Best Goalkeeper(s)?

Discuss and compare your favorite players
alonso
Senior Member
Posts: 112
Joined: 09 Apr 2007, 05:33

Post by alonso » 14 Apr 2007, 18:56

Club: Kuzack
Country: Cech
Both: Cech

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski
Posts: 6203
Joined: 17 Jan 2007, 04:23
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by rzadzinski » 14 Apr 2007, 19:00

You really think Kuszczak is that good? He's not even a starter for Man U., not just yet.

Cech isn't too great with the Czech's either. (WC 2006)

Just my opinion though.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie
Posts: 3767
Joined: 07 Jul 2006, 02:08
Location: Canada

Post by gnarlyjim » 14 Apr 2007, 22:41

powell wrote:
gnarlyjim wrote:Club: Buffon
Country: Buffon
Both: Casillas
sorry gnalry but i found this funny. You think buffon is the best keeper for his club and his country but not for both :lol:
Yeah, what I was trying to do was think of a keeper that was one of the best for his club and his country, and I didn't want to say Buffon again. :wink:
Image

ballackfan
Veteran Member
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 22:54

Post by ballackfan » 15 Apr 2007, 00:04

Sorry to say, but I don't think you've seen enough of Dida. He's nowhere near a Cech or Buffon. Dida's great at stopping penalties, but he makes to many mistakes during games to be up there with top couple/few guys in world.
If you talking about mistakes then you have to account the defense of the team. Yes, you're probably right, I haven't seen much of Dida, but I do watched Serie A, especially Milan, are some of the most exciting team to watch. As you say, he make mistakes, who doesn't?

How I rate a goalkeeper is that I looked other qualities besides how many mistakes and not take my conclusion on how bad he is. It certain that a goalkeeper can not always be able to keep cleansheets. How I see it being between the posts isn't the most easiest job in the world. I believed Dida is a real talented goalkeeper, despite the fact of his performance this year. There can not be just a reason that a team loses because the keeper can not save from spectacular strike or a great effort goal. It is foolish to look how good a keeper is that way.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie
Posts: 3767
Joined: 07 Jul 2006, 02:08
Location: Canada

Post by gnarlyjim » 15 Apr 2007, 00:37

ballackfan wrote:the keeper can not save from spectacular strike or a great effort goal. It is foolish to look how good a keeper is that way.
Is it? In my opinion, a better keeper will be able to save that spectacular strike.

In fact, that is precisely the way I judge a keeper... how well he does at keeping the ball out of the net, of course with other little things mixed in there.
Image

ballackfan
Veteran Member
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 22:54

Post by ballackfan » 15 Apr 2007, 03:25

Maybe my words are too hard to understand. The situation of a goal being scored. No goalkeeper should be blamed due to the fact that spectacular strike 'scored'. Yes, you considering saving spectacular strike are great, but what I mean is that goal being scored on, considered spectacular, shouldn't label the keeper. Even if the simplest of goals scored shouldn't label the keeper either, sometimes a simple goal are clever, surprise, creative. But then stats tend to tell everything so vague.

Example of a keeper, Carnizares. A well-known keeper in Spain and Europe, due to his experience and his ability, just can't seem keep the ball out of the net. Even with a simplest of goals. Same can be said for many other well-knowns such as Casillas, Kahn, Buffon, or Cech. Even with the simplest strike, they just can't save. Maybe that may clarify what I'm trying to say.
Last edited by ballackfan on 15 Apr 2007, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie
Posts: 3767
Joined: 07 Jul 2006, 02:08
Location: Canada

Post by gnarlyjim » 15 Apr 2007, 03:27

Alright, I understand what you're saying. Thanks for the clarification. :wink:
Image

milanese
Veteran Member
Posts: 317
Joined: 12 Mar 2006, 07:05
Location: Canada

Post by milanese » 15 Apr 2007, 22:33

ballackfan wrote:
Sorry to say, but I don't think you've seen enough of Dida. He's nowhere near a Cech or Buffon. Dida's great at stopping penalties, but he makes to many mistakes during games to be up there with top couple/few guys in world.
If you talking about mistakes then you have to account the defense of the team. Yes, you're probably right, I haven't seen much of Dida, but I do watched Serie A, especially Milan, are some of the most exciting team to watch. As you say, he make mistakes, who doesn't?

How I rate a goalkeeper is that I looked other qualities besides how many mistakes and not take my conclusion on how bad he is. It certain that a goalkeeper can not always be able to keep cleansheets. How I see it being between the posts isn't the most easiest job in the world. I believed Dida is a real talented goalkeeper, despite the fact of his performance this year. There can not be just a reason that a team loses because the keeper can not save from spectacular strike or a great effort goal. It is foolish to look how good a keeper is that way.
It's the number and timing of mistakes that makes the difference. Do you see Buffon or Cech make mistakes in vital points of the game. I know I don't. Dida does have talent, I can't argue there, but I don't see him really improving at this point in his career. Personally, I don't get the sort of confidence I feel at the back when there's a guy like Buffon back there. Someone who organizes the defence, makes key saves, and avoids brain cramps that cost the team.

jcdenton
Veteran Member
Posts: 925
Joined: 18 Apr 2005, 18:45
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Post by jcdenton » 27 Apr 2007, 14:17

It really is interesting how the U.S. has produced so many quality keepers in relation to it's small amount of decent field players.
can i add just a small comment...
Serbian goalkeeper coach Milutin Soskic has been US national team GK coach since 1993...
maybe that's why, they learn from the best... :wink:

btw, he's my friends grandfather...

belija91
Veteran Member
Posts: 372
Joined: 16 Jul 2006, 07:25

Post by belija91 » 27 Apr 2007, 14:22

jcdenton every post with you has something to do with serbia lol
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

jcdenton
Veteran Member
Posts: 925
Joined: 18 Apr 2005, 18:45
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Post by jcdenton » 27 Apr 2007, 14:58

belija91 wrote:jcdenton every post with you has something to do with serbia lol
but everything is true...
what can i do, i cannot go anywhere outside Serbia because i need visa even to go to Bulgaria or Romania, but only 15 years ago Serbia was decades in front of these countries...
so i live in my small world posting about all the things i know... :wink:

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member
Posts: 1925
Joined: 11 Aug 2006, 17:36

Post by Real_Zidane » 28 Apr 2007, 15:14

jcdenton wrote:
belija91 wrote:jcdenton every post with you has something to do with serbia lol
but everything is true...
what can i do, i cannot go anywhere outside Serbia because i need visa even to go to Bulgaria or Romania, but only 15 years ago Serbia was decades in front of these countries...
so i live in my small world posting about all the things i know... :wink:

EF wouldn't be the same without it. :D
Image

jcdenton
Veteran Member
Posts: 925
Joined: 18 Apr 2005, 18:45
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Post by jcdenton » 28 Apr 2007, 17:38

Real_Zidane wrote: EF wouldn't be the same without it. :D
thanks :wink:

dareliss
Veteran Member
Posts: 864
Joined: 18 Nov 2006, 22:20

Post by dareliss » 28 Apr 2007, 17:47

i think kahn is preety good for hes age.
Impossible Is Nothing. Impossible is the last shot. Impossible is the last game.

Image

Sig by me... :)

belija91
Veteran Member
Posts: 372
Joined: 16 Jul 2006, 07:25

Post by belija91 » 29 Apr 2007, 12:21

lol yeh true I see your point. But what do you mean "decades in front of these countries" decades in front in what?
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

Post Reply