Paul Scholes

Discuss and compare your favorite players
Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 17 Aug 2010, 20:17

Will Xavi be consistently be playing at the highest level and with the same ability as Scholes when he is 35 though? I don't think he will - Just my opinion though.

And seriously, anyone who would take a 23 year old Fabregas over a 23 year old Scholes is seriously deluded.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 17 Aug 2010, 20:25

I certainly think Xavi will be playing by then, only marginally worse than he is now.

I agree with the Scholes over Fab. thing, though.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 17 Aug 2010, 20:45

Scholes was able to play consistently for his club despite his old age because he gave up on the English national team a long while ago. I wonder if the English resent him for this decision because it would be like xavi saying "i dont want to play for spain anymore". I am sure he would have excelled under Capello and done better than his teammates in the recent WC though.

I too agree about the comparisons to fabregas and oezil. Fabregas is good enough to shine his shoes, whereas we dont know if oezil is even fit enough to tie them.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 17 Aug 2010, 22:01

Playing the few extra games a year being an international requires isn't enough to ruin a player unless they're unlucky enough to pick up a terrible injury. Look at Maldini, he did 14 years of international duty and played (and played damn well) until he was 40. Some players have it and are able to keep it for a long time, some have it and can't keep it, most never have it at all.

gascoigne67

Post by gascoigne67 » 18 Aug 2010, 06:02

Ward9310 wrote:Gerrard was never, and will never be as good as Scholes in his prime.
Umm yes he will, and he is.

As for your deluded comment about people who think Fab is better than Scholes, they arent deluded, just realistic.

Xavi and Scholes are equal, Fabregas is better and so is Gerrard.

Switch Gerrard and Scholes for the past 10 years lets say.

Liverpool still would not have won any titles, Man Utd wouldve won all the titles they have now. Except Liverpool wouldnt have won the CL in 05 :P .

Scholes cannot do what stevie can, and Fab has been world class for years and he is 23.

Not deluded, but sane :P ily

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 18 Aug 2010, 06:29

lol since we are speaking of being delusional, xavi and scholes arent equal. Currently xavi is the best centre-midfielder. He knows how to pass the ball and control a game. He doesnt shoot much, whereas Scholes always makes textbook shots from outside the box. On the other hand, xavi can win the ball in the midfield but scholes is infamous for being a bad tackler.

As for fabregas being better, I wouldnt say so with regards to the present. Any coach would choose xavi over fabregas. Dont get me wrong, fabregas has the potential to be better considering he is the main player of a top class team at such a young age, just not right now.

Dont know about the turn of the century but xavi had to contend with --then, a world class player-- Deco up till late in the recent decade. No one started noticing his tactical genius until he was the heart-beat of the spanish team in the Euro and then for Barca afterwards.

Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 18 Aug 2010, 10:22

Gerrard can't do half of the things that Scholes can. Just because he shone in a shite Liverpool team in '05 doesn't mean he was better than Scholes who was surrounded by class players (in his prime).

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 18 Aug 2010, 17:05

Sorry Gascoigne, but Xavi is way better than Fabregas in the present. Yes they are similar, yes both are great, but theres a reason Fabregas was in the bench, while Xavi was playing in the World Cup. Xavi is a better "brain" than Cesc as we speak, but in the future Cesc will surpass him(obviously due to age). I don't know if you can compare prime to prime who will be better(cesc's prime in a few years, vs xavi's prime now), bare in mind Xavi has won it all, ucl, eurocup, worldcup, league, cup, everything, and he has been key in it all.

Scholes is so much different. To these two.

The only deluded comment was the one saying Ozil better than Scholes. The rest are mostly opinion and don't have one real answer. Most would agree Xavi is better than Cesc, and Scholes is just, i don't know hard to compare. Good passer, good creator, manages well the midfield, but totally different style of midfielder.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 18 Aug 2010, 19:51

I just got back from turkey and only just found out that Ozil is signed for Real.

Ferguson pisses me off, I can see manchester dropping out of the top 2 this season.

gascoigne67

Post by gascoigne67 » 18 Aug 2010, 22:15

panchester07 wrote:Sorry Gascoigne, but Xavi is way better than Fabregas in the present. Yes they are similar, yes both are great, but theres a reason Fabregas was in the bench, while Xavi was playing in the World Cup. Xavi is a better "brain" than Cesc as we speak, but in the future Cesc will surpass him(obviously due to age). I don't know if you can compare prime to prime who will be better(cesc's prime in a few years, vs xavi's prime now), bare in mind Xavi has won it all, ucl, eurocup, worldcup, league, cup, everything, and he has been key in it all.

Scholes is so much different. To these two.

The only deluded comment was the one saying Ozil better than Scholes. The rest are mostly opinion and don't have one real answer. Most would agree Xavi is better than Cesc, and Scholes is just, i don't know hard to compare. Good passer, good creator, manages well the midfield, but totally different style of midfielder.
I suppose you have a point about Xavi, although once again he is surrounded by a team who have played with each other for years. A slower and less physical league.

Would love to see him chuck on an Arsenal jersey honestly, and see how he fares.

Give me the run down of why Scholes is better than Gerrard, Ward. Infact give me three valid pints and i will admit it haha :wink:

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 18 Aug 2010, 22:44

Give me the run down of why Scholes is better than Gerrard, Ward. Infact give me three valid pints and i will admit it haha
Give me the run down of why Gerrards is better than Scholes, Ward. Infact give me three valid pints and i will admit it haha

It's all opinion. In many people's opinion Scholes is the main reason Man U's been able to do what they've accomplished in recent years (despite never being the "star" of the team). Some people think the Gerrard is the reason Liverpool have accomplished so much in rece.... I mean why Liverpool has remained a contender to some respect.

gascoigne67

Post by gascoigne67 » 18 Aug 2010, 22:48

yeah man its totally opinion.

Im getting this feeling that this thread is about Paul Scholes being able to mop the floor with the worlds greatest, which i think is delusional.

No offence Ward haha, I would like to battle your opinions on the forum :D :D

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 18 Aug 2010, 22:53

gascoigne67 wrote:yeah man its totally opinion.

Im getting this feeling that this thread is about Paul Scholes being able to mop the floor with the worlds greatest, which i think is delusional.

No offence Ward haha, I would like to battle your opinions on the forum :D :D
It's a thread about Paul Scholes so if people think he can mop the floor with the worlds greatest than they can say it here and it is far from delusional. He isn't the type of player who is gonna be a "superstar" but he's been winning the biggest trophy's in Europe for over a decade and hasn't slowed down at 35 despite almost ever other (with a few exceptions) player he started with falling by the wayside, even the ones who were considered to be "the worlds greatest" at one time or another.

Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 19 Aug 2010, 10:14

Give me the run down of why Scholes is better than Gerrard, Ward. Infact give me three valid pints and i will admit it haha
1. Better passer, short and long, of the football
2. Better at reading the play and creating opportunities for his team.
3. Better composure on the ball in difficult situations.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 19 Aug 2010, 12:18

Scholes wasn't pure shite when he put on a England shirt either, like Gerrard is.