FIFA Ballon D'or

Discuss and compare your favorite players
shahensha
Veteran Member

FIFA Ballon D'or

Post by shahensha » 06 Dec 2010, 17:23

So, the ballon d'or for the best player of the season is going to be awarded soon. The prestigious title will be given to one of three candidates: Messi, Xavi or Iniesta.

Its very fitting. Currently they are the best trio on the pitch. I really hope don andres wins it.

Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 06 Dec 2010, 17:34

Sneidjer not being on the shortlist shows what a fu**ing mockery that award has become.

He was instrumental in the treble winning team of Inter, the TREBLE for fu**'s sake, plus he carried an average Dutch team to the World Cup final.

Hope Messi wins it, but it's a fu**ing disgrace that Sneidjer doesn't have a place on that shortlist.

EDIT: Also no Ronaldo?!?!?! He's just become the fastest player in Real Madrid's history to reach 50 goals, and (apart from Messi) is heads and shoulders above every single player in the world.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 06 Dec 2010, 17:37

Not really??

Messi is obviously leagues ahead of everyone else on a technical level, but Xavi and Iniesta were the heart and engines for the team that won the world cup.

Most people would rather see their country win the world cup than their club win the treble, the world cup is a much harder thing to achieve.

Either way, for me Xavi is better than Snieder regardless, and Iniesta is arguably as good if not better also.

I think Messi will win it, but I would like to see Xavi win it.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 06 Dec 2010, 17:38

its prolly because mourinho said sneijder should win the award but after barca slapped him with the "manita", no one takes him seriously anymore haha

Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 06 Dec 2010, 17:47

klc123 wrote:Not really??

Messi is obviously leagues ahead of everyone else on a technical level, but Xavi and Iniesta were the heart and engines for the team that won the world cup.

Most people would rather see their country win the world cup than their club win the treble, the world cup is a much harder thing to achieve.

Either way, for me Xavi is better than Snieder regardless, and Iniesta is arguably as good if not better also.

I think Messi will win it, but I would like to see Xavi win it.
The award is based on the year year leading up the award though (Last season, start of this season). In that time, Ronaldo has over 50 goals for Madrid, in a new country, new environment - Does that not deserve a place up there? Not to mention his outstanding ability which is plain to see.

Yes, Xavi is better than Sneidjer and Iniesta is just as good, I agree. But like I said, the award is based off form in the last year and what the player has achieved, so does carrying his country to a World Cup Final and being instrumental in a treble winning team not enough??

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 06 Dec 2010, 17:59

Isnt winning the World Cup why Cannavaro won the award in 06? Otherwise, a defender is rarely given this award.

Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 06 Dec 2010, 18:01

Isnt winning the World Cup why Cannavaro won the award in 06? Otherwise, a defender is rarely given this award.
Pretty much.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 06 Dec 2010, 18:03

I would say Iniesta is a complete footballer.........except his finishing is not that great.......he only gets on the scoresheet on few occasions, but those occasions tend to be humongous, so I guess that can be overlooked.

As for Cronaldo, the battle for Ballon D'or is going to be between him and Messi next year. Both are firing away goals and getting ahead of their nearest rivals. The only difference is that Messi is leading away with assists too.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 06 Dec 2010, 18:10

Iniesta was injured big part of the previous season, but he had a terrific world cup...What if Capdevilla scored the goal in the final? Would he be up there too..? In spite of that, Iniesta is a crack, and had the best world cup out of the three for sure, but I don't think he'll take it..

Lio scored 47 goals last season, and this season has 23 already (it counts, why do you think Sneijder isn't there)... But he didn't have the best of the World Cup, though he could have gotten a few goals imo, a few posts, and a few good blocks by Enyeama vs Nigeria... Still vs Mexico and Germany he didn't play so good due to Maradona's awkward tactics.. So thats, the best season ever with club, and a decent World Cup...If he doesn't win this year, he'll win the next, and the next, and the next...

Xavi was great with Barcelona, and good with Spain, being the brain of both teams, and he moved the tempo of the game well.. I think its going to Xavi, because its probably one of his lasts oportunity to win it, since he's getting a bit old... and he is the heart of Barcelona and Spain---master of tiki-taka football, and just a magnificent footballer.

IMO

Xavi will win it
Leo will be second
Iniesta will be third

and Ronaldo, oh wait? never mind...
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 06 Dec 2010, 18:13

I would love it if Xavi wins. Finally a midfield maestro gets recognition over the glory hogging finishers.
panchester07 wrote:Iniesta was injured big part of the previous season,
Indeed, which is why Inter knocked Barca out and Mourinho didnt know how our beloved don ghost silently scares the hell out of opposition.

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Post by LiveTheDream » 06 Dec 2010, 21:42

Ronaldo had a pretty poor World Cup, which would exclude him from getting the award. Messi wasn't so bad (just didn't score), and has been fantastic on the domestic front, but I think Xavi or Iniesta will get it. Could they potentially both get it? Since they're a simply amazing double act?
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 07 Dec 2010, 03:04

apparently, this is the first time that the three finalists for the ballon d'or are from the same youth academy. amazing.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 07 Dec 2010, 10:41

Im not surprised at that at all.

I think they should just save the trouble of voting and just give the award to the Barcelona youth system and Johan Cruyff.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

Met

Post by Met » 07 Dec 2010, 19:15

I hope Xavi gets it, and then Ini next year and then Messi until he's 45. :D

Soon Fifa Ballon D'or will be renamed, La Masia Top Graduate.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 08 Dec 2010, 00:05

Xavi and Iniesta are all around better players than Ronaldo. The only thing they dont have is speed. They are technicaly just as good, they have way better awareness and pick out passes alot better. They work hard and ronaldo is just lazy. Ronaldo doesn't show up for big games so he shouldn't be a candidate. Messi will win it though