Lone Striker

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
madstriker09
New User

Lone Striker

Post by madstriker09 » 22 Mar 2008, 04:09

I've always played the reserved striker, almost like Maradona or Kaka, and have found a lot of success at it. I scored often an orchestrated the offense.

Lately, however, my coach has me playing a lone striker (Why? I have not a clue.) The midfield I am working with is decent and can send good balls through, but I was wondering if anybody had any instruction or advice on things I should make sure to be doing.

I've been watching film of Eto'o, Torres, Ronaldo, etc. But it is hard to find anything over the internet except goals and tricks, and every footballer knows that those are only the iceing on top of the cake.

More than anything else I probably need tips on positioning. Because of my previous position, I am used to creating the oppurtunity for myself or others rather than relying on my mates.

Thanks

Davidson9
Veteran Member

Post by Davidson9 » 22 Mar 2008, 04:16

well, if you have succeded in a reserved striker role, then just ask your coach to go back to that position and maybe he will think it is in the best interest of the team.

madstriker09
New User

Post by madstriker09 » 22 Mar 2008, 04:21

I play a reserved striker for an ODP team and for an academy. This is club and my coach (who I highly respect for he was capped several times for his native Macedonia and was a great goal scorer) is shifting his tactics.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz » 22 Mar 2008, 04:44

Even if you're playing a second striker like Kaka', you need to rely on your teammates to give you good passes and good options. Soccer's a team sport. If you're set on playing the lone striker, you need good timing and explosiveness. Speed always exceed skill, as long as you can finish. Watch a player like Drogba (even if I hate him), he plays lone striker to two defenders and still manages to score goals.

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz » 22 Mar 2008, 09:28

Always be an option in behind are you quick? If so that is a brilliant option, always be willing to run into the channels, dont be stagnant or go into the hole you usually play in so often, just be a willing runner, try to make intelligent runs in between the centre backs and in between the centre back and the full back.
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

madstriker09
New User

Post by madstriker09 » 22 Mar 2008, 22:49

Thanks.

Today I had a game and the team had a solid result (3-0). I managed to put one in from a brilliant cross by our left winger (I only needed to stick out my foot).

And speed I would say is one of my strongest traits, and I found much success today in making runs inbetween and behind the center backs.

Thanks again.

Evan
Veteran Member

Post by Evan » 23 Mar 2008, 00:48

I believe that Raul has played several games recently as a "lone striker" because Van Nistelrooy has been out. You may want to watch Real Madrid's game vs Valencia tomorrow if your channel shows it.
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 23 Mar 2008, 01:17

You have to be able to hold up the ball with defenders breathing down your neck.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 23 Mar 2008, 03:26

get ball side as quickly as possible to give your midfielders an attacking option to pass to as well.

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Post by Alexio1092 » 23 Mar 2008, 06:06

soccer11 wrote:get ball side as quickly as possible to give your midfielders an attacking option to pass to as well.
What do you mean by ball-side mate?! I have a general idea, but do you mean getting behind the ball or..? :)

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 23 Mar 2008, 09:20

i am guessing he means get close to the area where the ball is being played around. If you are a lone striker you need to be able to effectively cover the whole area upfront by yourself thus stamina is important as well.

Basically you have to be the complete striker to play in a one top formation. Speed and Power and quick thinking.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Re: Lone Striker

Post by ScottyBoy » 23 Mar 2008, 12:52

madstriker09 wrote:I've always played the reserved striker, almost like Maradona or Kaka, and have found a lot of success at it. I scored often an orchestrated the offense.

Lately, however, my coach has me playing a lone striker (Why? I have not a clue.) The midfield I am working with is decent and can send good balls through, but I was wondering if anybody had any instruction or advice on things I should make sure to be doing.

I've been watching film of Eto'o, Torres, Ronaldo, etc. But it is hard to find anything over the internet except goals and tricks, and every footballer knows that those are only the iceing on top of the cake.

More than anything else I probably need tips on positioning. Because of my previous position, I am used to creating the oppurtunity for myself or others rather than relying on my mates.

Thanks
if you compare yourself with maradona or kaka you should have no problem figuring it out yourself

:lol: i'll try to help aswell :wink:

there are two kinds of lone strikers- the LONE striker. you play up top youself and are expected to turn, run and make your own chances, get into the box for crosses etc a bastard to play as its alot of running

or the lone striker. generally you have to be a tall strong player, you stand on the last defender with your back to goal receiving the ball into your feet or body to hold up up wait for support. Then you generally lumber into the box and wait for the cross

A lone striker is a team player no matter what style you play
your either running your socks off chasing long passes or you hold the ball up to give teammates time to get up the feild

its a hard shift and i dont envy you :wink:

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 24 Mar 2008, 01:31

Alexio1092 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:get ball side as quickly as possible to give your midfielders an attacking option to pass to as well.
What do you mean by ball-side mate?! I have a general idea, but do you mean getting behind the ball or..? :)
i mean go to the side of the field where the ball is. if the ball is on the left side, run over to the left and vice versa.

footballwiz613
New User

Re: Lone Striker

Post by footballwiz613 » 20 Jan 2016, 04:07

Hey man I know its a little late but I came across this string randomly, and would like to provide my perspective on the position.

the way the game has evolved I feel as though a lone striker is the most optimal option only if he is used as a target man. That being said the lone striker needs to keep the opponents goal behind him in transition whilst staying aware of his shadow's(defender's) positioning. When I was just starting to play striker regularly I learned that checking in and checking out (moving towards the opposing goal to off balance defender then moving into position to receive) is a great way to create space for a turn or quick give and go, either of which can be turned into a breakaway depending on the situation.

This is just a brief description, if anybody is interested in more detail feel free to e-mail me at akdaburn@gmail.com