Sleep Loss

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
MSILancer7
Veteran Member

As my new high school season slowly approaches me (first tryout is August 16th) i am beginning to have the same problem that i had last year. With every day closer that i get to the tryouts i get less and less sleep each night. Last year i only got about ten hours of sleep in the two days leading up to my tryouts. I was just wondering if anybody had any tips on getting to sleep faster and sleeping longer (without drugs) and if you did could you please tell me. Thanks in advance :) :) :)

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

i read for like 30 minutes right be4 i got to bed and i fall right asleep i dunno how u culd sleep longer though......maybe try going back to bed when u wake up.

soccer_after_death
Veteran Member

well, just try and do something that relaxes and calms u down before going to bed...whether it be reading a book, listening to music (not metal lol)...or just watching ur favorite TV show... if that doesn't work, go outside and train really hard until u get tired, when u get home u should fall asleep right away:D...this way, u will also have the confidence that comes with hard and determined training...hope that helps...let me know how it goes...

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

also dont drink caffeine or excercise right be4 u go to sleep....try to clear ur mind....and relax

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

I have a problem with falling asleep. I'm tired but I can't actually go to sleep. I try reading before bed, it always works for me.

Don't drink pop or any other caffinated drink close to bed (like 3-4 hours).

You can try watching a movie, or tv. Also try not to take a long nap during the day, something light like 20 minutes is good, anything longer and you'll have trouble falling asleep. I think that is my problem, I usually take an hour to 1 hour and 30 minute nap usually everday, too long.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

soccer_after_death wrote:well, just try and do something that relaxes and calms u down before going to bed...whether it be reading a book, listening to music (not metal lol)...or just watching ur favorite TV show... if that doesn't work, go outside and train really hard until u get tired, when u get home u should fall asleep right away:D...this way, u will also have the confidence that comes with hard and determined training...hope that helps...let me know how it goes...
Exercises stimulates awareness and it actually makes it harder to sleep. It's recommended to start any daily exercise regimen 5-7 hours before you need to fall asleep.

canadianfootballer

drink milk im serious theres a checmical in it that makes u a bit sleepy

John_Bob
Veteran Member

arsenalfc08 wrote:I have a problem with falling asleep. I'm tired but I can't actually go to sleep. I try reading before bed, it always works for me.

You can try watching a movie, or tv. Also try not to take a long nap during the day, something light like 20 minutes is good, anything longer and you'll have trouble falling asleep. I think that is my problem, I usually take an hour to 1 hour and 30 minute nap usually everday, too long.
I am a napper too. Everyday at around 1:00 I have to take a nap for at least an hour, and then I can not go to sleep at night and the next day I am tired so I take a nap, it is a vicious cycle.

canadianfootballer

John_Bob wrote:
arsenalfc08 wrote:I have a problem with falling asleep. I'm tired but I can't actually go to sleep. I try reading before bed, it always works for me.

I am a napper too. Everyday at around 1:00 I have to take a nap for at least an hour, and then I can not go to sleep at night and the next day I am tired so I take a nap, it is a vicious cycle.
my mom has that kind of cycle too lol no offense intended though m8

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Hey guys today i had my first of to tryouts for my club team (not high school yet) and i tried the reading thing and i went on a nice 2- mile hike at around 3, i didn't go to bed until 10, and although it too me about 45 minutes to get to bed once i did i didn't wake up til 1 (to go pee) and then i fell right back asleep. Oh and tonight im going to do the same thing plus im gonna drink a glass of milk.

canadianfootballer

MSILancer7 wrote:Hey guys today i had my first of to tryouts for my club team (not high school yet) and i tried the reading thing and i went on a nice 2- mile hike at around 3, i didn't go to bed until 10, and although it too me about 45 minutes to get to bed once i did i didn't wake up til 1 (to go pee) and then i fell right back asleep. Oh and tonight im going to do the same thing plus im gonna drink a glass of milk.
good milk is good for u also listento music before u sleep like others said before but make it like soft music not music that gets u pumped get songs such as apologize

freestylejordan

canadianfootballer wrote:drink milk im serious theres a checmical in it that makes u a bit sleepy
That would be the substance melatonin. It relaxes the body making it easier to fall asleep.

Personally for me intense exercise before bed works like a charm! Its arguable that its stupid to do so but it works for me! Just make sure to shower before going to bed. Try sprints and resistance exercises using your own body weight. If this doesnt work and just increases your insomnia stop immediately.

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

freestylejordan wrote:
canadianfootballer wrote:drink milk im serious theres a checmical in it that makes u a bit sleepy
That would be the substance melatonin. It relaxes the body making it easier to fall asleep.
Yea it definetly worked i drank a glass of milk and then started reading but i could only read for 15 minutes because i was so tired dand then i fell asleep within 10-15 minutes. My second day of club tryouts went okay and the coach said that he'd get back to me latter this week and tell me if i made it or not, so ill let you know once i do.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

freestylejordan wrote:

not true melatonin is produced by the pineal gland at the base of the brain....melatonin regulates your wake, sleep cycle. e.g. thats why you usually wake up around the same time everyday.

freestylejordan

MUFC1994 wrote:
freestylejordan wrote:

not true melatonin is produced by the pineal gland at the base of the brain....melatonin regulates your wake, sleep cycle. e.g. thats why you usually wake up around the same time everyday.

Sorry I should rephrase what I stated earlier. Milk contains some kind of substance that aids the release of melatonin from the pineal gland. I'll have to research later and find out what exactly that substance is.