David Beckham: What happened?

Discuss and compare your favorite players
soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

I've been wondering for a while, and I just want to know, why did David Beckham decide to not be the captain of England anymore?

thierryhenry14

it prolly dawned on sven taht beckham sucks ( i am a france supporter they're rivals i have to comment like this)
Image (Thanks Kevin R9)

Sometimes in football you just have to score goals -Thierry Henry-

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

Oh no, I like France and England...
no seriously!! Why?

RonaldinhoSkills

He thinks he is not worthy enough to not be captain since England lost in Q.Finals?
Remember... Never do a skill twice, always be creative, after that, you'll own.

thierryhenry14

yea he's getting older and prolly doesn't think he can keep up with the young guns prolly and he feels he isn't fit for it
Image (Thanks Kevin R9)

Sometimes in football you just have to score goals -Thierry Henry-

soccer11
Admin

who cares what sven says, he isnt going to be there anyways. but that said, terry should be captain anyways."Captain Curagous" anyone?

scene

i think beckham still gots another world cup in him, but i dunno of captain. he didnt really seem to lead england this year, no fire but hten again he did score winnig goals, umm i dunno i guess it was just his choice.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Beckham had decided before the WC that he was going to stand down as England captain. He had hoped that it would be as a World Cup winning captain but the idiotic Swede made sure that didn't happen.

I think he's done the right thing. He has been a wonderful captain and player for England. He's going to continue to play and hopefully will get 100 caps for England (he currently has 95). He's not the player he was a couple of years ago but of the 6 goals England scored in Germany, he scored 1 and 2 assists.

Terry will be the next captain although personally, I'd like to see Gerrard be made captain and get him move involved in attack like he is with Liverpool. The first squad McClaren picks against Greece on 16th August will be very interesting.

Sabrinho
New User

I'm pretty sure it's the last time we've seen David Beckham play for the England side ( at least in a WC) simply because he's been widely criticized for his inability to captain his side and motivate his players. With the new breed of talented english players coming i'm certain it's probably the last we've seen of Beckham in a WC. Sven likes Beckham and that's why he took him in the squad and kept him as a captain ( I believe Beckham was easily among the best of the English players in this WC along with lennon, terry and gerrard).

soccer11
Admin

yeah, i mean, look at kirien richardson. if i'm not mistaken, he plays right mid too, so i think that he will be englands right mid at the next world cup.

floater

lennon seems to have a greater chance of being right mid
he can dribble and is fast
just needs to work on passing and finishing

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

I think Beckham understands that his time on the English National Squad is diminishing. He is giving another player the chance to be a captain.