Official: Wayne Rooney wants to leave Manchester United

Discuss and compare your favorite players
Ward9310

Official: Wayne Rooney wants to leave Manchester United

Post by Ward9310 » 19 Oct 2010, 16:08

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 03,00.html
Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that Wayne Rooney has intimated to him that he wants to leave Manchester United.

He claims to have held a meeting with the talismanic frontman and his representative, during which the 24-year-old admitted that he has no intention of signing a new contract and is keen to take on a fresh challenge elsewhere.

Speculation had been mounting that Rooney could soon be on his way out of Old Trafford after seeing his relationship with his manager stretched to breaking point.

It is claimed that the England international feels frozen out at present, having been omitted from games he believes he was fit enough to play in - with United continuously claiming that he was nursing an ankle knock.

Rooney admitted as much after turning out for his country in a recent Euro 2012 qualifier against Montenegro, revealing that he had no idea as to why Ferguson continued to overlook him.

The United boss is said to have been incensed at seeing his authority undermined and has made little effort to interact with his star striker ever since.

That has fuelled rumours that Rooney could be on his way in the January transfer window, with Ferguson's decision to leave him on the bench for Saturday's Premier League meeting with West Brom only serving to fuel the fire.

The usual suspects have already been linked with a big-money approach in the New Year, with Real Madrid, Barcelona and Chelsea all reported to be waiting in the wings.

But it is local rivals Manchester City that have been installed as the early 9/4 favourites with Sky Bet to snap up the striker.
Bad news

Ferguson insists there has been no falling out between himself and Rooney, claiming the door is still open for him to stay, but acknowledges that a bidding war is now likely with the player making it clear that he intends to move on.

"David (Gill, chief executive) telephoned me and said he was on his way over because he had some bad news," Ferguson told MUTV.

"His agent said he wouldn't sign his contract and wanted away.

"Dealing with the next step was always going to be decisive for us, how we dealt with the situation.

"I asked to have a meeting with the boy and he reiterated what his agent said, that he wanted to go.

"The one thing I said to him was 'respect this club', I don't want any nonsense from you.

"I don't know if he has done that. I have doubts on that, we are reading all these things about falling out with me and all that nonsense.

"It's disappointing because we have done everything we possibly can to help Wayne Rooney ever since he came to the club.

Advice

"We have always been here as a harbour for him any time he has been in trouble, the advice we have given him, I was even prepared to give him financial advice.

"But it's not just Wayne Rooney, we have done that for all the players.

"Wayne has been the beneficiary of that, just as Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes have...so there has been no falling out.

"So there we are, we have got into a situation where we had to clarify this for our fans because what we saw on Saturday was unacceptable.

"When we got to 2-2 (against West Brom) and they were chanting Wayne Rooney, it's a pressure on the players and didn't do the team any good so we had to clarify the situation and put it right."

Ferguson added: "It was a shock. I couldn't believe it.

"In early discussions - in March I think - we had discussions with him, he intimated he wanted to stay, that he wanted a life contract with the club, that he was at the best club in the world. It was terribly disappointing to get the news.

"We couldn't understand it."

Offer

Ferguson insists no approach has been lodged for Rooney as yet and has sought to make it clear that the offer of a new contract remains on the table should the striker change his mind.

"There's no offer on the table as they are not prepared to listen to an offer but there's always an offer from Manchester United to negotiate with any player and that's still there," he said.

"I am disappointed, I can't believe it. When you manage Manchester United there is always something you have to deal with and we have had to deal with these situations before. It's not as easy as it was a few years ago.

"We are dealing with agents who are living in the pockets of players, it's a different world and we have to deal with it."
Can't believe this, after everything the club have done for him. We were there when he needed financial help, or help with his private life etc. And he throws it back into our face.

fu** you Wayne Rooney, I hope you never pull on a Manchester United shirt again, you don't deserve to, I hope you rot in the reserves and I hope your career goes to sh*t.

Also, I bet the c**t signs for City. You heard it here first.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 19 Oct 2010, 16:20

I'm glad to see him go, he's sh*t.

c**t should fu** off back to shitterpool.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 19 Oct 2010, 17:00

I honestly expected this. United treated him as sh*t until cr7 left then used him as their workhorse last season. He also probably realizes that Giggs and Scholes (plus VDS is basically done) are done, and United will be shortly as well. If you wanna keep your stars you gotta keep them happy (even if that sucks) and playing out of position, over-using, over-relying, benching, declining quality in squad, etc (all stuff he's gone through last few seasons) isn't keeping a star happy. I don't think it's a coincidence SAF seems to lose one of his star players ever year or so.

Not saying I'm happy about it but I'm not surprised.

It would be nice to see an English player outside of England (hopefully not Barca or Real Madrid)

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 19 Oct 2010, 17:06

If anything I think the opposite is true. Ferguson had faith in him even when Rooney was not as good at players like Ronaldo. And he has kept his faith in him by being patient with Rooney, regardless of how sh*t he has consistently played since may and his off the pitch accolades.

He is an ungrateful player that only plays for himself, the fact that he turned around to the club that made him and said this just shows his true colours in my opinion.

