Cristiano Ronaldo and Diving

Discuss and compare your favorite players
Post Reply
Germinho
New User
Posts: 24
Joined: 01 Dec 2006, 03:39
Location: Miami,FL

Post

Now i like Cristiano Ronaldo as a player. In interviews he's a cool guy it seems as well. But now, EVERYONE is talking crap about him because of this diving nonsense. Eric Cantona is talking about Joga Bonito and not diving and all that crap. He freakin' kung fu kicked a fan. Gareth Southgate is calling Ronaldo a serial diver. I'm SURE Southgate has never dived before. But i AM sure that he has fouled. Therefore, he's a serial fouler.

Now look, there is not ONE person in professional football that has not dived before. Cantona has done it, Rooney has, Ronaldo of course has, Brazilian Ronaldo has, ect. All these great people. Oh yeah and Ronaldinho ALWAYS does it but no one says anything because they're in love with him. A dive is when you fall down on purpose to get a foul. You HAVE to do it! Its called taking the foul. Even the slightest touch on you and you fall down, it isn't cheating, its smart play. You get a freekick that way and create chances for your team. Southgate is just mad because his team sucks.(No offense to any M'Brough fans out there, im just angry lol :) )

I coach an U14 team right now and i tell them always, "Take the foul! Fall down! Kick the ball a little to the side and fall down to get the freekick!" Its strategy. That's why i see Ronaldo as such a good player because he creates chances. Yes its not a thing that too many people like, but he DOES create chances. Diving is just as bad as fouling. Those people who stick their leg out to hit someone when clearly they have no chance at getting the ball. THAT IS WORSE THAN DIVING! When you dive, who is getting hurt? No one. Probably you if you hit the ground bad or something. But when people foul on purpose, they are risking injuring the other player but i don't see any talk about fouling on any football news stations. I see some guy kick another in the back of the knees or something, they just say oh no he's gonna get fined OH WELL. But Ronaldo falls down and the whole world erupts with "He's an assh**e, he sucks, he can't play, all he does is dive." But when Ronaldinho does it, they cheer him on and all they care about is that he got the freekick and scored it. That's all i wanted to say. Read it or not i don't care but this diving issue is bulls**t.

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post

Sounds to me that you are one of the morons who is quite happy that the game is being taken over by fairies and cheats.

It's pretty sad that you find it necessary to tell 14 year olds to dive. They should be learning the game and enjoying it, not learning how to cheat.

I find your comments disgraceful and if I had a son playing for a team with a manager with your opinions, I would stop him playing for you. You obviously have no pride in yourself as a human being. What satisfaction do you get out of winning by cheating? Perhaps you aren't really good enough as a player yourself to acheive anything without cheating?

Why stop at diving, get the players to take performance enhancing drugs too? That doesn't hurt anyone else either.

Viduka
Veteran Member
Posts: 429
Joined: 19 Oct 2006, 19:43
Location: Manchester,UK

Post

OMG> Germinho who the heck do you think you are?

I agree 100% percent with Ratherton, how can you take pride and encourage others to cheat? I have to say I respect Ronaldinho and CRonaldo, I think they are quality players. I agree that they dive sometimes.

However, your opinion in encouraging people to dive is as Ratherton says "Disgraceful" specially seeing as you tell others to dive aswell. Even though Ronaldo does dive I accept that this is poor and that it shouldnt be done. Also, in some cases I will agree that he is too tricky and gets the defender frustrated and therefore takes and fouls him. But to say that diving is a good thing is absolute crap.

This is cheating and cheating is wrong, Im not sure if you have learned this yet by the comments that you have made.. You Germinho give more meaning to the word Idiot than anything I have ever come across.

gunnerz23
Veteran Member
Posts: 432
Joined: 26 Sep 2006, 11:20
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post

i hate c.ronaldo. He is a pussy and a sook. Hes a good player, ill admit that but he dives too much which i find, really sad and desperate. And i disagree with u 100%. Diving is not something u have to do and it is not smart play. IT IS CHEATING! CHEATING! I cant believe u teach this sh*t to little kids! God damn and i thought i'd seen everything!
forum for all arsenal fans:http://www.talkarsenal.com

"Theres nothing Im scared of in football."- Thierry Henry
Image

Maradona
Veteran Member
Posts: 578
Joined: 13 Mar 2005, 01:22
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post

When I was watching the game, C.Ronaldo actually lost his balance (no diving) before the referee called out the penalty. If I remember well the first call was an obvious dive, I can't argue with that though.

