Overrated/Underrated

Discuss and compare your favorite players
*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Alexander Hleb, Robert Pires, and Tiago are very underrated too. Some people don't appreciate their qualities and how much they help their teams.

Ronaldinho10

*~El Maestro~* wrote:Alexander Hleb, Robert Pires, and Tiago are very underrated too. Some people don't appreciate their qualities and how much they help their teams.
Totally agree. Especially with Robert Pires. He is underrated in terms of World Football. The Arsenal fans don't underrate him but he should be talked about on the same level as Raul , Figo , Rivaldo etc.

To add to this , I think Jose Antonio Reyes is underrated. He'll be a world beater now at Real Madrid. Just watch and see! :D

stevengerrard8

yeah man i agree with you about hleb, he always impresses me

torres_hero
Sophomore Member

im suprised no one has said makelele is underated yet..he is the backbone of the chelsea squad no1 has ever played that holding midfield role the same as he does..without him lampard/ballack wouldnt be able to be as 'forward-minded' as they are now without him..rooney is definetely not overated he is a great player at such a young age..also i think puyol from barca is a very underated defender..u hear every1 talk about cannavaro and terry but also u must think about how good puyol really is and how important he is to the barcelona and spain squads

Kaka's_got_skillz
Sophomore Member

stevengerrard8 wrote:harry kewell, crouch underratted

underrated. paul robinson,

plus i dont think rooney is overrated. his absolutely amazing. lampard.. just cuz he had a bad world cup doesnt mean his overrated, if you watched EPL last season you'll know how good he is. henry.. wow your wierd...

i'd agree that van persie is underrated
Iuno, I'm a weird person, the more popular a player is, the more I seem to hate him.

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Easy, Kolo Toure. He is the fastest center back in the world, and is consistantly superb. He makes up for his lack of height with an amazing vertical, and he just never makes mistakes. Watch every game in Arsenal's CL run last year, he tidied up every attack, and was simply irreplacable. He has a wicked shot also. In my books, he is the best CB in the prem.

Ledley King is also fantastic, I dream of him pulling a Sol and coming to the real kings of north London.
God damn brewery!!!

Ronaldinho10

mpcarres14 wrote:Easy, Kolo Toure. He is the fastest center back in the world, and is consistantly superb. He makes up for his lack of height with an amazing vertical, and he just never makes mistakes. Watch every game in Arsenal's CL run last year, he tidied up every attack, and was simply irreplacable. He has a wicked shot also. In my books, he is the best CB in the prem.
Kolo Toure is also quite skillfull. Did you know he made his Arsenal debut in left midfield , if my memory serves me right it was when Pires was injured and they said he'd be a great replacement for the left wing :lol:
Also someone I know watched him play up front for the reserves and he was immense. Toure could play anywhere and not look out of position.

ratherton
Veteran Member

mpcarres14 wrote: Ledley King is also fantastic, I dream of him pulling a Sol and coming to the real kings of north London.
He's English so Wenger will have no interest in signing him

stevengerrard8

stewart downing is underrated. beckham.. i dunt think is overrated anymore, half of england really.. hates him lol

Da Devil
Sophomore Member

oh my god if i start I'll have to make a book! the ones in bold are grave ones!

