Famous players with number 8

Discuss and compare your favorite players
calisoccer

I joined a new team this year and being new I didn't get the number I wanted (7 C. Ronaldos #) But I got number 8 which isnt to bad. but I dont know any pros with that number. So does anybody know any pros with the #8?
thanks
One Man's heaven is another mans hell

expert
Site Admin

If you ask me, the player is more important than his number, but anyways... Paul Gascoigne and Hristo Stoichkov used to wear No.8, they are the two most popular players I can think of who played with that number

powell
English Meister

It shouldn't really matter to you about what number becuase it wont make you play and better or worse but here are a few players who worn the No.8 shirt: Gerrard, Rooney and as expert said gazza.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

I cant really think of too many cuz there are several good players who have that number, but Rooney has number 8 at man utd.

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Well, Ian Wright and Freddie Ljungberg are both #8. Fat Frank is one also. There are a ton of them, I personally don't like the number, but whatever.
God damn brewery!!!

~Dynamic_Dinamo~

Theres also me 8) :roll: ......
As of last year anyways

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Stoichkov, Rooney, Gerrard, ~Dynamic_Dinamo~ :P .. it really doesn't matter.

BosnianNedim

I wear #8 too, I always wanted #9 but...when I got #8 on the 1st team i played for i've been wearing it even since! oh Davids also wears #8

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Well a number do signified a player. A number 9 for example bring Ronaldo up in my head. But then to others it may be a different player. I remembered that when Quaresma gone to Barcelona he did picked up Figo's number 7 shirt. A player like Ronaldinho would be called R10( or 10R) for some people, or Ronaldo R9. If you say the number is not important that's perfectly ok, but for the some fan the number is what relate the player to name. And that being said not just in profession but, youth players also can be included.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Exactly ballackfan, I can totally relate to what you are saying! I wanted the number 9, when I was a fan of Ronaldo. That was three years ago. After that season I became a fan of Zidane and always wanted the number 10 but couldnt get it till this year (and my team made it to the final!). So when the next season starts, I want to wear 19, like Messi. You could say your morale enhances to a higher level when you are wearing the number of a soccer star you would love to be.

Anyways, back to number 8, I had that too back in grade 10.

Here are the soccer stars with number 8 jersey:

Frank Lampard (Chelsea FC and National team)

Wayne Rooney (Man U)

Emerson (Real Madrid)

Riquelme (Villareal CF)

Kaka (National Team)

Michael Essien (National Team)

Gatusso (National Team and Inter Milan)

Thats all I can tell

~Dynamic_Dinamo~

Does anyone know if there is some kind of restriction to the numbers you can use or do professionals just not choose them. For example #99,0, and basically any above like 30?

expert
Site Admin

I think that back in the day they used to run from 1-18 or 22, nowadays there's no limit that I'm aware of.
Also some clubs may "retire" specific jersey numbers in honor of a great player

gunnerz23
Veteran Member

yer. That happens a lot when clubs retire numbers. That happned to Pele at Santos. It also happened to Zola but i forgot which club :oops:
forum for all arsenal fans:http://www.talkarsenal.com

"Theres nothing Im scared of in football."- Thierry Henry

KPatel

Zola was with Chelsea wasn't he?

EdgarDavids8
New User

Edgar Davids for Holland back when he played.