Mental confidence problem

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
Middleman13
Veteran Member

Mental confidence problem

Post by Middleman13 »

There is this guy on my Soccer team and he makes me play bad. i dont know why or how but i just play horrible when im around him. I get extremly nervous and i just choke. This kid is a real prick and i dont like him at all though..he thinks he is better than everyone and a major ball hog. He is an alright player. I need help to overcome this problem becasue i have to be on this team for the whole season and it just started.
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you will die today.
rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski »

Try and stay away from him I guess. Just focus on your game and don't let him distract you. I'll move this to the competing section as well.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin
Jimaldo

Post by Jimaldo »

I know how you feel I had this cocky scouser prick that had the same effect on me last season. He used to moan, moan, moan, and never shut his mouth. I felt pressured to be playing with him but then I realised there wasn't much point in being nervous as I didn't even like him so why should I care what he says. Rather than letting him intimidate you, phyke (dunno if that's how it is spelt :S sorry!) youself up to ignore him, fuel your anger to your advantage in a game - and when he moans at you just tell him to shut it, don't let him push you around verbally or physically! In training, if there's ever a 50/50 with him, make sure you win it taking no prisoners :wink: Good luck buddy!
Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life »

Your are experiencing a very common problem. All players are nervous at one point (for whatever reason that may be) and play far from their best. Really, we can tell you not to worry, to not fear mistakes, or whatever, but that's much easier said than done. Think to yourself: why does he make me play bad? Am I afraid to mess up in front of him? Does he make me look bad? In the end, you will realize that he is nothing more than a prick. You shouldn't worry about what he thinks, because you know people with attitudes like that aren't going anywhere. You're letting him win if he's intimidating you off your game. You can't let that happen. Take no BS from him, because you're tired of dealing with that crap. Prove to him you're a better player. What's more, is that you're proving that to yourself. Most likely he will be stubborn and not except the fact you're a good player (probably better than him), but the rest of your team will know and your coach will know. Those are the people who matter.
rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski »

Jimaldo wrote:I know how you feel I had this cocky scouser prick that had the same effect on me last season. He used to moan, moan, moan, and never shut his mouth. I felt pressured to be playing with him but then I realised there wasn't much point in being nervous as I didn't even like him so why should I care what he says. Rather than letting him intimidate you, phyke (dunno if that's how it is spelt :S sorry!) youself up to ignore him, fuel your anger to your advantage in a game - and when he moans at you just tell him to shut it, don't let him push you around verbally or physically! In training, if there's ever a 50/50 with him, make sure you win it taking no prisoners :wink: Good luck buddy!
It's psych. :wink: But what you and Soccer4Life stated was right, don't take sh*t from him and just play your game, don't worry about what the does.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin
Darksp00n

Post by Darksp00n »

Well... you said he thinks hes the best? But i guess he isnt right?
There are two things you can do:

1) Ignore him.

2) Beat him in every training session for example 1on1 dribblings. Be agressive you mustn't lose!!! Because then you get in the old "ohh this is a loser"- status. But keep one thing in your mind: be friendly. Like for example when you pass him with an amazing trick and he protests tell him with a friendly smile: "Next time you will get me" and think to your self: "AHAHAH PWNED HIS ASS" :D
Middleman13
Veteran Member

Post by Middleman13 »

Well...i prolly cant beat him cause he is really really good..Great tactical player wonderfull dribbler and great first touch...but thats what i am..he playes exaclty like i do...Its like hesw takin g my spot
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you will die today.
ben23

Post by ben23 »

kill him. that way, you won't have to play soccer with him anymore.
oobee007

Post by oobee007 »

ben23 wrote:kill him. that way, you won't have to play soccer with him anymore.
Yeah you can play soccer whilst getting touched by men in the prison shower!!!
Mark Viduka - I don't care if we lose everygame as long as we win the league!

ben23

Post by ben23 »

that only happens if you get caught