And the fact that Germinho thinks that diving is a way of playing smart, I'd have to disagree with him even though he is free to express himself but to my eyes DIVING isn't part of the game and anyone doing it, shouldn't be playing the sport.

BE STRONG. BE WISE.

Germinho
New User
Posts: 24
Joined: 01 Dec 2006, 03:39
Location: Miami,FL

Post

Whoa whoa NO NO! I AM NOT TELLING THEM TO DIVE!!!! You guys got me all wrong sorry. What i was trying to say is that when they are running with the ball, they'll move to the side or whatever and the defender will hit them when they don't have the ball but don't fall down. That's not diving! I don't tell them to just fall down whenever they get the chance. And i am not saying im happy that a lot of players are resorting to diving and cheating but im saying that nobody should be criticised for doing a few times. C. Ronaldo is the most fouled player in the EPL. They just came down on this because it resulted in a penalty. Again, I DO NOT CONDONE DIVING! What i was trying to say is that if you have the ball, and someone hits you and doesn't get the ball, then fall down and get the foul. Pro's do it ALL THE TIME. Oh and what the hell is that up there saying i would allow performance enhancing crap and that i think its ok because i DON'T. And if you think dileberatly hitting someone in the legs to injure them is worse than that person falling down diving then thats wrong. I don't think diving is right at all but i also don't think that hitting another player to injure them is right. I wasn't saying diving is okay and im sorry if everyone thought that.

mpcarres14
Veteran Member
Posts: 1847
Joined: 30 Mar 2005, 00:26
Location: Virginia, USA

Post

I'm sorry, diving is wrong on almost all accounts, and some of the crap that the players of today try and win by acting and diving is absurd, but if some kid is coming at me, studs up and high, with me not having enough space/time to move, I will certainly dive. Which would you rather have, a broken leg, or the knowledge that on one tackle you cheated?
God damn brewery!!!

ajc
The Philly Flyer
Posts: 3094
Joined: 29 Apr 2006, 02:08
Location: Delaware, USA

Post

Germinho wrote:Whoa whoa NO NO! I AM NOT TELLING THEM TO DIVE!!!! You guys got me all wrong sorry. What i was trying to say is that when they are running with the ball, they'll move to the side or whatever and the defender will hit them when they don't have the ball but don't fall down. That's not diving! I don't tell them to just fall down whenever they get the chance.
That's not what you said before.
Germinho wrote: i tell them always, "Take the foul! Fall down! Kick the ball a little to the side and fall down
Germinho wrote: C. Ronaldo is the most fouled player in the EPL. They just came down on this because it resulted in a penalty.
He's been diving for years. Anyone can plainly see that.
Germinho wrote: Again, I DO NOT CONDONE DIVING!
Then what did you mean by this:
Germinho wrote: A dive is when you fall down on purpose to get a foul. You HAVE to do it! Its called taking the foul. Even the slightest touch on you and you fall down, it isn't cheating, its smart play. You get a freekick that way and create chances for your team.
Germinho wrote: What i was trying to say is that if you have the ball, and someone hits you and doesn't get the ball, then fall down and get the foul. Pro's do it ALL THE TIME.
That doesn't mean that it is okay. In fact, that is the whole reason that diving is such a big problem, because pro's do it so much.
Germinho wrote:And if you think dileberatly hitting someone in the legs to injure them is worse than that person falling down diving then thats wrong.
No one ever said that.
Germinho wrote:I wasn't saying diving is okay and im sorry if everyone thought that.
Really? Or are you changing your story now because of the negative feedback?

ajc
The Philly Flyer
Posts: 3094
Joined: 29 Apr 2006, 02:08
Location: Delaware, USA

Post

mpcarres14 wrote:I'm sorry, diving is wrong on almost all accounts, and some of the crap that the players of today try and win by acting and diving is absurd, but if some kid is coming at me, studs up and high, with me not having enough space/time to move, I will certainly dive. Which would you rather have, a broken leg, or the knowledge that on one tackle you cheated?
I don't even really think that would be diving. That's just getting out of the way of a challenge. Now if you would roll around after that like you really did take the studs in your leg, that would be cheating. But if you just jump out of the way so you don't get killed, that isn't diving.

tonymahony
Junior Member
Posts: 64
Joined: 02 Aug 2006, 07:11

Post

wtf diving in any case is totally freakin wrong, i mean if you get fouled beyond a shadow of a doubt and fall then that's a foul

but diving is DIVING, you ain't no olympic swimmer on a diving team!!!!!
Image
Tigers of Asia, Corea

