Overrated/Underrated

Discuss and compare your favorite players
gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Overrated/Underrated

Post by gnarlyjim » 14 Jul 2006, 16:01

I just wanted to find out who you guys think is overrated/underrated? Please post the player name, their national team, club team, and why you feel they are overrated/underrated.

MrSark

Post by MrSark » 14 Jul 2006, 19:53

Ronaldinho.

No need to list any additional information because it's obvious.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 14 Jul 2006, 20:45

I think the Italian player Andrea Pirlo who plays for AC Milan is very underrated. He is one of the key players who gets the ball at around 30 or 40 meters away from his goalie's cage and brings the ball to the attacking midfielders and strikers. He also causes a lot of movement because he is always moving and making himself available for the pass. During the games Italy played at the world cup the ball always passes through him because he controls the tempo of the game and directs the play. He takes it slow and tries to distribute the ball evenly but can hit you by surprise and make a long pass towards totti and he will have the defenders stunned.

He is the man who starts all the attacks and is at the origin of many goals. He is a playmaker, and we all know that. His craziest play during the world cup was when he passed the ball towards grosso in extra time. He has a very good shooting technique and passing technique and is a very complete player. I just feel that people underrate him alot, but he came in as the third best player in the world cup so finally he is getting recognition.

FCBarcelona
Veteran Member

Post by FCBarcelona » 14 Jul 2006, 20:56

Zambrotta is underrated,, noone talks about this guy but he is one of best in the world, can play anywhee near the sideline and dominates where he plays... showed in WC :wink:
FORÇA BARÇA!

"I’m a player who can do absolutely anything if I am smiling and laughing. If I’m not happy, then everything becomes more of a struggle,” explained Adriano.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 14 Jul 2006, 20:59

Okay, great! That's exactly the kind of post I was looking for. I agree with you that Pirlo is underrated. Keep 'em coming.

Madridista
New User

Post by Madridista » 15 Jul 2006, 09:25

overrated: beckham ( today ), ronaldinho ( always ), henry ( great striker but hes very overrated since the last champions league ).

underrated:

Ronaldo - no matter how bad his team condition is he will keep scoring nonstop, 14 goals in 20 league games last season, despite all the injuries and speculations about his future in real madrid.

Zizou - he got some of his respect back in the world cup but hes very underrated in the last 2 seasons altough i think hes still the best in the world but there is a limit for what 1 player can do when hes surrounded by idiots.

Robinho - people just dosent know him good enough, his doing amazing things in real madrid, delivering the goods every game in real madrid, dribbling, dancing on the field, threating the goal, the best young player today. ( if u consider 22 to be young )

MrSark

Post by MrSark » 15 Jul 2006, 10:05

FCBarcelona wrote:Zambrotta is underrated,, noone talks about this guy but he is one of best in the world, can play anywhee near the sideline and dominates where he plays... showed in WC :wink:
I agree with this completely. I've said so many times and different boards that Zambro is the best LB/RB on the planet and has been for many years.

Ronnie9

Post by Ronnie9 » 15 Jul 2006, 22:36

I gotta agree with both El Maestro and Madridista here, they said everything I wanted to say here, Pirlo definitely deserves more recognition more than he gets but I think he still has a few years to show the world what he really got.

I just caant understand why Madrid fans (I am a madrid fan though) dont want Ronaldo in their squad next season, Ronaldo is the best goal scorer to play for us in the last god knows how many years, while Raul is playin like dirt and still there's no one to say anything.

After receiving the best player in the WC, even though he didn't fully deserve it I dont feel sorry for Zizou anymore.

I always used to get angry when I hear ppl sayin that Dinho was the next Maradona and he's better than Zidane and this sorta crap, now I lough after knowing what Ronaldinho really is, is that really the best player of in the world for 2 years? why dont he go and give it a shot in Serie A and only then we'll see if he deserves to be rated this high like Ronaldo, Zidane, Maradona etc.. Sorry I dont wanna make this about Ronaldinho.

Henry is great yeah but on the international scene he's just a lil bit better than an average striker, all he got is his play in Arsenal and thats it.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 15 Jul 2006, 23:00

I just caant understand why Madrid fans (I am a madrid fan though) dont want Ronaldo in their squad next season, Ronaldo is the best goal scorer to play for us in the last god knows how many years, while Raul is playin like dirt and still there's no one to say anything.
They dont like him because they say he is lazy and because he criticized them this season by saying that they never support him. Raul on the other side is a legend in Real Madrid. He's like Casillas. The fans will always love him regardless of what happens. He isnt as good as he used to be but he's still 29 so he still has seasons to play. Dont forget that he has been with Real Madrid since he was 17. And even then that wasnt his real age because he wanted to play so bad that he added a couple of years to his age. So he's been playing with Real for a long time and is the man who scored the most goals in the Champion's League.
Henry is great yeah but on the international scene he's just a lil bit better than an average striker, all he got is his play in Arsenal and thats it.
That's because Arsenal is built around Henry. He can do whatever he wants in arsenal because they give him the ball so much. He basically has complete control over the ball. Thats a little bit like Riquelme. Henry is great and puts a lot of work into football but I have lost a lot of respect for him because he has become quite arrogant this year.

