John terry new england captain!!!

Discuss and compare your favorite players
soccer11
Admin

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

yep, John Terry is the new captain of england. i thought this was going to happen and i'm glad it did. what does everyone think?

floater

that is good
he isnt the oldest but he has great leadership and a good mentality
"In football, the greatest satisfaction is winning when they say you can't." - Robert Paul

A-man147

good choice, but not a suprise at all.
Image KEvinR9

"In 1969 I gave up woman and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life." George Best

ratherton
Veteran Member

I'm not convinced.

If Fat Sol hadn't been injured and had his other problems, I don't even know if he be a first choice in the starting XI.

He loses concentration and generally drops 1 clanger every game. I've been to the England games and seen him do it.

A-man147

I thought Gerrard should have had it, but I would have to Disagree with your above statment, Terry is a solid defender, not his best WC but he played good, and if Sol was in healthy Terry would definantly be starting, it would be Ferdinand or Sol with him depending on their performances at their clubs.
Image KEvinR9

"In 1969 I gave up woman and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life." George Best

soccer11
Admin

yeah i agree with A-man. terry was going to start either way, be it with sol or rio. and i think terry had a good WC. he's the reason they got as far as they did in my opinion. remember when he cleared the ball off the line. i forget what game it was but thats one of my lasting memories of the entire WC

ratherton
Veteran Member

soccer11 wrote:yeah i agree with A-man. terry was going to start either way, be it with sol or rio. and i think terry had a good WC. he's the reason they got as far as they did in my opinion. remember when he cleared the ball off the line. i forget what game it was but thats one of my lasting memories of the entire WC
Trinidad & Tobago from a Stern John header - yes it was a great clearance and thats what people remember about him.

I also remember against Ecuador when he made a mess of a header and then fell over to let that guy through on goal in the first 10 minutes. Only a brilliant block by Cole deflected the ball onto the bar. It was not an isolated incident, he makes one bad mistake a game. If they had scored first, we would have lost.

Gerrard should have been made captain and he should be played in his proper position

spectacles boy

Terry is a better captain than Beckham and Gerrard. He gained respect from every stars in Chelsea and even Jose Mourinho thinks that he is the man. If Gerrard fight with Terry, Terry will kick his ass.

soccernista
New User

If Gerrard fight with Terry, Terry will kick his ass.
That makes a lot of sense, and really this should be the new way of selecting captains of soccer teams. Just have a street fight tournament, and whoever wins is the captain, because hey, they can beat everyone else's ass.

soccer11
Admin

a street fight?????? huh?!?!?

ratherton
Veteran Member

spectacles boy wrote:Terry is a better captain than Beckham and Gerrard. He gained respect from every stars in Chelsea and even Jose Mourinho thinks that he is the man. If Gerrard fight with Terry, Terry will kick his ass.
I don't want Terry to fight, I want him to stop making stupid mistakes that for some reason, people seem to forget

milanese
Veteran Member

Terry never played at a Chelsea level for England at the WC, get over it, doesn't mean he'll be a bad capitan, and he's better then Sol.

Either way it's a good choice(Terry or Gerrard). Beckham's off the squad for now too, so England's actually moving in the right direction. If Hargreaves plays like he did at WC for you guys all the time then England would be a real threat. Moving Gerrard to the right side and keeping Lamps in the middle might get more out of them individually.

G-Unit-Freestyler

Gerrard has lifted Liverpool countless time. I wonder why not him

milanese
Veteran Member

Might want a vocal capitan leading from the back. They're both great capitan's, so really you can't go wrong.

Magicfeet

Either would have done a fantastic job.

Ratherton: Whilst Terry does indeed make the odd mistake, I'd say Gerrard gives the ball away too often by looking for the "Hollywood Pass". He hits some amazing long balls... but people rarely focus on the 3 he sent too far before hand.

That's not to say that he isn't a tremendous player. I think if he became England captain he would greatly lift the team, purely through his unbelievable dynamism in the middle of the park.

I'm happy with Terry, but Gerrard must have been a close second.