henry for his grace
anelka for his style
robinho for his joy
diouf for his cunning
van persie for his coolness

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 03 Feb 2007, 21:05

I find it weird that I am an Arsenal fan, yet my favorite player is Rooney. Why? I just think that he is young, and still competing in one of the best leagues in the world, on the first place team in that league. He is scoring against all of the best teams, and playing as if he was much older. He just has so much potential. He could be the best in the world someday.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 03 Feb 2007, 21:30

I believe Rooney will be the deadliest striker in the world in a few years. But I don't think he will be the best/highest-skilled player in the world. He has a goal scoring finish, not much of flare or anything of the sort of moves and tricks. But he has an amazing finish around the net, which will most likely be the best very shortly.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 03 Feb 2007, 23:13

Honestly, I think some parts of Rooney's game are overrated. Like his long range shooting. Sorry, but I think that he basically goes up and hits the ball as hard as he can when he takes long range shots or volleys. I don't mean the ones within 20-25 yards, those he takes well, but shots past 25 yards out or further, I really think he just wacks at it as hard as he can, which is unlike a player like Gerrard or Rise who can place a shot from distance with an extreme amount of power.

Also, he is very incosistent. Some games he beats defenders whenever he pleases, and others he gets it taken away every time. He gives the ball away way too much. There are times when he'll play a perfectly weighted through ball to put a man in on goal, and then there are times when he makes a stupid give away that completely kills a possible United counterattack. He has greatly struggled to score goals also. Fergie even had to play him as a winger for a few games to take some of the pressure off of him because of his faillure to score. When he's at his best, he can produce spectacular plays, but unfortunately sometimes he makes rookie mistakes. Overall I think he needs to mature as a player and get more consistent before he can be ranked among the top few strikers in the world.
Click it

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 04 Feb 2007, 02:08

Those are some very valid points, ajc. And, I don't think that Rooney is close to being the most skilled player in the world. I just said he was my favorite. It's hard for me to say why, really, but something about his personality just makes me think highly of him.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 04 Feb 2007, 02:47

mine is fabio cannavaro because, me being a defender, i look up to him and watch how he defends. he is the best defender in the world, a tough tackler, and also, in my opinion, tied for being the most athletic player in the world with tierry henry. he is the toal package.

gunnerz23
Veteran Member

Post by gunnerz23 » 04 Feb 2007, 03:01

To be honest, i cant stand Rooney. He has a shocking temperment and like ajc said, some parts of his game are pretty overated. His finishing is superb and he is deadly wen he is partnered with Saha. His pace, control and agility are something to be admired. I like him as a player, but as a person, i dont really think he is great.
forum for all arsenal fans:http://www.talkarsenal.com

"Theres nothing Im scared of in football."- Thierry Henry

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 04 Feb 2007, 04:11

I don't mind Rooney as a person. He has so much potential, but makes lots of mistakes still. I think eventually he will be one of the top strikers in the world, but right now, no.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 04 Feb 2007, 04:13

Soccer4Life wrote:Those are some very valid points, ajc. And, I don't think that Rooney is close to being the most skilled player in the world. I just said he was my favorite. It's hard for me to say why, really, but something about his personality just makes me think highly of him.
Well since your a girl, I think I know why you like him. He is incredibly handsome.

Hehe, but seriously, it's fine by me that he's your favorite player. I was never trying to change your mind. I was just saying my personal opinion about him. And plus just look at him, what's not to love! :lol:
Click it

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 04 Feb 2007, 04:16

Haha, that's pretty funny ajc. :lol:

I think I have a man crush on him...lol jokes. :D

He can score some nice goals, but the zoom in on him after the goals aren't the prettiest. :wink:
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 04 Feb 2007, 14:11

ajc wrote:
Soccer4Life wrote:Those are some very valid points, ajc. And, I don't think that Rooney is close to being the most skilled player in the world. I just said he was my favorite. It's hard for me to say why, really, but something about his personality just makes me think highly of him.
Well since your a girl, I think I know why you like him. He is incredibly handsome.

Hehe, but seriously, it's fine by me that he's your favorite player. I was never trying to change your mind. I was just saying my personal opinion about him. And plus just look at him, what's not to love! :lol:
Eww... he's not handsome at all. I really hope you were joking...

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 04 Feb 2007, 15:04

Haha, Soccer4life. He was joking. Yeah, Rooney isn't the best looking guy, so I doubt his looks come into account when people choose him as their favourite :P. Then again, my favourite is Ronaldinho... he's not the best looking guy either. Anyway, anyone else want to share their favourite player?