A-man147

Post by A-man147 » 15 Jul 2006, 23:09

I think Beckham is underrated for the following reasons: People are saying he's soo overrated, that when I ask people about him they say he "sucks", which is not true at all. He is the master of free kicks, crosses, and long range passing. The reason people think he is overrated started not from his game but from his personel life, marrying Victoria, modelling, and his money were talked about so much that people heard a lot of him and so watched his game, when they saw he is a simple player they say he is overrated. Well I beg to differ, no one is better than him in dead ball situations, and his vision is amoung the best. I think he is a great player and that you should watch him play HIS game instead of watching him be the super player people make him out to be.

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

Post by soccerchic_06 » 16 Jul 2006, 17:31

A-man147 wrote:I think Beckham is underrated for the following reasons: People are saying he's soo overrated, that when I ask people about him they say he "sucks", which is not true at all. He is the master of free kicks, crosses, and long range passing. The reason people think he is overrated started not from his game but from his personel life, marrying Victoria, modelling, and his money were talked about so much that people heard a lot of him and so watched his game, when they saw he is a simple player they say he is overrated. Well I beg to differ, no one is better than him in dead ball situations, and his vision is amoung the best. I think he is a great player and that you should watch him play HIS game instead of watching him be the super player people make him out to be.
I was about to post that. I totally agree. He's so "overrated" that he's underrated. He's def. one of the best players out there. I wonder why he decided he wouldn't be captain anymore...?

thierryhenry14

Post by thierryhenry14 » 16 Jul 2006, 17:35

Beckham- he's overated because everyone thinks he's good and he thinks he's good and he really isn't people say "oh he scored from half field" did you see how retarted that goalkeeper was. so he can bend the ball many guys can.
Image (Thanks Kevin R9)

Sometimes in football you just have to score goals -Thierry Henry-

RonaldinhoSkills

Post by RonaldinhoSkills » 16 Jul 2006, 17:40

Christiano Ronaldo is quite underrated... He is my 2nd best player lol
Remember... Never do a skill twice, always be creative, after that, you'll own.

Madridista
New User

Post by Madridista » 16 Jul 2006, 21:17

They dont like him because they say he is lazy and because he criticized them this season by saying that they never support him. Raul on the other side is a legend in Real Madrid. He's like Casillas. The fans will always love him regardless of what happens. He isnt as good as he used to be but he's still 29 so he still has seasons to play. Dont forget that he has been with Real Madrid since he was 17. And even then that wasnt his real age because he wanted to play so bad that he added a couple of years to his age. So he's been playing with Real for a long time and is the man who scored the most goals in the Champion's League.
Ronaldo is sometimes lazy indeed, but most of the time its just a backwash of the team ability. I mean, Ronaldo was never a player that goes down and doing pressure or trying to steal the ball from defenders, He was never a player like Raul that used and still running nonstop 90 min on the field. He is just not that kind of player, and real madrid fans dosent know that type of players like Ronaldo, and they clarify this as lazyness, but most of the times as I said it isnt about that. Ronaldo is a player that need to be "activated" by his teammates, meaning, He need to get the ball at his feet not to try and steal it from the other team. Real madrid is currently a team that simply isnt attacking enough for some reasons that irrelevant for this topic. Ronaldo aint got chances to show his abillity and touch the ball alot and the fans clarify this as lazyness.

about all those weird english fans that defend Becks:

You dunno sh*t about how bad this player is in real madrid. I mean, yes he used to be good while playing for Man.u, had some great passes, gave some great moments and his Freekicks was spectacular. but there is a big differnce between the Primiership and La-Liga. Beckham lacks with technique and speed which are required from every and each player that plays in La-Liga, all the more so for a top team like Real madrid. Beckham reputation drained for a reason. he cant produce the same ability like in Man.u, hes undoubtly a great footballer and he gives everything he got for his club wherever he plays, but that sometime just isnt enough.

Beckham ended up sending 50-60 crosses from 40 meters into the area that 1/60 times or less reach to a player that sometimes produce something from it but the waste of balls is just too big. He cant outrun defenders like any other winger in La-Liga should do, He dosent threat the goal except for the freekicks, and hes just stucked in our formation because right now he is economicly too important for the club to sit on the bench.

Beckham and Real-Madrid just dosent fit togheter. He was a great player but now he is simply a joke and i feel sorry for him because he deserves more. He used to be such a great player at Man.u, I Really hope he will go back there soon so he will end up his career and be remembred as a great player and captain and not as a walking joke.

floater

Post by floater » 16 Jul 2006, 21:41

alright
ronaldinho is not overrated bc perraira is an idiot
all players will get screwed over if the coach doesnt use em right