Most Memorable Matches

Discuss and compare your favorite players
steve-0
Veteran Member

Post by steve-0 » 25 Jan 2007, 21:50

my favorite match this season is man u vs. reading, the first match. man u came back from a 1-0 deposit to win it. It was very exciting with a lot of attack in the 2nd half. it isn't the most memorable game, but one of my favorites. this season. Also totenham vs. chelsea i believe was a very exciting game too.

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Post by fir_nev » 27 Jan 2007, 00:51

Liverpool vs AC Milan...

I was rooting for AC Milan but damn!

the_loast

Post by the_loast » 02 Feb 2007, 14:56

Another of my most memerable matches was Tottenham vs Man City in the fa cup 4th round, im not a city fan but watch city's second half comeback with a man down was just something special.
AC Milan vs Liverpool
I was a neutral but this game really impressed me because of how the Liverpool players were playing with all their hearts. Getting cramps and tired as hell but fighting to the end to win it.
Nice and not so nice remarks - I have really thought hard about this topic and would like to mention a few things to allow you follow my process of thought.

just as there are variations to what makes a good goal, i.e. different factors which combines in various degrees of randomness to produce a beautiful expression for interpretation, there are also many different factors which if balanced, will lead to an entertaining match.

Something I think really needs to be grasped are great distinctions, which I beleive are
1. Epic
2. Classic
3. Great
4. Memorable (very simlar to classic)

1. An Epic is a tense match that an be viewed by those who are involved in teh situation; the situation is relative (meaning it is what we need to be involved in to understand) as was the case with the game of Arsenal and Manchester UNited match of 1999. It is teh subjective take on a great match. It usually contains tense moments, some drama. but it's main characteristic is the competitiveness :)

2.Classic - a bit ironic, and anti-climatic, I beleive that these are more the matches which are over-emphasis due to what they meant to the preferred ideals of certain people, i.e. 'and smith must score...', however, these, due to some element of trying to appeal too vast, are really not what they are made out to be. An example, would be someone remembering the English victory of 1966 (not for the match becuase I haven't seen it) but because, it is a piece of history for them (as opposed to a historic moment in football for the game itself, as is the case with memorable game).

3. Great matches, extremely rere, are more to the side of being objective, and for this reason, though still conditional, can be viewed generally

4. Memorable games are those which I feel are really subjective and need to be explained well. They tend to be knitted into their time frames i.e. there may have been a great build up, a new sensation, a hype... or in a more neutral sense, they have specific moments which touch us forever i.e. Ronaldinho goal in Chelsea v Baraca game in (i think) 2005, or more specifically, Munich V Man U - who could have expected such a twist. They are sort of like the detective games, where their are many different aspects of evidence to bring together to see the real essence.

:x

As you may deduce, this is a tier system, similar to the one proposed by 'shineon112001'[member of another forum linked to this site} - used for classifying players.

Now that that is 'in' the way, let us take that out and advance back onto our path
We must not allow ourselves to be taken off course from our natural game, No matter what, we must stick to our natural game
Hope that has settled a bit of confusion. See you soon
"People can carry in their minds and act upon two contradictory ideas at one time, provided that these two contradictory ideas are kept far enough apart." :mrgreen:

“We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.”
— Anais Ni :wink:

Viduka
Veteran Member

Post by Viduka » 02 Feb 2007, 16:13

the_loast

I dont mean to be rude but what was all that nonsense above? To reitterate what you where talking about I went back to read the 1st post and then the 2nd post and I am certain that no one had any issues regarding anything that had to do with your post. Nor did the subject of this post have any resemblence to what you posted.

Finally the following
Hope that has settled a bit of confusion. See you soon
There arent any confusions anywhere in this topic, all you needed to do was simply answer the subject which was what was your memorable game and why? You didnt need to jeopardise this topic with that post.

Anyways...

