George Best passed away

Discuss and compare your favorite players
peps1154
Veteran Member

On Friday in the Cromwell London Hospital died George Best at the age of 59. He was a wonderfull football player and the game looses much trought his departure. May he now play football in heaven. ['] ['] ['] [']

[edit by wiseman]

matt
EF Forum Legend

The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

gramos_gashi
New User

If u all could hold like a 1 minute silence to respect what George Best has done in football.

RIP

Gramos Gashi

PS
WE GOING WC BABY (AUS)

Sputnik

The Best

Respect
  (¯`v´¯)
   `·.¸.·´
  ¸.·´¸.·´¨)    ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´      (¸.·´      (¸.·´´·¸¸.·¨¯`

Mr.SoccerMojo
Veteran Member

Thanks peps1154 I was going to post this the sec. I heard about it but my computer has been down for a while.
He's one of the reasons that I wanted to become a striker.
(It's sad that so few people know who he is :(
Those who race towards death
Those who wait
&
Those who worry

Sputnik

Here in england it was all over the news. anyone who knows anything bout football knows who he is and why hes so famous, not to mention the hundreds of thousands who know him (famously or infamously) from various sources. Dunno bout everywhere else, but here at least, his name will be remembered for the greater good, RIP
  (¯`v´¯)
   `·.¸.·´
  ¸.·´¸.·´¨)    ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´      (¸.·´      (¸.·´´·¸¸.·¨¯`

RG900
Veteran Member

goerge best is 1 of da greatest soccer legends that has existed. He was an amazing soccer play and also a pimp. i also heard on da news they r comparing him to wayne rooney

RIP GOERGE

RESPECT
RAMI 07

Piccadilly

ALL HAIL

i hope there is football in heaven and i hope he went there.
RIP
12-2-1 with 4goals and ten assists

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

one of the saddest days in world football. fifaworldcup.com has a great tribute article, and they hit it perfectly when they said he's "the best player never to grace a world cup final." rest in peace mr. best
Hala Galacticos

jdefoe
Forum groupie

I'd say he would have been one of the best ever. He was one of the most natural footballers ive ever seen. He was so graceful on the pitch. He is underrated because he played internationally for northern ireland. Imagine if he had to play for England, he would be much more well known. for a player to be considered one of the best all time, he must have success internationally and with his club. George was probably the most talented EPL player ever. He set records by the time he was 24. Imagine if he had to play out his career, or atleast finish his prime years! he would have really been something.

peps1154
Veteran Member

U got a point Jdefoe but it was Georges own fault that he wasn't anything, his drinking problem first ended his career early and then sadly his life.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

it doesn't matter what he did internationally to me. he was one of the top 5 of all time as far as i can see it. there have been plenty of greats, but there's a level beyond great: legend. that's what best was. he WAS manchester united. i don't care who else they had. he was the best they ever had. international play is made up of much more talented opposition. one player can't carry an international team, no matter who they are. he did the best he could with what he had. he was born in northern ireland, and he couldn't help it. any player who can be the undisputed best in any nation's footballing history is a legend as far as i'm concerned. he was a legend even though he didn't finish his career well. he's europe's maradona (meaning SECOND best), and no one can take that away from him. anyway, that's my opinion.
Hala Galacticos

soccer11
Admin

i believe he was a great player, number 2 in europe all-time (just behind Beckenbauer but that's biased cuz beckenbauer's one of my hero's) You have to accept the fact though that he kinda killed himself with his drinking, What really pisses me off though is that htye only had like a 10 second thing on CNN and i didnt even see like sportcenter or whatever so i dont know what they had.+

ratherton
Veteran Member

Pele said George Best was the best player of all time. If you have the chance, watch a DVD or video of him playing. You have to also remember he played in a time when skilful players weren't protected by referees and pitches were mudbaths.

Off the pitch he was a total gentleman. A guy I know met him many years ago and spent an evening in a bar with him. During the time, George never refused anyone an autograph. He knew how to treat fans, unlike many of the prima donas of today.

He was also a very funny guy and did a lot of speaking with his friend and former player, Rodney Marsh. Im too young to ever have seen him play live but I've never heard a bad word said about him (I don't count kiss and tell stories in newspapers as they are usually lies).

On a TV interview a few years ago, the interview started:
"So George, you had every schoolboys dream"
"What? 2 Miss Worlds?"

That summed him up. A legend on and off the field. The world is a poorer place without him. RIP George.

For the record, I still think Pele was the best player of all time.