getting in the zone

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
canadianfootballer

please put tips for getting in the zone here the state of mentality where u perform at ur very best

ill start it off:
what i find useful is listening to music before a game or just regurarly during a day ronaldinho does (or did ) this i watched a documentary on his life and it showed he constantly listens to music i would recommend listening to a good beat songs i recommend are:
till i collapse- eminem
way i are- timbaland
remember the name - fort minor
good bye mr.a - the hoosiers
nothing in my way - keane
lose yourself - eminem
superstar - lupe fiasco

when listening to music u should also visualize i usually cant visualize myself but with music i can i usually find that music also gets me in a good mood thus me having a bettter performance come game time.

When u play football u should always be enjoying it i find that when i get frustrated in games (like half the time) cuz of a bad pass from my teammates or a bad play by me i seem to hate the game especially when coaches tell me what to do u should always enjoy the game i cant explain how u can do that but try watching inspiring videos of ur favourite players on youtube that helps and also watch the game on tv always cherish the incredible feeling u get when your favourite team is playing (such as for me fc barcelona) or when ur favourite national team lifted the european cup (such as spain) what i mean is train but also enjoy training enjoy the game enjoy watching the game ive sometimes found myself in long tournaments forgetting why i am playing the game i think and think and think before a match did i train enough did i? i sometimes do this and i fu** up in a match. On the other hand when i play with joy everybody my teammates, my parents, and my siblings are impressed with what i can do with the ball u can see it in their eyes u guys probably had this feeling one time or the other and its awesome.

basically what i find helpful to get in the zone is to :
a. enjoy the game and play with passion
b. listen to music before and just during ur day it often motivates u to train more

also i have read that when ur in the zone u are relaxed but with a feeling of energy but most importantly u should be having fun and showing your FULL ability not a shadow version of yourself all the top players do this in order to be successful on the pitch

you will find out in the lowest or lower levels of football (such as school) the better players are the ones with shitloads of confidence i found that i usually have more skill then them but zero confidence at times. But in a few games of mine i have gotten in the zone and enjoy the game while playing and i find that im the best player on the pitch.

Obviousily im not a master of getting in the zone ( half the time i dont
) but i just wanted to share my knowledge on the times i have.

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

canadianfootballer wrote:please put tips for getting in the zone here the state of mentality where u perform at ur very best

ill start it off:
what i find useful is listening to music before a game or just regurarly during a day ronaldinho does (or did ) this i watched a documentary on his life and it showed he constantly listens to music i would recommend listening to a good beat songs i recommend are:
till i collapse- eminem
way i are- timbaland
remember the name - fort minor
good bye mr.a - the hoosiers
nothing in my way - keane
lose yourself - eminem
superstar - lupe fiasco
I also listen to those songs to get warmed up. but i don't do it as much because i've found (this might just be a stupid thought in my mind) but whenever i listen to music ,from a CD or ipod, not the radio though, my team losses but i play really well.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

i got through a big regisme of mental preperation (mostly for big matches)

A.
the day before:
-a good healthy meal
-a good night's sleep
-some basic ballwork (touch against a wall mainly)

B.
the morning:
-an early start (7.30)
-good breakfast
-juggle for a while
-pack all my stuff
-hype music which actually changes my style of play :shock:
e.g.
if i want a cool calm and collected preformance (with clinical execution, quick thinking and good pressure managment but still wired to the max and ready to give it all) i listen to classical music
i call it fabregas mode

if i want a real playful and creative preformance (with lots of fancies and silky skills) i listen to trance or techno or rap
i call it ronaldinho mode

if i want a lung busting preformance with high adrenaline and high competiveness (lots of running and tackling where i stick to the simple basics) i listen to rock
i call it steven gerrard mode

yeah it sounds weird but this actually works for me, its like i trigger a mental state or something is really hard to explain :lol:

C.
the journey:
-more music

D.
the dressing room:
-i recieve my postion and number
-run my coaches orders and my positional task through my head over and over again

E.
the warm up:
-get fully focused and awake
-work up a sweat so i'm warm
-take a little time to do my unique technical warm up routine

after all that i'm usually in the zone and ready for the game

F.
the game:
-all though the game i celebrate the positives and forget about the negatives (like if we let in a goal i forget about it and try push for an equaliser) and i always try think to myself never give up and if something goes wrong forget about it

usually this has led to succesful preformances in the past, also i usually preform best when playing in fabregas mode... like always after listening to classical

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

another amazing post from NBP... what i like to do is eat healthy and drink a lot of water the day be4 and go to bed early. wake up (depends on what time the game is.) then i hop in the shower....it wakes me up :D . pack my bag eat breakfast/lunch/dinner pack my stuff get into the car and listen to

AC/DC- various songs

Fort Minor-Remember the name

Lincoln Park- Bleed it out

and some other songs by small bands...

i listen to these songs during the car ride. but be4 i listen to the music i talk with my dad about some things to do during the game/the team we are playing and just go over what i shuld do.

when i am listening to music i visulize what i want to do...realistically in the match.

once i get to field i greet my teammates and coaches and warm up. i listen to what the coach and then im ready to play.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Realize the state of flow is not actually executed by mental preparations; it is developed from a balanced state of mind. Your "rituals" are just motivators for mental imagery and confidence (which is a positive feature it possesses of course, I'm just pointing out that's not how you achieve flow). Flow is the state of mind when thinking is no longer required, and the mind simulates the body movements by its lonesome and the movements are free-flowing, until the person making the movements suddenly re-exert messages (or "regains control") of him/herself. Flow is, as a matter of fact, a state that is very hard to achieve, and might only last mere seconds in its effect. That is up to the person and their ability to change the concepts and perspectives of their mind, to balance the scales between "challenges", the objective needed to be overcome, and "ability", the power one possesses to change result and/or affect outcome. Specifically, flow can only be achieved in certain activities for different individuals. Ex. when I play the piano, I kinda seem to space out and think about other stuff (cuz piano is boring anyways and I got stuff to plan after I'm done) and time just slowly passes by and when I'm back to my senses again, I'm almost done my song. In soccer however, anxiety or boredom (inbalance of the scales) sometimes comes upon me, and it might be once every 10 games that I can reach flow.

Btw, top athletes, from all sports (I'm not gonna name examples as it'll pull in controversy), they can constantly reach into the state of flow, so that as they say, "everything seems to slow down and I can see everything". If you can do that, great paths await you. Oh btw, this is coming from my guide (if you need a reference) :P