are they over paid?

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes: 18

jdefoe
Forum groupie

I think they are way overpaid, and I feel that its our fault for buying all the memorabilia and tickets at outrageous prices. It's all about supply and demand. When the industry sucks us in, owners can get economists to calculate maximum profit. I think that we are to blame since we buy all these things. What do you guys think?

matt
EF Forum Legend

yes footballers are overpaid, of course they are. rio ferdiand gets over £120,000 a week - more than what most people earn in three years. but it is not entirely down to the fans, although we do contribute a considerable chunk of it.

consider the following :

1) most footballers retire at around 33 years old or older. in a normal profession they would still have 30 years of working ahead of them. so they need some just for normal living, as they would find it degrading to then work like a normal person

2) higher-profile players are sought after by several clubs, so to persuade them to join, managers tend to offer lucrative deals. take micheal ballack, sir alex ferguson is preparing to make him the premierships highest paid player.

3) players such as cristiano ronaldo and henry are paid by companies such as nike, renault and suzuki to advertise. this has nothing to do with fans, although it does promote the product and by using players can appeal to fans

so it is not just the merchandise and ticket side of it
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

no doubt
they are overpaid, i just think its sad how football is becoming too much of a business.

matt
EF Forum Legend

of course football is a business, it always has been, how could it not be?

everyone needs to earn money, pro footballers think the best way for them to do that is to play football.

clubs want success so they bring in the best players possible. to raise money they charge high ticket prices and sell replica shirts.

sports manufacturers want to advertise so they sponsor top players.

every sport is a business, i dont know how u wouldnt see the logic behind that....
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

ratherton
Veteran Member

If a player generates huge amounts of money for his club (for example, Beckham) then these high wages are justified.

In general though, I agree. Players are ridiculously wealthy now...and it's not just top players, it's the average and rubbish players in the lower divisons getting wages far in excess of what clubs can afford

Piccadilly

those poor guys, they cant work after their 30, and they have to live in a mansion after playing 20 years of football for fame and glory. lol
12-2-1 with 4goals and ten assists

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

I do believe that football players are over paid but most of them work it off during the season like henry or ronaldinho for example. When u think about it, these players have to go through alot to earn their pay. Other sports such as american football or baseball arent as difficult to train for as soccer, lets face it, you dont really need to be in great physical shape for sports like golf, american football, or baseball. Soccer players need to constantly be in great physical condition to play. Hard work = High pay

Piccadilly

dont compare it to other sports cause thy're overpaid too, compare it to being a manual laborer or even a soldier and its nothing.
12-2-1 with 4goals and ten assists

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Piccadilly wrote:dont compare it to other sports cause thy're overpaid too, compare it to being a manual laborer or even a soldier and its nothing.
Yes, i guess i would agree with u on this

peps1154
Veteran Member

I voted that they are not overpaid because they get alot of money, but look at other sports.Besides it dosn't bother me how much they get paid because im not a jelous type and also alot of their money goes to charity. Furthermore I plan to be a pro and while I love the game I think it would be nice to finnaly be able to afford everything I want and then donate to others. U guys got good points nontheless.

expert
Site Admin

jdefoe wrote:I think they are way overpaid, and I feel that its our fault for buying all the memorabilia and tickets at outrageous prices.
The most profit comes from merchandise and broadcasting rights. Attendance is not that important for most pro clubs.
jdefoe wrote:It's all about supply and demand. When the industry sucks us in, owners can get economists to calculate maximum profit. I think that we are to blame since we buy all these things. What do you guys think?
Overpaid according to who's perspective? Clubs are not stupid, they won't pay too much for a player unless his presence will return their investment. The problem I see is with guys like Beckham who have a really high market value just because of their popularity.
With €25million (£17million) a year, England captain Beckham tops the table ahead of his Real Madrid team-mates Ronaldo, who earns €19.6m (£13.3m), and Zinedine Zidane, on €13m (£8.8m).
The three each have salaries of €6.4m (£4.36m) and collect €200,000 a year (£136,000) in bonuses. However, Beckham earns an additional £12.5m in advertising contracts, Ronaldo receiving £8.8m for his commercial deals and Zidane £4.4m.
OK, even if you put the advertising aside, should Beckham get the same salary as Ronaldo and Zidane? Hmm. That's why Makelele left Real, they weren't paying him nearly as much even though he was the backbone of the team.
I don't think footballers are overpaid. The only problem I have is with "superstars" who get paid for their name and not skills.
matt wrote:of course football is a business, it always has been, how could it not be?
It wasn't this crazy prior to 1995-6. In general, player value has skyrocketed since then.

Jackson1986

i have seen this similar topic on some channel.they also explain as what matt said.i'm agree with him.but why the soccer can make such huge profit.i think it's the expand of soccer.you see,the whole world focus the Europe .and the clubs get much money.so the player must get their high pay.but i know in some poor area,such as Asia ,Afric,the player cannot get the same as player in Europe though he's much better than some player in Europe.THE EXPAND OF SOCCER is the reason!
in an early time,soccer has a good situation ,player kicked it just for soccer.he liked it.so simple! also it exists in NBA.

my webpage

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

yea matt its been a business for a long time. i just think that if football wasnt so focused about making so much money then it would be better. Its crazy when u see abrahamovic buying essien for 38 million.

jdefoe
Forum groupie

jdefoe wrote:It's all about supply and demand. When the industry sucks us in, owners can get economists to calculate maximum profit. I think that we are to blame since we buy all these things. What do you guys think?
Overpaid according to who's perspective? Clubs are not stupid, they won't pay too much for a player unless his presence will return their investment. The problem I see is with guys like Beckham who have a really high market value just because of their popularity.
Overpaid according to our perspective, economists figure all this stuff out. Most of the money does come from merchandise and broadcasts, but without fans, they would be nothing. The fans, mostly the one's who attend the games regularly, are a good portion of the club's profit. This is what economists do: they calculate the balance point of supply and demand where they can get the maximum attendance while making the most money. For example, in american football stadiums, clubs can charge 30$ for people to sit in the nosebleeds because the club knows that there is a great demand, and the seats will be sold. The same goes for soccer, they can charge what they want for the tickets, and people will still go, making them an increased profit.

ratherton
Veteran Member

The problem of overpaid players is far more serious in the smaller clubs. When a team gets promoted to the EPL, they need to strengthen their squad in an attempt to stay up. They can afford to pay £10k a week while in the Premier League, the problem is, if they go down, players won't take a pay cut and this is causing huge financial problems for clubs.

When clubs sign players they have a difficult decision. If they give them a long contract, what happens if they get relegated ? How will they pay the wages. If they give them short contracts, they players, if the prove themselves can walk away on Bosmans.

It's an awful situation and has ruined football. Virtually every club in the EPL pays out most of their income in wages. Even Arsenal are reported as being over £100m in debt.

Real Madrid and Barcelona are an exception as they are effective sponsored by the local governments