Ronaldo

Discuss and compare your favorite players
Madridista
New User
Posts: 11
Joined: 14 Jul 2006, 22:00

Post by Madridista » 16 Jul 2006, 20:49

Great players like Ronaldo can be the best in the world even in the age of 30+. Zidane proved that in the latest World-Cup.

Ronaldo already said he will play at the next world cup and i hope he will be able to produce some more goals there and even a title to increase his record and make it completly unbreakable.

He only need a good team behind him its not about his abillity, Which is great almost all the time.

Neither in Real-Madrid and nor in the Celesao he had some good backbone behind him. Ronaldo is known to be the most effective striker in the world, maybe even at all times, but a striker need to recive passes that he can produce something - an assist or a goal, from them. that didnt happend not in the world cup and not in Real madrid for the last 2 years atleast.

The amazing thing is that he is still scoring and scoring nonstop, Ronaldo scored last season 21 league goals, this season 14 goals ( in 20 league games ), and 3 goals in 5 games with the Celesao at the world cup.

I Think hes still atleast one of the top-3 strikers in the world. I Hope he will be able to prove that next season in real madrid with Capelo and hopefully a much better team.

Ronnie9
Junior Member
Posts: 97
Joined: 31 Oct 2005, 12:33
Location: Sweet home Philly, US

Post by Ronnie9 » 17 Jul 2006, 11:24

Great players like Ronaldo can be the best in the world even in the age of 30+. Zidane proved that in the latest World-Cup.
But Zidane is a midfielder so it doesn't matter that much if he has a lower stamina or a slower speed as long as he can deliver passes and do rest of the job, believe me I wanna see Ronaldo playin more than anyone here but it seems pretty unlikely. I remember hearing him on Real Madrid TV saying that this would be his last world cup too. hope it's not.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member
Posts: 1631
Joined: 25 Mar 2005, 19:39

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 17 Jul 2006, 11:57

Midfielders need better stamina than strikers do. I dunno what your talking about. Midfielders do the most job on the field cuz they link up the defence with the attack so they are constantly in movement always opening up to get passes and making alot of runs to come back in defence and to counter attack.

Most strikers just need to make runs in the attacking area and destabilize the defence. As soon as their team goes back in defence you can see them walking around next to the opposing defence. Midfielders are running for the whole game man.
Image

Madridista
New User
Posts: 11
Joined: 14 Jul 2006, 22:00

Post by Madridista » 17 Jul 2006, 15:54

Ronaldo can play at his current style even if he will be 40 almost without any difference when it comes to stamina.

his speed will ofcourse wont be the same in 4 years from now ( but a jet like ronaldo will still be able to outrun most of the defenders, depends if he will keep on healthy-lifestyle and shape, unlike now ), he maybe wont be quick with his legs like before but he will still be one of the best strikers i think, experience + effeciency will cover up for his speed and quickness loss.

about the stamina thingy, Ronaldo was never a player that runs too much and exerting himself on the pitch, thats why i think he will be able to play extacly the same in the age of 34 because he wont reach his stamina limits at all, altough his limits will drain pyshicaly ofcourse - he just wont feel it most of the games.

MBanić
Junior Member
Posts: 96
Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 15:52

Post by MBanić » 17 Jul 2006, 21:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2erVEa9SW9s

Ignore the gay song and just enjoy the magic of the so called fatass.

floater
Senior Member
Posts: 158
Joined: 16 Jul 2006, 21:37
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by floater » 22 Jul 2006, 14:04

ronaldo is the greatest productive dribbler to have been in soccer in the last decade
his moves for Barcelona, Inter, Madrid, Brazil are amazing, his goal against Turkey in 02, he is the only player that couldve made such a goal

DouDou
Senior Member
Posts: 181
Joined: 18 May 2006, 02:27
Location: New Jersey, United Sates

Post by DouDou » 27 Jul 2006, 18:51

Ronaldo is one of the best strikers in the world. He is a great player, he has had several misshaps , and has made some stupid decisions (like leaving Barcelonna).

One other major problem he has had is not having a good player in the foward position that he connected with. The only player that formed a killer duo with Ronaldo was Romario. They completed each other, and Brazil was undefeated 1994-1998. For instance, after trailing 3-0 to Italy in Confederation cup in 1997, he they came back and scored 3 goals. Zagallo was stupid not to include Romarion in 1998 WC team

MBanić
Junior Member
Posts: 96
Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 15:52

Post by MBanić » 28 Jul 2006, 15:23

DouDou wrote:Ronaldo is one of the best strikers in the world. He is a great player, he has had several misshaps , and has made some stupid decisions (like leaving Barcelonna).

One other major problem he has had is not having a good player in the foward position that he connected with. The only player that formed a killer duo with Ronaldo was Romario. They completed each other, and Brazil was undefeated 1994-1998. For instance, after trailing 3-0 to Italy in Confederation cup in 1997, he they came back and scored 3 goals. Zagallo was stupid not to include Romarion in 1998 WC team
He was injured, thats why he wasn't included.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie
Posts: 3767
Joined: 07 Jul 2006, 02:08
Location: Canada

Post by gnarlyjim » 29 Jul 2006, 02:26

Ronnie9 wrote:
Great players like Ronaldo can be the best in the world even in the age of 30+. Zidane proved that in the latest World-Cup.
But Zidane is a midfielder so it doesn't matter that much if he has a lower stamina or a slower speed as long as he can deliver passes and do rest of the job, believe me I wanna see Ronaldo playin more than anyone here but it seems pretty unlikely. I remember hearing him on Real Madrid TV saying that this would be his last world cup too. hope it's not.

