games

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Negatively criticize you? As in something like "you can't do anything right" or "you just don't have what it takes"? If so, then the coach is just not right for you. Do any of your other teammates get mistreated or understand your situation? What did they say?

When I was playing for rec league, my coach had no idea what he can doing. The principles of football were: defense kicks out as far as they can, midfield retrieves it and sends it down the wing for forwards to chase. So whenever I played, I would actually look up for the best pass, and I would hear him on the sidelines. So to ignore him, I would just stick my thumbs up and pretend I understood. But after a while, he got pissed and he started subbing me off more and more often. I didn't care tho, my own style was my own style, I wasn't gonna let some random parent dictate the way I play.

Hope this gives you an idea. :wink:

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Kakasgotskillz wrote:Negatively criticize you? As in something like "you can't do anything right" or "you just don't have what it takes"? If so, then the coach is just not right for you. Do any of your other teammates get mistreated or understand your situation? What did they say?
A coach not right for him because he yells at him negatively? :lol:

I can see where you're coming from, but I'm starting to laugh when like every thread with a coaching problem the answer is "he obviously doesn't like you so find a different team".

I would be very surprised if you found ANY high level club coach that doesn't yell at their players. Some are only yelling, no praise, and some are a mix. CanadianGiggs11, you're probably just taking things a little personally. And you're going to have to deal with comments from teammates. Just brush it off. Sometimes people get frustrated with each other, but remember you are all fighting for the same goal.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

lol S4L, I dont mean like go find a new team or something, I just mean they're not gonna get along because I'm guessing CanadianGiggs11 here isn't the type of guy who can take all that criticism without being bothered, and in the long run it'll affect his game :P

canadianfootballer

CanadianGiggs11 wrote:I have a football dilemma, I play for a Canadian soccer team. We are a very quality squad, but we have this new coach, and it seems that everything i do i can do something else, and nothing can be right to this guy. When he corrects me in a very negative way, i lose confidence.

I am sick and tired of listening to music, or other people, or watching soccer videos to gain confidence again and again. Losing it soon as i step on a field.

When i get on the field for a game, i'm very confident in myself. But when the game starts i have the three different voices yelling at me decreasing my confidence. I have the coach/player/striker partner, it's like whatever i do is the wrong. I never had this problem with any club or coach i have ever had.

I'm usually a really strong willed player, confident, and never have this problem.

so your saying your tired of listening to music people or watching soccer vids to gain confidence again and again and losing it as soon as u get on the field? Sounds like your taking the game too seriously in that part due to your coach yelling at you when a coach yells at you you should push harder in training and then carry that over to games and play real well and show him hes wrong. I have the same problem as you when i step on the field i automatically lose my confidence. dont take the game too seriously i dont mean dont practice or anything, i mean you should be thinking about playing and nothing else play with passion and heart and forget about what your coach said play with your guts and stop thinking about what the fucken coach said.

Middleman13
Veteran Member

You gotta take ctitizism as compliments.. I personally would much rahter have someone say i suck than somone say i was amazing.

No matter what level your at ..coaches are always going to yell. Ya gotta ingnore it dude. Theres nothing we can do about your prob. You gotta quit being a pussy and man aup and tell your temates to fu** off and say it wont happen again
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you will die today.

CanadianGiggs11

Honestly, i don't mind him yelling at me. Critizism i can handle. I think switching teams is maybe the best idea, because it's not that i don't play well. I just play my own way, and it benefits the team in games.

It's too the point, where the coach is picking out an individual and picks and picks. It's like im back in school for some reasons, we are grown men, this coach makes me feel like a little kid.

I'm going to play a few more games with him as coach, and if i have any more problems i have to look into switching.

CanadianGiggs11

canadianfootballer wrote:
CanadianGiggs11 wrote:I have a football dilemma, I play for a Canadian soccer team. We are a very quality squad, but we have this new coach, and it seems that everything i do i can do something else, and nothing can be right to this guy. When he corrects me in a very negative way, i lose confidence.

so your saying your tired of listening to music people or watching soccer vids to gain confidence again and again and losing it as soon as u get on the field? Sounds like your taking the game too seriously in that part due to your coach yelling at you when a coach yells at you you should push harder in training and then carry that over to games and play real well and show him hes wrong. I have the same problem as you when i step on the field i automatically lose my confidence. dont take the game too seriously i dont mean dont practice or anything, i mean you should be thinking about playing and nothing else play with passion and heart and forget about what your coach said play with your guts and stop thinking about what the fucken coach said.
Thanks a lot that really helped me out, next weeks training i will try all you have gave advice too. I might be taking it too seriously, i always been that way. Thanks though.

INTER1908
Veteran Member

Coaches stop yelling when they stop caring. Maybe he just sees how good you can be and is trying to mold you into that image in his head.