Your Opinion on How Much Dissent is TOO Much Dissent?

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

(Which I am, btw.)

As a referee, I have to say, honestly, I can't remember if I've ever given a card for something said to ME. I've been known to card players getting too verbally aggressive with each other, spectators, coaches, etc., but I think I'm a pretty thick skinned ref. I always think twice and try to see that there will always be someone who doesn't like my call, specifically those who it is against, and unless there is swearing or deep, deep insults to my family or something (Past the "Your mother!" level, of course. :p ) then I'll just wave it off. I dunno, maybe I'm too lenient. :p

As a player, though, I've seen, and been on the carding end of refs who won't hear you have two words about a call, which I think is really unfair. I know I really won't influence a ref's call with my complaining, but in the moment, I think the ref should understand a little anger directed towards them, especially in the matter of a very close 50-50 call, or a game changing one.

Your thoughts?

2brown347
Veteran Member

I think a ref should hear what players have to say but if they start to argue aggressive then you should card them to keep the game inline. Today I had a game with a horrible ref who made lots of bad calls and got yelled at alot, but never gave cards for kids getting into his face and stuff. If I was him and one of the kids treated me like he was treated then I would have carded him, (then knocked him out :wink: )

So basiclly I think you should hear players out, but if they get mouthy with you send them off.

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

In one chmapionship game I played, the whole other team mouthed to the referee and he carded half of their team. It was great cause the other team had absolutely no class and showed no respect toward the game or the ref and what makes it really great is that we beat them earlier in the tourney and then we beat them again this game 5-0. And is it me or are the littlest one always the ones with the biggest mouths :lol: ?

2brown347
Veteran Member

This was during a tournament to. The ref was a joke though. He sent a kid off for pushing a kid, about 10 minutes later the kid jumped back on the feild( it was a indoor game) and the ref didn't do anything about it.

We ended up geting 2nd

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Any disrespectful bitching to the ref should be reprimanded, as well as a team crowding the ref. Both are dispicible in my book, and are in my opinion the biggest problem with the game today (yes, ahead of diving). They should make a rule that anyone who talks to the ref other than the captain gets booked.
God damn brewery!!!

gazzajanimal
New User

Hi folks, newbie here. As a rugby union referee I have a lot of sympathy for soccer refs, especially at lower levels of the game. In my opinion FIFA should have clamped down on dissent years ago.

In rugby there hasn't been much dissent mainly because all players realise that without a ref there is no game. When I was reffing I would allow players other than the captain to question my decisions as long as it was fair, legitimate and politely asked. Before the start of the game I'd help the players by letting them know what I expected of them and what punishment I would dish out if they overstepped the mark.

After all it's all about communication, it would help a lot in soccer if refs explained their decisions as well.
Did you put the cat out?

- I didn't realise it was on fire!

SHOT234

BGbeast23 wrote:In one chmapionship game I played, the whole other team mouthed to the referee and he carded half of their team. It was great cause the other team had absolutely no class and showed no respect toward the game or the ref and what makes it really great is that we beat them earlier in the tourney and then we beat them again this game 5-0. And is it me or are the littlest one always the ones with the biggest mouths :lol: ?

yeah i almost hit a small kid on the field cause he started mouthing off to me about me and my team but i showed self-controlled and meged the kid 5 times i counted

"If what you're working for really matters, you'll give it all you've got"
Nido Qubein