Underrated

Steed Malbranque
Didier Zokora
Ledley King
Jermain Defoe
Mido
Robbie Keane
Michael Dawson
Stewart Downing
Patrice Evra
Gabriel Heinze
Wes Brown
John O'shea
Gary Neville
Michael Carrick
Louis Saha
Edwin Van Der Sar
Alan Smith
Scott Parker
Michael Owen
Charles N'Zogbia
Kieron Dyer
Belzogolu Emre
Lomano LuaLua
Shaun Wright phillips
Claude Makalele
Michael Essien
Steve Finnan
Jamie Carragher
Momo Sissoko
Luis Garcia
Peter Crouch
Djibril Cisse
Craig Bellamy
Florent Sinama-Pongolle
John Arne Riise
Daniel Agger
Scott Carson
Chris Kirkland
Alexandr Hleb
Gilberto Silva
Julio Baptista
Eboue
Robin Van Persie
Richard Dunne
Darren Ambrose
Mikel Arteta
Tim Cahill
Phil Neville
Joseph Yobo
Joleon Lescott
Marlon Harewood
Anton Ferdinand
Carlton Cole
Nigel Reo Coker
Matthew Etherington
El-Hadji Diouf
Henri Camara
Leighton Baines
Jimmy Bullard
Frank Quedrue
Liam Rosenoir
Steven Reid
Robbie Savage
Morten Gamst Pedersen
Ryan Nelsen
James Milner
Gabriel Agbonlahor
Milan Baros
Gareth Barry
Robinho
Jonathan Woodagate
Jose Antonio Reyes
Ronaldo
Cicinho
Antonio Cassano
Eidur Gudjohnsen
Samuel Eto'o
Carles Puyol
Xavi Hernandes
Edmilson
Mark Van Bommel
Willy Sagnol
Bastian Schwanestiger
Owen Hargreaves
Marcos Senna
Diego Forlan
Maxi Rodriguez
Martin Petrov
Joaquin Sanchez
Asier Del Horno
Andrea Pirlo
Filippo Inzaghi
David Trezeguet
Hernan Jorge Crespo
Daniele De Rossi
Nigel De Jong
Ryan Babel
Klass Jan Huntelaar
Arouna Kone
Fred
Sidney Govu
Florent Malouda
Tiago

Overrated
Jermaine Jenas
Rio Ferdinand
Crisitano Ronaldo
Ji-Sung Park
Damien Duff
Obafemi Martins
Frank Lampard
John Terry
Dider Drogba
Ricardo Carvhalo
Ashley Cole
Michael Ballack
Andiry Shevchenco
Dirk Kuyt
Jermaine Pennant
Jose Manuel Reina
Harry Kewell
Mark Gonzales
Emmanuel Adebayor
Fransesc Fabregas
Joey Barton
Darren Bent
Javier Mascherano
Carlos Tevez
Bobby Zamora
Juan Pablo Angel
Guti
Emerson

Mahamadou Diarra
Fabio Cannavaro
Ruud Van Nistelrooy
Deco
Marques
Oleguer Presas
Lionel Messi
Lucio
Fernando Torres
David Villa
Alberto Gilardino
Alessandro Nesta
Gennaro Ivan Gattuso
Adriano
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Francesco Totti
Mauro German Camoranesi
Franck Ribery
Sylvain Wiltord
Rafael Van der Vaart
Last edited by Da Devil on 17 Sep 2006, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

milanese
Veteran Member

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, he's been scoring a goal a game over the last year, and might be Holland's best striker right now, but I don't see that many people talking about him.

Tiago's fantastic aswell, helps Lyon out alot, when they lost Essien they didn't miss a beat because of him.

Agbonlahor has alot of potential, really like he guy.

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

How is Fabregas overrated? He may be hyped like none other, but in the CL last year he was Arsenal with Henry, while at the WC he was the main source of creativity and spark in the Spain midfield. Granted, this season he has been out of form in the prem, but he is no doubt a fantastic player.

I agree with most of your choices, but I have a couple of changes to make.

should be bold in underrated:
Momo Sissoko, this guy's immense, and right now the only real next Patrick Vieira
Henri Camara, pretty much Wigan's Henry, fast, creative, and a great finisher. He deserves a transfer to a better club, and although he may never become one of the world's best, he could be fantastic

Morten Gamst Pedersen, I think his goal vs. Fulham in the start of last season sums it up, not to mention that he does feats like that repeated times.

Samuel Eto'o, not that he isn't viewed highly, but he isn't viewed at the same level as Henry, to who he is just about equal.

Jose Reyes, a lot of what he does is never captured on the TV cameras. I got to sit right next to his flank at Highbury, and I really was able to see what he can do. He is so quick, has fantastic technique, and is all energy. Also, he chips in with the defense a lot, and on the night he was playing more left-back than Cygan.

Fred, at the moment, Brazil's best striker, has pace, technique, vision, range of shooting, aerial power, and is consistant. One of the best around, yet is viewed as little over mediocre.

should be bold in overrated:
Bobby Zamora, he may be scoring goals this term, but if Cech, Van der Sar, or Lehmann were in goal vs. him, he may have one goal, maybe two.