Germinho
New User
Posts: 24
Joined: 01 Dec 2006, 03:39
Location: Miami,FL

Post

Well ajc since you want to attack me fine. You said up top that you would rather see someone break their leg than see them dive. You have some issues if that is true let me tell you. And no i am not changing my story i just used the words wrong so i am sorry about that but like i said above, i corrected myself. But you are clearly saying that you prefer someone to break their leg than to dive. Something is wrong with that i would say. And like i said, i just couldn't word it correctly.

ajc
The Philly Flyer
Posts: 3094
Joined: 29 Apr 2006, 02:08
Location: Delaware, USA

Post

Ok. Look, I realize that I was getting a little too personal about this and attacking you a bit, and I apologize for that. I just really got heated when I read your post and that is just what I was thinking when I replied. So from here on, for you and me, let's just stick to the issue at hand, and not attack each other. Ok? :wink:

But for what you said, that I would rather see some one break their leg than take a dive. In the post where I quoted you, you said:
Germinho wrote:And if you think dileberatly hitting someone in the legs to injure them is worse than that person falling down diving then thats wrong.
I agree with that. If you foul someone with intention to injure them, that is one of the worst things you can do in football, even worse than diving.

What I meant about rather seeing a player take an inadvertent challenge than dive, is that seeing a player blatantly dive to gain an advantage and successfully con the referee is the most frustrating thing that can possibly happen while watching a game.

I wish no injury on any player in the world, but it is less anoying to me to watch a player get fouled then to see him take a dive, because if he is fouled then he gains a free kick and he's earned it. It is fair. If he dives then he's gained a free kick by swindling the referee, and he's cheated.

The comment I made about "I don't care if he breaks his leg" was a little crude of me to say. In the grand scheme of things it is more ethical to want to see the player take a dive and stay safe than to see him take on a nasty challenge and be injured, but really only one of these things is inevitable.

Diving can be stopped if a player simply chooses not to do it. However, a defender who is running as fast as he can to try to make a sliding tackle could be trying with all his will to get to the ball, but then the attacker takes a quick touch and the defender catches his leg, and his leg is broken. That will happen occasionally until the end of time, and there is nothing that can be done to stop it.

That is why I see diving as a worse thing than a player taking a hard challenge: diving could be removed from the game entirely if the players would just have a little more pride and integrity, and (unfortunately but true) injuries are and always will be part of the game.

gunnerz23
Veteran Member
Posts: 432
Joined: 26 Sep 2006, 11:20
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post

Diving can be stopped if a player simply chooses not to do it. However, a defender who is running as fast as he can to try to make a sliding tackle could be trying with all his will to get to the ball, but then the attacker takes a quick touch and the defender catches his leg, and his leg is broken. That will happen occasionally until the end of time, and there is nothing that can be done to stop it.

That is why I see diving as a worse thing than a player taking a hard challenge: diving could be removed from the game entirely if the players would just have a little more pride and integrity, and (unfortunately but true) injuries are and always will be part of the game.
yes thatz true. Injury, unfortunately like virtually every other sport, is just part of the game, however diving should not be. Because of all the money, fame and glory involved in football nowadays, players get the urgency to cheat to win, which is a shame. If u ask me, a lot of players will object diving, but we can never stop the few cheaters that will continue to do it.
forum for all arsenal fans:http://www.talkarsenal.com

"Theres nothing Im scared of in football."- Thierry Henry
Image

m_barton_69
Sophomore Member
Posts: 29
Joined: 06 Apr 2005, 00:43

Post

Diving is a big part of the game wheather people like it or not. Soccer is a job for pros and they will try to gain an edge however they can. I also think that Germinho is saying that by "letting yourself go" after being pushed or knocked of the ball to win a free kick, is ok. But, not simulating a foul that didn't happen to you.
michael barton

ajc
The Philly Flyer
Posts: 3094
Joined: 29 Apr 2006, 02:08
Location: Delaware, USA

Post

m_barton_69 wrote:I also think that Germinho is saying that by "letting yourself go" after being pushed or knocked of the ball to win a free kick, is ok.
Maybe that's all he is saying, but I still think that is cheating and it's wrong.

Really if you have to let yourself go to get a free kick then you are still simulating a foul that didn't happen, because if you hadn't fallen then there wouldn't have been a foul called, and you chose to fall down, so you took a dive that didn't have to happen.

Post Reply