Peter Crouch

Discuss and compare your favorite players
jthursto

Peter Crouch

Post by jthursto » 26 Jun 2006, 16:49

Ok, I'm really curious to hear you guys' opinions on this guy. I, for one, think hes completely worthless. Just a pair of stilts with boots on. He's missed shots that had clear open nets, and so on. Not saying he hasn't scored, but there has just gotta be someone better than him for the English. I'd like to get some English fans input on this guy.

Wiseman_philosopher

Post by Wiseman_philosopher » 26 Jun 2006, 17:07

Not sure where you got the open-goal misses from, but I know what you're getting at. He is a little one-dimensional (maybe literally lol) and is not brilliant in the air given his size. However, he gives a different aspect of play which can change games. But which English players are better than Crouch in Germany?? Theo Walcott? I wouldn't know...
He who thinks too much about every step he takes will stay on one leg all his life.

SV_08

Post by SV_08 » 26 Jun 2006, 18:20

This world cup he hasn't been to influencial to the team, but the reason he even made the team was the impact he had on liverpool's season. He's so unique and causes problems for defense because, well, no one can mark him in the air.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 26 Jun 2006, 18:22

He is not international class. Should never have been in the squad

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

ziem
Sophomore Member

Post by ziem » 26 Jun 2006, 18:24

sven should've taken defoe or bent

SV_08

Post by SV_08 » 26 Jun 2006, 18:28

yeah that's true, i like crouch but i could've swore that those two would've backed up rooney and owen. As long as he isn't the reason they get knocked out, then no problems.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 26 Jun 2006, 18:31

Eriksson will be the reason we get knocked out

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 26 Jun 2006, 21:22

i agree that he doesnt know how to use the english players, but what if he wins the world cup?

in 98 aime jacquet was getting very criticized by people in his country. especially the media. so he told them he would quit after the world cup. well he won the world cup and still quit anyways. they treated him like scum before the world cup and when he won it they started treating him like a god.

by the way, im talking about sven goran eriksson
Last edited by *~El Maestro~* on 26 Jun 2006, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

Duffo

Post by Duffo » 26 Jun 2006, 22:43

Hes OK but not world class standard. If it wasnt for his height he wouldnt even be in the premiership lol But hes got a damn good celebration!

Fehmi
Sophomore Member

Post by Fehmi » 27 Jun 2006, 09:59

all of u think Crouch is bad, well i thoght that too. i didnt like him even though im with liverpoool. later, i recognized why hes important. first he gives passes back to the long range shooters like gerrard and lampard which is very useful, second although he doesn't move behind the defenders the playmakers will have less trouble in giving passes and instead send in a cross.

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 27 Jun 2006, 10:24

I think Crouch is a most underrated player, largely (no pun intended) because of his size. He looks ungainly and clumsy, but he actually is a terrific hold up up player. He keeps possession more than most strikers would, and his height gives him a psychological as well as physical advantage over many defenders, who simply sh*t themselves at the sight of him.

He's never going to be a 25 gola a season striker, but neither does he pretend to be. He is a link up/target man, who lpays a big role in building up attacks.

Whilst I would agree he is not international class, he is still a very good player.

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 27 Jun 2006, 10:27

I think Crouch is a most underrated player, largely (no pun intended) because of his size. He looks ungainly and clumsy, but he actually is a terrific hold up up player. He keeps possession more than most strikers would, and his height gives him a psychological as well as physical advantage over many defenders, who simply sh*t themselves at the sight of him.

He's never going to be a 25 gola a season striker, but neither does he pretend to be. He is a link up/target man, who lpays a big role in building up attacks.

Whilst I would agree he is not international class, he is still a very good player.

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 27 Jun 2006, 10:41

He has potential, but he needs to work on his pace as it often lets him down. I also feel that his presence encourages England to play too many long balls high up the pitch instead of playing along the ground.

However, as Sven seems unwilling to bring on Walcott, Crouch is the only other striker apart form Rooney (who is still not match fit) who we can actually play.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 27 Jun 2006, 15:49

*~El Maestro~* wrote:i agree that he doesnt know how to use the english players, but what if he wins the world cup?

in 98 aime jacquet was getting very criticized by people in his country. especially the media. so he told them he would quit after the world cup. well he won the world cup and still quit anyways. they treated him like scum before the world cup and when he won it they started treating him like a god.

by the way, im talking about sven goran eriksson
If England win the world cup, it will in spite of him, not because of him.

It's taken moments of quality from individuals that have got us this far, not Eriksson's tactics. If it wasn't for a stunning challenge by Ashley Cole and a world class free kick on Sunday, our tournament would be over.

The overall performance was down to Eriksson

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 27 Jun 2006, 16:57

You're spot on there, Matt. His lack of pace is a big disadvantage at this level, and as you say, his height encourages the rest of the England team to launch long balls at him. This detracts from the England teams performance as a whole, and is most frustrating.

The most astounding thing of all with regards to Walcott, is that he didn't get a game against Sweden. Surely, as we had already qualified, it was the ideal stage to "blood" him (as it were) and give him a bit of experience. It really doesn't look like he will be used at all. It makes his selection laughable. :oops: