Ronaldo

Discuss and compare your favorite players
peps1154
Veteran Member

Ronaldo still has talent and he shows flashes of brilliance (especially recently) however what you should do is watch some more Real Madrid so u can see how out of shape and slow he is.

prof_raza

It is simply because he is the best natural goal scorer in the world and his finishing is clinical.

Despite not being physically fit, he still has the pace to outrun defenders, still has an amazing first touch and an eye for goal

Plus, just his presence lifts the Brazilian squad.

He is an influence not only on, but off the pitch as well. And that is why he is there on the squad.

mikaldinho

this topic is simple: ronaldo on form=best striker in the world
ronaldo out of form=useless

powell
English Meister

i agree with peps here even in the pictures of him recently he looks fat ... i think that in the summer it would be best for him to move i mean staying at real isnt doing much for his game ... if any team he should go to an english club because the pace is soo much more different not as layed back as la liga and his fitness will grow at an english club through training and game play

DouDou

Ronaldo is one of the best strikers i have ever seen. The is I believe the only ambidextrous, he is equally excellent with both feet. One of his main problems i think is lack of fighting for the ball

Chilavinho
New User

I have a unsurmountable amount of respect for Ronaldo, he's a legend, but after watching him lag around today on the pitch against Croatia, I've lost faith in the guy.
He was walking around, and half-assing the whole time he was in. Perreira needs to take him out of the starting lineup and put in Robinho, him and Adriano will do a much better job producing goals in the games to come.

Chi.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Ronaldo was a great player, but his time has passed. Robinho played heaps better than Ronaldo once he was subbed in, and he created more chances in 15 minutes than Ronaldo had produced the entire game. Brazil would be much better off if Ronaldo didnt take the pitch again this world cup. It's kind of sad, he's one goal away from the brazillian world cup record and 3 away from the world record, but it looks like he's not going to do it. Oh well......

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

DouDou wrote:Ronaldo is one of the best strikers i have ever seen. The is I believe the only ambidextrous, he is equally excellent with both feet. One of his main problems i think is lack of fighting for the ball
he isnt the only ambidextrous striker, and i dont think he's naturally ambidextrous. he's better with his right foot.

anyways it is true he isnt fighting for the ball but apparently he was sick the week before the game. i dont think we should write him off right now. one game isnt enough to judge a player. i believe he will beat that record because brazil still has alot of games to play. he just needs to get back into the game.

carl155
Sophomore Member

doesnt anyone know that Ronaldo just came back from surgury? thats the main reason why he is so out of shape for being in the world cup. If anyone saw him today during brazil's opeing game, he was barely shown on the camera cause he was walking along with the Croatian Defense. The only thing he did was take a shot a the goal and missed. If he wants one more goal to tie Pele with the most goals in the world cup, he needs to get back to the way he was. I still believe theres some left in him before he gets older.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

i believe he will beat that record because brazil still has alot of games to play. he just needs to get back into the game.
If he starts every game for brazil then there is no doubt he will beat the record. Eventually ronaldinho or kaka will beat 3 defenders and pass it to Ronaldo for a tap in goal.

But the right thing for the team and not the individual would be to bench Ronaldo entirely. They would be much better off with Robinho as a starter, and no one can argue that. I think that (unfortunately) Pareirra will start Ronaldo for at least the rest of the group stage, but we'll see.

Really, with Ronaldo is so immobile that when he's on the field brazil are nearly playing with ten men. He does not make runs, he does not draw many defenders, and he does nothing in the counterrattack. He's only good if the ball comes directly to his feet and there are no defenders around him, so he has time to SLOWLY turn around and fire a shot.
Last edited by ajc on 14 Jun 2006, 02:13, edited 1 time in total.

Duffo

When i watched him against Croatia it really hurt to watch lol Too see an absolute legend have such a pathetic game was a sad sight. However alot of this is down to him and the lack of effort he has, he is not willing to sprint for the ball or train and get fully fit in training. I think all his early days at inter went to his head and he thinks hes too good for training.

I hope he beats the goal scoring record and I hope he shows his critics (including me at the moment) that there wrong and he has still got it :D

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

"Ok I have a question whats up with Ronaldo being in the Brazilian national team."

Although Ronaldo is no longer the best striker in the world, he is still amazing. It sounds like you are criticising a player for only being the 5th best striker in the world??? Does that make sense?

MBanić

Sorry guys to tell you... I know that i certainly AM not sorry but...
Ronaldo's bid for successive World Cup medals ended with Brazil's 1-0 loss to France. In the wake of this defeat 29 year-old Ronaldo pledged that he will play for Brazil in the years to come and in the 2010 World Cup.
4 years... i think that's enough to regain your shape, dontcha think?

Ronnie9

4 years... i think that's enough to regain your shape, dontcha think?
U serious?? 30 or 31 years of age would be enough for a striker to retire, no way Ronaldo will be playing the next world cup.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

It all depends on how fit you are. He has had a very difficult career due to injuries and operations. By the way he is going to have another operation on his knee in brazil. But he came back in 2002 so i think that if he's very determined and fit he can come back to the next world cup because he will be 34. There are many players that old that still feel fit enough to play. They just decide to retire because they think that its time for the younger players to play. For example, Roberto Carlos and Juninho have announced their international retirement not because they are too old to play but because they want to let the new generation take over.

Look at Del Piero. He's old but he's still playing as a striker too. And he went to the finals and won the competition. I think if Ronaldo is determined enough and works hard on his fitness he can make it to the world cup in south africa. After all he will be 34. Who else do we know who played his last world cup at the age of 34? Zizou,