United lose a star every season? Name one besides Rooney and Ronaldo.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 19 Oct 2010, 18:27

1) Rooney had more to do with cr7's high numbers than cr7 did, scholes, giggs and him did the work cr7 hit the goal and got the glory.
2) He was bound to be great anywhere, SAF just put him on the squad to make him a star.
3) If anything he tries harder than every other player on the squad (except scholes and giggs maybe)

So...
Beckham 03
*Forlan 05 (you can say he wasn't the star which is true, but he did score 25 goals the season after he left and hasn't slowed since)
Ruud van Nistelrooy 06
Cr7 09
Tevez 09

If you want to be nit-picky you can blame me for not saying every few years or so but non the less those are all top players who left a Champion team that most players would die to play for, there has to be a reason for it. In Rooney's case it's probably because their situation looks like Liverpool's did a short while back.

Keep in mind I'm not saying it's a good thing, but it's how I see it.

Flyingmoose
Veteran Member

Post by Flyingmoose » 19 Oct 2010, 19:27

2brown347 wrote: So...
Beckham 03
*Forlan 05 (you can say he wasn't the star which is true, but he did score 25 goals the season after he left and hasn't slowed since)
Ruud van Nistelrooy 06
Cr7 09
Tevez 09
I think this constitutes a star leaving every year...I was thinking the same thing

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 19 Oct 2010, 22:08

I don't think either party is free of blame. When Rooney came to United, you kind of got the feeling it was to become the face of the club. He was supposed to be the central part of this club for years to come. Then C. Ronaldo came and Ferguson catered to him, even though you always kind of had the feeling that C.Ronaldo wasn't going to be at United forever (at least I felt that way. I never expected him to stay once he became the best player in the world and started attracting attention from Real.) Once C. Ronaldo left, things went back to the way they should have been, with Rooney as the main man. I think United asked him to do things that no other club would ask a top 10 player in the world to do, so I think some hard feelings go back to that. Rooney gave up some very productive years for the good of the team and now he gets dropped when he's going through a tough time (both on the field and off the field.) Ferguson should have let him play through his slump and been more supportive.
On the flip side though, Rooney should be more loyal to the club that turned him into a superstar and not be so quick to say that he wants to leave. United is the perfect club for him I feel and he's always been supported by United during his younger days when he didn't always make the best decisions.

If Rooney leaves, we need to get someone to replace him. Who'll be the face of the club? Nani? I don't think so. There's yells for Benzema again but I'm not sure. Perhaps though.

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 19 Oct 2010, 22:57

I'm not sure benzema can produce what united need which is 20-25 goals a year from a striker + what berbatov can produce i think the front 2 should be pulling in 40-50 goals a year for us to win the title. He is almost guaranteed to stay for this season though since he is cup tied.

styale18

Post by styale18 » 19 Oct 2010, 23:15

yes, mu helped form who he is today but hes won every freakin single trophy at least twice (except ucl and world club championship). Maybe theres no motivation to win anymore

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 20 Oct 2010, 02:27

that would be sad he should look at giggs and scholes who have fights with their trophy's because they have so damn many.

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Post by LiveTheDream » 20 Oct 2010, 04:37

I'm also of the opinion that Rooney is an ungrateful git. From what I know, I'd say he's running away (like he did Everton) because of the prostitutes thing. I'm not a fan of United (but I do enjoy watching them), and I think he's behaved like a little sh*t to them. After all they've done for him... Pretty pathetic really :roll:
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 20 Oct 2010, 06:30

Wayne Rooney and Alex Ferguson change their relationship status to It's complicated

Man City likes this

mint
EF Drug Baron

Post by mint » 20 Oct 2010, 15:42

I just wonder where he'll go when he does leave.
i was made to ignite

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 20 Oct 2010, 16:33

He's highly priced in the market isn't he? I heard 80 millions or so.... ?

Haha wanderer, good stuff!

Wayne Rooney is being gay right now.. I don't know how much for certain it is he's leaving, but, if he does he's being a puss....He hasn't been 100% in my opinion since last april when he fu**ed up his ankle vs bayern munchen in the last minute of the match.. then he forced his comeback and he's been having ankle problems since... I haven't seen him 100% or even 90% since then... But prior to that, he was getting goals every match, and bare in mind he scored 30 goals last season or so, all of them before april....

Ferguson is doing right in sitting him out in my opinion, he isn't playing well, and needs to get to his level again, playing him 20 minutes is wonderful, first its 20, then 30, then your playing 60 minutes but take it easy Wayne, you aren't playing well, dont expect to play 90 minutes in that form..

Last, maybe Ferguson should have a better comunication with his players, kind of like Mou does with his... Maybe some good comunication and understanding, would have prevented this problem...

Its mostly Wayne's fault though..for being so spoiled, and getting into so much trouble.. i don't really see him shinning else whre really... i don't see that spark in his eyes, or that fury to score and win that was characteristic of him.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

AMacK7

Post by AMacK7 » 20 Oct 2010, 17:19

Just as panchester said I too don't see him shining anywhere else. This seems to be a trend in football. Unlike many other top athletes footballers can't seem to keep it together for more than three, four maybe five years. Examples are: Ronaldinho, best player in the world in 04 and 05. You can say from 04 (maybe 2003) until 2006 or so that he was the best or very close to. Ronaldo (Brazil) 1996-2002 he was the best. Recently Kaka, world player of the year in 2007, dropped to fourth in voting the next year and likely further this year. When you look at Amercian football Manning he has been in the probowl every year except 2001 for the last ten years, Brett Favre is similar, but longer. In Hockey, Mario Lemieux got 100 points every year for twelve years unless he was injured or out (the only two years he didn't he played like 30 games). Kobe has averaged 20 points a game basically since 1999. It just seems soccer players burn out quickly for one reason or another. This could be Rooneys