Should Maicon be questioned?

Discuss and compare your favorite players
AMacK7

Should Maicon be questioned?

Post by AMacK7 » 06 Nov 2010, 17:59

After Gareth Bale ran all over Inter two games in a row he was shut down by Bolton, and Gretar Steinsson. Now I would assume if Bale plays against them again again he is more successful but that doesn't explain why he ran all over Inter, especially Maicon in the second leg, in two games. Is Bale this good to embarrass Maicon or is Maicon slipping? He should have the same pace as Bale but looked bad at points. Or is it that he gets caught out of position and Bale exploited that? (seems funny though that other players don't do this more often if this is the case?)

Anyways, just wondering what you guys think? Personally I love seeing an up and coming young kid play like this so maybe I'm biased towards Bale? hahah

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 06 Nov 2010, 18:15

I dont watch the English league at all, but I was very impressed by his ability on and off the ball 2 years ago during a europa cup match. I did not know he was only 19 then though, which made his champions league performance against Inter a complete shocker.

I really dont think Maicon should be questioned though. Bale burned him with his stamina.

Met

Post by Met » 06 Nov 2010, 19:04

Nope, in the same way we shouldn't big up Bale. He won't play like that week in week out. Usually the best players save their best for certain occasions.

Maicon needed help. I just wonder why Zanetti didn't provide more cover. Bale isn't particularly skillful and you know he only wants to do one thing, knock the ball down the wing and look for Crouch or whoever is in the box. If Maicon went tight, he would be out run by Bale. If he stood of Bale, Bale built up ahead of steam and so can just run past really.

These things happen to the best of us, including professionals. Anyhow, the Inter camp isn't the nicest place to be at the mo.

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 06 Nov 2010, 23:20

More of the blame should be on rafa for not making a plan to stop bale. It's not like it was a surprise that they played through bale especially seeing as it was the second time around.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 07 Nov 2010, 00:25

Yes we should question Maicon and we should also be bigging up gareth bale.

Maicon is an awesome attacking force charging down the wing but as a defender, much like many others such as Dani Alves he is average at best at defending.

As for bale he has been turning out performances like this all season and also the last 4 or 5 months of last season. Many Tottenham fans single him out as one of the players who made impossible happen by finishing 4th last year.

To sum up Gareth Bale is a great player and he clearly bitched Maicon over the last two weeks.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

InterDeLaChance
Sophomore Member

Post by InterDeLaChance » 07 Nov 2010, 03:17

ScottyBoy wrote:Yes we should question Maicon and we should also be bigging up gareth bale.

Maicon is an awesome attacking force charging down the wing but as a defender, much like many others such as Dani Alves he is average at best at defending.

As for bale he has been turning out performances like this all season and also the last 4 or 5 months of last season. Many Tottenham fans single him out as one of the players who made impossible happen by finishing 4th last year.

To sum up Gareth Bale is a great player and he clearly bitched Maicon over the last two weeks.
Maicon is average at defense, not at best, just always. I don't think we should question Maicon yet though. That's a bit extreme.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 07 Nov 2010, 11:39

Met wrote:Nope, in the same way we shouldn't big up Bale. He won't play like that week in week out. Usually the best players save their best for certain occasions.
Exactly. We could argue that Bale is clutch, and knew he had to bring his absolute A-game against the Champs. League champs, and perhaps that Maicon underestimated him, or simply he/Inter had a bad game. In the same vein, it might be suggested that Bale had a bad game v. Bolton, or that Steinsson & co. simply knew that, as a lower table team, they had to pull out all the stops to beat Tottenham.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

terminator

Post by terminator » 07 Nov 2010, 12:28

nick117 wrote:More of the blame should be on rafa for not making a plan to stop bale. It's not like it was a surprise that they played through bale especially seeing as it was the second time around.
Yeah I agree with that. It was a tactical error and rafa should be blamed. They shouldn't have played such a high line with Bale having acres of space to run to given how fast and fit he is.

gascoigne67

Post by gascoigne67 » 08 Nov 2010, 00:58

InterDeLaChance wrote:
ScottyBoy wrote:Yes we should question Maicon and we should also be bigging up gareth bale.

Maicon is average at defense, not at best, just always. I don't think we should question Maicon yet though. That's a bit extreme.
Yeah alot had to do with tactics but Bale is quality and Maicon is overrated.

Johnson and even more so Alves and Maicon are wingers living in a fullbacks body.

Its great for fullbacks to attack but I think out of the three i mentioned Johnson is the best defender and that is saying alot.

Bale vs Johnson....or even worse vs Carra....scary prospects

InterDeLaChance
Sophomore Member

Post by InterDeLaChance » 08 Nov 2010, 15:17

gascoigne67 wrote:
InterDeLaChance wrote:

Yeah alot had to do with tactics but Bale is quality and Maicon is overrated.

Johnson and even more so Alves and Maicon are wingers living in a fullbacks body.

Its great for fullbacks to attack but I think out of the three i mentioned Johnson is the best defender and that is saying alot.

Bale vs Johnson....or even worse vs Carra....scary prospects
Ramos isn't exactly known for his defense either.. He just has Maicon and Alves around to make it seem like he is good.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 08 Nov 2010, 15:45

Actually, Ramos is a brilliant defender. I dont really trust his ability going forward. Granted, he had a great WC for spain as a right wing-back, but that was mostly because Spain didnt really have a right winger.

Ramos is a great player in the centre, on the wing he wastes too much time attacking....or trying to attack.

Alves is not as good on the defence as he is on the attack but he has amazing stamina. I have never seen him hunched over and tired. Infact, in catalan circles they call him "the road-runner" beep beep lol

InterDeLaChance
Sophomore Member

Post by InterDeLaChance » 08 Nov 2010, 17:14

shahensha wrote:Actually, Ramos is a brilliant defender. I dont really trust his ability going forward. Granted, he had a great WC for spain as a right wing-back, but that was mostly because Spain didnt really have a right winger.

Ramos is a great player in the centre, on the wing he wastes too much time attacking....or trying to attack.

Alves is not as good on the defence as he is on the attack but he has amazing stamina. I have never seen him hunched over and tired. Infact, in catalan circles they call him "the road-runner" beep beep lol
You're pretty biased dude. No offense.

gascoigne67

Post by gascoigne67 » 08 Nov 2010, 20:37

InterDeLaChance wrote:
shahensha wrote:Actually, Ramos is a brilliant defender. I dont really trust his ability going forward. Granted, he had a great WC for spain as a right wing-back, but that was mostly because Spain didnt really have a right winger.

Bias? Hes a Barca fan

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 08 Nov 2010, 21:23

I think Bale is one of those players who likes to save his best for the big games. He did a pretty good job against Chelsea towards the end of last season as I recall, right when Spurs were pushing for 4th....

Bale has improved over the last couple of seasons, but he needs to develop consistency if he is to progress. Unfortunately for him, 'inconsistency' is Harry Redknapp's middle name. Summer move to Old Trafford?

As for Maicon I think he is a terrific player but like many in Serie A one who struggles when pushed out of his comfort zone. Hardly a crisis for him though.

For what it's worth I think it says more about Benitez's ineptitude than the abilities of either player. Why Inter did not alter their strategy for dealing with Bale for the second game is beyond me as it clearly didn't work in the San Siro.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

InterDeLaChance
Sophomore Member

Post by InterDeLaChance » 09 Nov 2010, 05:11

gascoigne67 wrote:
InterDeLaChance wrote:

But he loves the spanish league. That's all
Bias? Hes a Barca fan