Messi vs Robben

Discuss and compare your favorite players
collin
Veteran Member

Messi vs Robben

Post by collin » 01 Jul 2010, 03:23

can someone please tell me the difference between these two? they are both left footed and they are both amazing at running with the ball. robben plays similar to messi but i actually think robben might be faster with the ball than messi. robben has that close control at a sprint speed also. the only difference i see is that messi uses feints and robben is a master at cuts

what do you guys think?

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 01 Jul 2010, 03:31

IMO the only reason Robben isn't often considered "one of the best" when people talk about Messi, cr7, Xavi, etc is because he's had so many injury problems. On his day he's the best player in the world, but he lacks the consistency other players have.

I agree with you about their dribbling. They both have that control that makes it look effortless and makes stabbing easy for defenders. When you watch them run with the ball you wonder why a defender doesn't just stick his foot out and take the ball, until you see a defender try.

They both make their goals look easy aswell. Even though they both have power they both score from distance with pure placement dominance.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 01 Jul 2010, 15:25

yeah man i love watching them both but i think that Robben is a master of the inside of the foot cut, but lionel messi is a master of the outside of the foot cut. do you agree? also do you think robben is faster than messi?

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 02 Jul 2010, 00:34

I agree with Robben favoring inside cuts and Messi outside cuts. It's tough to say who's faster though. For me it's something more that makes them special. I think it's that they're both kinda no bulls**t players. They don't try fancy tricks or anything. They both have great touch, great control while running at full speed, and it almost seems like they know exactly what ever other player on the field is doing to do sometimes. If you watch both this clips almost every player they beat is simply perfect touches and cuts mixed with changes in pace. No kicking the ball far ahead and having a footrace, no overused tricks, no need to use physical strength to beat players. I'd say it's a knowledge of the game some players lack. They know when to use tricks (since they both have them), when to pass, when to take a shot, when to carry the ball, etc.

Robben http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00EOL8YlboE
Messi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptgfywO4JK4

ImpossibleIsNothing6

Post by ImpossibleIsNothing6 » 03 Jul 2010, 05:32

Messi is undoubtly better, 95% of people would say Leo', and I bet more than half couldn't explain why they chose him, or just say "Because it's MESSI". But Brown has just said pretty much exactly why, nice :)

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 03 Jul 2010, 10:14

Two reasons why Messi is better
2brown347 wrote:I think it's that they're both kinda no bulls**t players
Robben is the second biggest ladyboy in the game, Messi is no bulls**t, but Bob dives, Screams and exaggerates when he is fouled like a fu**ing... Portugese number 7
2brown347 wrote:no need to use physical strength to beat players
Robben doesn't really, if he is shoved to much he falls, but Messi's huge advantage is that his low sense of gravity and incredible strenght for his size makes it impossible to tackle him because he can so effectively hold you off, while doing all that crazy sh*t with the ball