Freddy Adu, future superstar or marketing puppet?

Discuss and compare your favorite players

Is Freddy Adu worth all the hype?

Yes, but he's still too young
12%
Yes, but he's still too young
12%
He is good, but not will never be great
8%
He is good, but not will never be great
8%
No, he's just overrated
12%
No, he's just overrated
12%
It's too early to tell
18%
It's too early to tell
18%

Total votes: 100

expert
Site Admin

Freddy Adu, future superstar or marketing puppet?

Post by expert »

Freddy Adu was born on June 02, 1989 in Tema, Ghana.
He moved to the United States along with his family when he was eight (1997) and became an American citizen in 2003. Adu joined the US U-17 residency program in Bradenton, FL in January of 2002. At 13 years of age he finished second on the team in terms of scoring with 22 goals. By the end of 2003, Freddy signed a multi-year deal with D.C United after being selected the first overall pick of the MLS SuperDraft.

Freddy Adu is currently the poster boy of US soccer. He is one of the highest paid players in America and has an endorsement contract with Nike worth over a million dollars. But does he stand up to all the hype?
Adu finished his first season at DC with only four goals. Although he performed well with the U-17 national team, Freddy has been relatively mediocre at the professional level. There is no doubt that Freddy is very talented for his age, but let’s not forget that Ronaldo was a prolific scorer in Brazil at only 16. At 17, the Brazilian was selected in the squad of his country as they won the 1994 World Cup. And what about Wayne Rooney and Christiano Ronaldo? They both became established footballers in top European leagues by the time they were 18.

Only time will tell if Freddy can stand up to all the expectations. Do you think he’s up to it?
Last edited by expert on 01 May 2005, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
Davido6
New User

Post by Davido6 »

I guess I'll be the first to post.

Well, Freddy Adu is definetly talented no doubt about that. In the U-17 squad at 14 (or is it 13?) is proof to that.

However, I think it is too soon for him to be playing at such a high level. Freddy's only 15! He should be given time to relax and mature like all teenagers.

But, he is playing against professionals at this young tender age will give him experience, especially as improvement is most drastic during these young years.

Really it's impossible to tell. Talented? Yes. Sucess? Hopefully.

Post by Guest »

Yes...only time will tell with Freddy.
paolog
New User

Sorry if i`m rude

Post by paolog »

Hey sorry if this sounds rude but I pesonally think that Freddy is a good player but he is a victim of USA`s publicity and USA`s hope`s to have an international star like other countries. Sorry but he`s not all that....
jarmaine
New User

do u think Freddy Adu is good

Post by jarmaine »

Davido6 wrote:I guess I'll be the first to post.

Well, Freddy Adu :o is definetly talented no doubt about that. In the U-17 squad at 14 (or is it 13?) is proof to that.

However, I think it is too soon for him to be playing at such a high level. Freddy's only 15! He should be given time to relax and mature like all teenagers.

But, he is playing against professionals at this young tender age will give him experience, especially as improvement is most drastic during these young years.

Really it's impossible to tell. Talented? Yes. Sucess? Hopefully.
Star

Post by Star »

He's really too young to tell, but, if he lives up to the hype, he'll be one hell of a player won't he? There is so much publicity around him at such a tender age, lets hope he don't do a "Gazza" eh? (Or should that be G8 now?) and let it all go to his head...
ESI BAGGIO
New User

Post by ESI BAGGIO »

who is edu?
ONLY ROBY
TAILFISH
New User

Post by TAILFISH »

no idea
CR

Ops"

Post by CR »

This Freddy Adu issue will be solved for itself. When he was supposed to reach to "senior age" he will be finishing his career with, let's say, 33 years old. I don't know how a coutry like USA is not able to do tests to find out, once for all, what's Freddy's real age. Mainly because it's know that some football players in Ghana go to do the Born registration riding a bicycle. See the many issues arided by FIFA with National teams from Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon and so for suspicious age of younger players. No wonder that Freddy is now a mere average player. He is now playing, for the first time, with people of his age. Cristiano Ronaldo or Wayne Rooney are real outstanding young stars.
Earnie
Sophomore Member

