The Complete player

Discuss and compare your favorite players
touchshoot

The Complete player

Post by touchshoot » 31 May 2006, 06:07

Many people in europe will tell you that the closest player to a being complete is that of Zinedine Zidane.

There are many traits and characteristics of a complete player but ive listed a few i think are compolsory:

1. Being able to read the game well
2. have leadership skills and know when to act and when to not
3.be able to make clean precise passes at the correct time.
4.have an attacking side of play and a defensive style of play
5.being able to lift the team at the right moments

Those are a few of the things that characterise a complete player feel free to add to these :wink:

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Re: The Complete player

Post by ballackfan » 25 Jun 2006, 17:45

touchshoot wrote:Many people in europe will tell you that the closest player to a being complete is that of Zinedine Zidane.
Well they are very correct, also Riquelme and Ballack :idea:

Where is Ronaldinho? If you look and studied the three I mentioned above you would understand that they are the best playmaker in the world right now.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 26 Jun 2006, 22:34

ronaldinho could definitely be added, but there was just something about zidane back in his prime. if you saw him play in about 2000-2004, you'll have seen the closest thing to perfect since pele. not to detract from ballack, riquelme, and ronaldinho, but to me zidane is still at the top of that list.
Hala Galacticos

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 26 Jun 2006, 22:40

yep you guys should watch the documentary/ movie on his life. its amazing. makes you want to go out and play football all day, and makes you respect him and see how he used to play when he was young and see everything he brought to football.

i think its called "Comme dans un reve" I'm not 100% sure though i havent watched it in a long time, and i dont know if its available in english or not.

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Post by ballackfan » 27 Jun 2006, 05:13

Is there a link to view Comme dans un reve for free?

I think it is in French, though I saw a couple interview videos of Zidane nothing could be as good as you said.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 27 Jun 2006, 12:18

ah i dont know about watching it for free.maybe if u downloaded it u could watch it for free.

but its oustanding. it starts out when he's a kid and u basically follow him throughout his whole life and see how it was for him growing up in marseille and then leaving his family to go train at the nantes(?) formation center. they interview him, his friends, family, ex coaches. everyone.

there was this part where all the boys at the formation center used to go out to the cinema on weekends or go visit other friends. So the formation center was basically empty except for the staff. However Zidane used to stay and hit a ball against the wall for hours and hours..... while his friends were out having fun.

i like it alot cuz it gives u inspiration and some parts are emotional.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 27 Jun 2006, 15:51

Wayne Rooney isn't far away from being the complete player now...and he won't be at his peak for another 7 years

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

Ronnie9

Post by Ronnie9 » 27 Jun 2006, 22:46

To me it's Zidane for sure, although his defensive abilities and speed might be his only weaknesses. Gerrard is pretty good aswell, he can defend and strike also he lifts up his team in the crucial moments, we all seen that. no need to talk about his leadership abilities.

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Post by ballackfan » 27 Jun 2006, 23:53

Zidane performance today against Spain was below average. France could have easily beaten Spain by two to three goals. He didn't really makes plays like he used to with France today. The ball just seem to be loss and contained possession over and over by both sides. Just like I predicted France was strong physically, Spaniards are not so.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 28 Jun 2006, 19:29

he made some amazing passes though. the offside trap of the spaniards was nearly impeccable and it was the only reason they didnt lose by a larger margin.

yes i agree with Ronnie9. gerrard is a very complete player.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 29 Jun 2006, 00:21

ratherton wrote:Wayne Rooney isn't far away from being the complete player now...and he won't be at his peak for another 7 years
the main thing rooney lacks is defensive responsibility. but other than that, rooney is going to probably be close to a complete player some day.
Hala Galacticos

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 29 Jun 2006, 02:34

i dont think you can consider a striker as a complete player because they rarely come back to help out on defense. for that reason i would have to think it would have to be a midfielder, or a defender like roberto carlos, thats why my pic as the most complete players are zidane, gerrard, and roberto carlos because he always comes up on the left and gets into the action and can also score goals from free kicks and by coming into the box.

Bobton
Sophomore Member

Post by Bobton » 29 Jun 2006, 04:56

ballackfan wrote:Zidane performance today against Spain was below average. France could have easily beaten Spain by two to three goals. He didn't really makes plays like he used to with France today. The ball just seem to be loss and contained possession over and over by both sides. Just like I predicted France was strong physically, Spaniards are not so.
Zidane scored the third one, and set up the second one beautifully. He wasn't below average. They also did beat spain by two goals.

He's past his peak though, but that peak is higher than anyone else's skill level currently IMO

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Post by ballackfan » 29 Jun 2006, 05:19

Zidane didn't play well as he used to. Because he's a bit aged. Now if he were to play at his peak like you said he could have scored many more goals and assists. That's why he's below average of his potential. France is very powerful when Zidane is in full control. Unfortunately that's not the case but they did got a win at the end with a heartbeat third goal finishing Spain.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 29 Jun 2006, 14:23

i would say that ballack is more of a complete player than ronaldinho because he can play more defensively than ronaldinho.

he is more of a midfielder than ronaldinho cuz ronaldinho can be used as a striker too. ronaldinho plays more offensively

i would say that ballack and gerrard and zidane are some of the most complete players.