My most memorable

1. Livepool v AC Milan - greatest comeback and the scousers played with all they had left.

2. Australia V Uraguay - no one believe Australia could do it. We made it to the WC.

3. Australia V Italy - The saddest moment of my football memories because the outcome could have been so much more different if that penalty hadnt taken place.

the_loast

Clever boy

Post by the_loast » 05 Feb 2007, 17:40

1. Livepool v AC Milan - greatest comeback and the scousers played with all they had left. :cry:

2. Australia V Uraguay - no one believe Australia could do it. We made it to the WC. :wink:

3. Australia V Italy - The saddest moment of my football memories because the outcome could have been so much more different if that penalty hadnt taken place. :wink:

Now then, let's put them under the calculus

1. Epic
2. Classic
3. Great
4. Memorable (very simlar to classic)
(assuming you understood that)

I really think that you should have paid more attention to what I said, because it seems to be that it could have sharpened your judgement. It seriously appears to me that you are a gullible servant proud to lye prone to a dictatorship - simply because you appear to basing your views of 'memorable matches' on a couple sentences.
Dude, I'm quite sure that in order for a match to be memorable, it has to fit into one of the above categories, unless
a) you have another distinction
b) you were seated in a dark room with a nice tub of vaseline, and a lucid imagination watching hard working warriors giving all they can, showing great passion, and going all out for that emphatic victory.

If you didn't catch it, I was trying to assert that if people have no ground to stand on, their arguments have no ground (that simple enough for you) - which is why I was laying some foundation to advance on.
Really though, I'm not really a fan of experts, so before I discard your idea of a great match, I would really like to know if there is more to it. i mean come on, Italy V Australia, memorable because of a last minute penalty.
Doesn't make much to get you happy. I refuse to respond nutil you choose to understand
-----I'll be waiting for your aggression :x
------Before you do that, go to some clear seeing, rational person who is full functional upon logic, and ask them whether or not, (put aside the trivialites lie 'hope that cleared up some confusion' - which was hinting at what I consdiered to be poor suggestions) and ask them if my base is making sense, or at leat is an objective matter of credibilty.
Cheers :twisted:
"People can carry in their minds and act upon two contradictory ideas at one time, provided that these two contradictory ideas are kept far enough apart." :mrgreen:

owensglory

Post by owensglory » 08 Feb 2007, 10:40

Most memorable that i watched:
1)Liverpool v AC Milan
Crazy 3 goals in 6 minutes.

2)England v Brazil
rivaldo cancelled out owen's opener late in the first half.Ronaldinho fk and seaman howler in the second half.ronaldinho red card.seaman's tears after the match.SAD!!!!!!!

3)Portugal v Holland
Most many cards in a match that i watched.waiting for nistelrooy to come in to save holland in the second half.but that looked likely the last game nistelrooy will be even on the bench of holland.

4)England v Portugal
rooney red card.beckham suddenly injured and substitued.owen injury before the match.gerrard and lampard pk are uselss.carragher's converted pk cancelled out.retaken pk out of target.ronaldo converted pk.SAD!!!!!

4)Italy v France
Infamous headbutt,zidane's perfect pk,trezeguet's hit-the-post pk,grosso's last touch of the ball in world cup 2006 that won italy the cup.

5)Reading v Chelsea
2 blues goalies are injured and terry stnads btw the posts.longest injury time added.12 minutes,if not mistaken.

Most memorable that not yet watched:
1)Man Utd v Bayern Munich
2 injury time goals to let bayern's players cry like hell

2)England v Germany
Amazing wonderkid owen's hat-trick and historical 5-1 against old rivals germany.

Brines
Sophomore Member

Post by Brines » 13 Feb 2007, 00:14

In the 2006 world cup...

USA vs. Italy
We played well and I thought we could have won it.

Trinadad & Tobago vs. Sweden
Tied with ten men...good stuff.

Brazil vs. France
I just remember seeing Trezeguet score and getting up from my chair and yelling, TREZEGUET!!!! GOAL GOAAAAL GOAL
I'm 16 and play a lot of football.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 13 Feb 2007, 02:56

Brines wrote:Brazil vs. France
I just remember seeing Trezeguet score and getting up from my chair and yelling, TREZEGUET!!!! GOAL GOAAAAL GOAL
Umm that was Henry who scored that goal, Trezeguet was on the bench. Haha did you really stand up and scream TREZEGUET!!?

hey this is my 900th post hehe :lol:
Click it

wcswarriors

Post by wcswarriors » 13 Feb 2007, 03:14

Those matches that make you shout at your scream for an amazing play, the finals in the world cup, when your favorite makes a huge comback in important game(man utd vs bayern munich in the 1999 champions league final), or any big rivalries with drama and great abilities are shown. Those are what make a game memorable for me.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 13 Feb 2007, 03:25

1. AC Milan vs. Liverpool I was sick that day, so I got to stay home and watch it... *cough* Dudek totally destroyed AC in the shootout, and then he sadly faded away.

2. Italy vs. France World Cup 2006....sad, sad day. It had memorable moments in it and after all that hype, Zidane left with a bang...
Who won the game anyways? :D I don't think I remember after what happened there.

3. Manchester Utd. vs. Bayern Munich I just watched it, what a cracker. Amazing since I'm a Man U fan. I was too young to know that it was such a huge game or remember it was on. I was only 6...lol But now I see it, and wow, brilliant.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 13 Feb 2007, 04:27

ajc wrote:
Umm that was Henry who scored that goal, Trezeguet was on the bench. Haha did you really stand up and scream TREZEGUET!!?

Congrats on the 900th post!

When Henry scored that goal against Brazil I jumped up and screamed things that I'll get banned for if I type them. I have always liked the Brazilian players... Ronaldo and Ronaldinho specifically.

Brines
Sophomore Member

Post by Brines » 14 Feb 2007, 01:32

ajc wrote:

Well hmm...what was the game were Trezeguet scored in the last minutes to put them up 2-0? That was a good match too. lol...
I'm 16 and play a lot of football.

the_loast

Post by the_loast » 14 Feb 2007, 16:55

[quote]Most memorable that not yet watched: [/quote]

:roll: That says it all I beleive...

Learn form Buddha :arrow:
[quote]Do not believe in anything (simply) because you have heard it.
Do not believe in traditional ideas (simply) because they have been handed down for many generations.
Do not believe in anything because it is spoken or rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything (simply) because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that a thing agrees with reason and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live by it[/quote]

These are typical matches that have been spoke of hundreds of times, but where is the depth... exactly where is the solid ground on which these judgements are made...or are you still being programme dby the media...is there any rational person here who has a valid counter argument against my categorisations.... what exactly does it take to get thes eposters entertained... because I've seen a few of the matches mentioned and gee's...they are not pretty.

As said best by Alan Watt :shock:
Talk to pre-programmed people and your going to hear the same slogans coming out of their mouths

Is there a shred or individuality, rationality or even basic innovation left in any football forums..
Perhaps I should really go into the puppetting business...I could make a fortune out of common people

Then again, ther may teh one person who puts their emotions aside and counters all that is said above on the grounds that it is a prejudice lacking compassion and empathy, as I am attacking posters based on superficial mediums:- 'WORDS'.... :idea:

Until I hear some intelligent thought.. I refuse to shed light on my ideas
http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthr ... ?p=3852083

I hereby declare that I beleive anything the majority of people are talking about...media does my reasoning for me..... anybody who disagrees with the common public is a crazy, farfetched idiot, who needs to live in the real world... :wink:

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 14 Feb 2007, 19:59

Am I the only person here who has absolutely no idea what that post meant to be about :shock:

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

steve-0
Veteran Member

Post by steve-0 » 14 Feb 2007, 22:47

arsenal vs. bolton in the fa cup replay. i'll remember that match for a long time.