Post by Earnie »

when i first heard of this guy it was in a magizine on the letter pages and the magizine told them that we would only know how good he will be in a few years before that i thought he was goin to make a major impact on football but now im not sure just look at Jermaine Pennant he was supposed to be special at that age but now he is a good player but he wasnt good enough to get in to the arsenal team so only time will tell
Nets stretch and stadiums smile.
soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

Post by soccerchic_06 »

freddy is great, why do u think he is playing on a VERY high level against ppl who are much older than him?? This will give him great experience and he will definately learn how to play on the national level and other hard levels just by being selected to play on a team at that age!!! Yes, he is too young to tell, but he does have great talent. And what do u mean ONLY scoring 4 goals?? Thats not exactly what soccer is all about! There are the facts he's made good plays and assists and stuff like that. Its not only about the goals. And i have a question. what do u mean they don't know his age? how can they not? oh, and another question. How do u get to be drafted and known at such a young age?
madridfc
Veteran Member

Re: Ops"

Post by madridfc »

CR wrote:This Freddy Adu issue will be solved for itself. When he was supposed to reach to "senior age" he will be finishing his career with, let's say, 33 years old. I don't know how a coutry like USA is not able to do tests to find out, once for all, what's Freddy's real age. Mainly because it's know that some football players in Ghana go to do the Born registration riding a bicycle. See the many issues arided by FIFA with National teams from Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon and so for suspicious age of younger players. No wonder that Freddy is now a mere average player. He is now playing, for the first time, with people of his age. Cristiano Ronaldo or Wayne Rooney are real outstanding young stars.

easy, CR. can't we all jsut accept that he really is 15 or whatever? there have been so many tests/investigations and stuff, that it should be accepted that he really is how old he says he is. give him a break
olé

"I wouldn't say i was the best manager in the business, i was in the top one."
captain_mostafa

Post by captain_mostafa »

There are a lot of yung ppl who look strong. I think im not sure he looks very strong becoase he has thick bones and then has the muscles so he looks very strong. but for the looks a lot of ppl look older or yunger than there age. :)
CR

Adu's age

Post by CR »

There are lots of simple medical things to test Adu's age. None was done untill now because I think that USA need to have a big star and a wonder 13 years old boy was just perfect. Bones get a bigger amount of calcium with age, the sphenoid gets less cartilagean and skull suture lines (very indented lines between skull's bones) get smoother with age. Another almost 30 simple array of biometric measures can take place. Can anyone tell me at least 2 that was used with Freddy? I sure would like to know and, being outside USA, I can admit that i'm not very good informed. Adu's facial hair is not noticeble but this is a phenotipical characteristic of most people from Africa. One good example is the brasilian César Prates (http://www.galatasaray.org.tr/images/buyuk/prates18.jpg) taht now is 30 years old but just a few years ago (3 to be exact), when he played for Sporting Lisbon, he looked like a 16 year old boy. Freddy is a talented average player but nothing compaired with Cristiano Ronaldo that, with 16 was already a Sporting Lisbon Star. Rooney for instance is almost the same age as Freddy and look to him playing. Ronaldo was a brasilian star with 17. Well, it can be a little unfair to compair Freddy's with Cristiano Ronaldo or Rooney that, in a few years, will probably be the world's best players. I sure will like very much that Footbal will become a major sport in USA and good players will help for sure. But come on, do not be very confident with "young" players like Freddy that come from countryes with a very long story os suspicious ages from players in young national teams. It would be good to know the real Freddy's age, even for him, because now the preasure is becoming bigger with slight deceptional performances from him while playing with "older" players. That will increase over time i suppose. We already commited that mistake in Europe a long time ago.... Nowdays young values from africa or Asia are extensivly submited to age's tests. And trust me, despite this cases, Africa is a non stopable spring of outstanding young players. Just to name a few look for Eusebio, Whea, Eto, etc. Despite this post, I'll be the first to be happy for Freddy and for USA's footbal if time will tell that i was wrong. For now sorry but I'm a bit septic.
cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid »

he is great....for his age. i don't think he's ready to lead the national team or anything though.