Wow. Am I hearing this correctly? Your first sentence is saying that Striker is a more physically demanding position than Midfield? A striker basically plays on one half of the field (the opposing team's half), whereas a midfielder is constantly running back and forth, back and forth. I definitely think midfield involves more running. Maybe I'll post a Poll...

Also, Ronaldo is still incredible at what he does. Sure, he might not be as fast, or have as much stamina as he once did, but R9 is one of the last players you want around your 18yd box.

Peace.

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post by soccer11 » 29 Jul 2006, 02:35

definitly, i think that ronaldo will have a bounce back season this up-coming season and will prove everyone wrong, i think with the addition of emerson will help him the most if he plays like i think he will, and he'll get him the ball, and then its all up to who are the other fowards.

*yung-ital*
Pending Mod
Posts: 1317
Joined: 21 Apr 2005, 03:52
Location: Canada

Post by *yung-ital* » 29 Jul 2006, 04:42

gnarlyjim wrote:
Ronnie9 wrote:
Great players like Ronaldo can be the best in the world even in the age of 30+. Zidane proved that in the latest World-Cup.
But Zidane is a midfielder so it doesn't matter that much if he has a lower stamina or a slower speed as long as he can deliver passes and do rest of the job, believe me I wanna see Ronaldo playin more than anyone here but it seems pretty unlikely. I remember hearing him on Real Madrid TV saying that this would be his last world cup too. hope it's not.

Wow. Am I hearing this correctly? Your first sentence is saying that Striker is a more physically demanding position than Midfield? A striker basically plays on one half of the field (the opposing team's half), whereas a midfielder is constantly running back and forth, back and forth. I definitely think midfield involves more running. Maybe I'll post a Poll...

Also, Ronaldo is still incredible at what he does. Sure, he might not be as fast, or have as much stamina as he once did, but R9 is one of the last players you want around your 18yd box.

Peace.
Strikers make more explosive runs throughout the game and have to chase the backline of defense when they are playing it back and forth to eachother. Trust me, you need more stamina for a striker, i played striker for one year, and midfield for another, and i was dead after playing striker because i was constantly sprinting
Image
KevinR9 Thanks Bruvva

G-Unit-Freestyler
Senior Member
Posts: 279
Joined: 01 Jan 2006, 16:11

Post by G-Unit-Freestyler » 29 Jul 2006, 21:00

And I have played midfielder and striker and I notice the exact same opposite. As midfielder I found myself doing more individual runs and running back to help in defence. Now I play striker and I dont have to run back to help the defensive third every single time.

Back on Ronaldo, I think he's losing it and yeh I wonder why he was selected instead of Robinho. As for Real, I expect him to still have a starting spot, tho undeservedly. He shud be benched and Cassano and Robinho upfront with some new and younger flesh instead.

MBanić
Junior Member
Posts: 96
Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 15:52

Post by MBanić » 30 Jul 2006, 00:00

G-Unit-Freestyler wrote:And I have played midfielder and striker and I notice the exact same opposite. As midfielder I found myself doing more individual runs and running back to help in defence. Now I play striker and I dont have to run back to help the defensive third every single time.

Back on Ronaldo, I think he's losing it and yeh I wonder why he was selected instead of Robinho. As for Real, I expect him to still have a starting spot, tho undeservedly. He shud be benched and Cassano and Robinho upfront with some new and younger flesh instead.
:x NO! Now that Capello is back, Real can go back to it's winning days and Ronaldo to his 1000 goals per game days.

mak9
Senior Member
Posts: 167
Joined: 19 Sep 2005, 22:01

Post by mak9 » 30 Jul 2006, 04:21

lol....

I guess the worst feeling for a world class footballer is when he is nearing his end

especially for Ronaldo; he was a galatic star in 94-98 02-04 seasons; he set such a high standard for himself and gets the heaviest critisim now when he is reaching retirement.

what happens in the next few years for him; he is already a legend.

*yung-ital*
Pending Mod
Posts: 1317
Joined: 21 Apr 2005, 03:52
Location: Canada

Post by *yung-ital* » 30 Jul 2006, 04:43

G-Unit-Freestyler wrote:And I have played midfielder and striker and I notice the exact same opposite. As midfielder I found myself doing more individual runs and running back to help in defence. Now I play striker and I dont have to run back to help the defensive third every single time.

Back on Ronaldo, I think he's losing it and yeh I wonder why he was selected instead of Robinho. As for Real, I expect him to still have a starting spot, tho undeservedly. He shud be benched and Cassano and Robinho upfront with some new and younger flesh instead.
There are often times for strikers where you make a run and you don't get the ball though. Go outside right now and go sprint for 20 seconds, and then go 'run' for 40 seconds, and tell me which one tires you out more. Strikers don't have to defend because they are constantly sprinting , and sometimes they don't even get the ball, sometimes they run just to take defenders off the other forward and/or midfields. Midfield does take a lot of stamina but i guess it all just depends on the game.
Image
KevinR9 Thanks Bruvva

Post Reply