Marquez, he's pretty much an error-making hatchet man. I really don't like this player

Dirk Kuyt, he's pathetic, just watch the world cup, he could have had a hat trick vs. Portugal, but instead sunk Holland's hopes for the team. It seems that if he gets a shot on target, everyone says how great he is. He won't break ten goals in the prem, no doubt.

underrated that shouldn't be on the list:
David Trezeguet, he may score, but only from two yards out. He is very one-dimensional, and needs a great ball to put a chance away

Owen Hargreaves to gravely overrated, the guy two months ago was considered a joke, especially considering the fact that Sven kept calling him up. He plays two games where he doesn't make a fool out of himself unlike the majority of the England squad and he is regarded as a hero.

Mark van Bommel, very good when on song, but he is too inconsistant for me.

Robbie Savage, like Marquez, a hatchet man, but with less skill

Phil Neville, like Savage

Alan Smith, he's okay, but certainly not Man U calibre

Peter Crouch, this guy's record in the prem last year was something like 6 goals in 27 games, not too impressive. His heading sucks for his size, and he isn't very mobile. Also, he may be on a tear for England, but look at the teams he scores against: Hungary, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Greece, Andorra, Macedonia. These aren't very high quality squads, and until he starts putting them in vs. Sweden, Portugal, and teams like that, he is overrated in my books.

overrated players that don't deserve to be on the list
Darren Bent, 19 goals in the prem doesn't lie. He is really Charlton's only hope for goals most of the time.

David Villa, he's a goal machine, is very complete as a player, and was the second leading scorer in Spain on a team that doesn't really create lots of goals.

Ruud van Nistelrooy, he may not do the prettiest job, but he gets it done like no-one around. Unlike Trezeguet, he is much more clinical and is more versitile.
God damn brewery!!!

ratherton
Veteran Member

Downing is under-rated :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You have got to be joking

kamil k

Here are the main players i fink are underated: Jermain Defoe, Makelele, Robinho, Thuram, juninho, eto'o, Walcot, Ibrahimovic, Malauda.

Overated: Beckham, C. Ronaldo, Rio Ferdinand, Raul. Reyes.

Da Devil
Sophomore Member

How isn't Fabregas overrated? Hell Henry said he had as much potential as Rooney, not a fact really. They all think he's the next star of Arsenal. Face it he's not enough and he'll never be like Vieira. He's good, very good granted but he's not going to be any better than Xavi Hernandez or Xabi Alonso.

I agree Sissoko should be bold, Pedersen not so much, Eto'o, Reyes and Fred are okay too.

Zamora isn't rated very highly just because he's scoring goals he is overrated but not that much

True on Marques

You can't judge Kuyt on the world cup he is overrated, he doesen't score but he does play some intelligent passes and assists.

Trezeguet does get a bit too much stick, he was the second top scorer of the Siera A, just because he had a bad performance in the World Cup doesen't mean he's bad

Hargreaves is underrated IMO, he plays better than Lampard in Midfield and as of late he's hit I don't know how many crossbars from outside the box, something Lampard couldn't do lately.

Van Bommel never did get a good chance IMO, give him time I say lol

Savage is a very good player in my eyes, he's got great positioning and his tackles are marvellous. He could work on his passing but hell very good for a guy over his 30s, beats Joey Barton by a loooong shot

Neville is not TOO underrated but he is given a lot of stick, he can tackle and pass and overall he's a good utility player.

Smith has as much ability as Robbie Keane does but you can't expect him to do anything from the bench or from midfield. He still has a lot to prove.

Have you seen the Liverpool wings? Crouch deserves better, he hit a rough patch in the beginning of the season probably due to all the pressure but he played well at the end of last season and he scored against Man U. Also makes some great assists and Liverpool play horribly without him.

Yeah so what? James Beattie was the EPL top scorer and I don't rate him more than I rate Bent. One good season doesen't mark a true player.

Villa; I haven't seen much of this player, just what I've seen from the world cup.

hmm...maybe you're right on Van Nistelrooy but he's rated as the 'world's best striker', Eto'o should be that.

and as for the other responses:

Downing is UNDERRATED, the guy gives one hell of a cross and he's compared to just Jermaine Pennant, a smart player who can pass and in the big game could play a major part.

and for the last guy: OMG IBRAHIMOVIC UNDERRATED?????!?!?!?!!