Pele vs Maradona

Discuss and compare your favorite players
ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 05 Jun 2010, 16:52

Pele played without boots. If its good enough for him its good enough for me!

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 05 Jun 2010, 17:24

Also Pele scored over 1000 goals because he kept up a just under 1 goal a game average over 1000 games.

buzz
New User

Pele Versus Maradona

Post by buzz » 13 Jun 2010, 06:06

Pele is definitely the best skill wise and was excellent at everything so Pele is the undoubtly the greatest ever player but Maradona was great only when he had his super hero cape on so that when he was hot he became a one man show.

Pele was skilled and most talented in everyway in could use both feet and all parts of his body, skilled passer and he was more a team player. He was athletic, quick , strong and a goal scoring machine. It was a different era because there was no red cards or yellow cards so he got knocked up and Santos/Brazil was the greatest team at the time beating the European leagues with ease.

Maradona was an quick on his feet and was an excellent ball handler but he couldn't use both feet and did not use his head often but he was more of a freakish type player so he was hot and cold but when he was hot he was unstoppable. When he was unstoppable he was a one man machine.

So you are comparing Pele who was perfect in every way in skill and talent and no flaws in his game versus Maradonna who didn't have as much skill as Pele and was incosistent but when he was hot he could take over games.

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 14 Jun 2010, 08:02

I actaully take back my initial opinion. I believe Johan Cruyff is the greatest ever.

He had skill like the others. He played several positions. Scored goals. He was just a smarter player. He played the game like it should be played, in a simple manner yet making it look extremely hard.

I may elaborate on this later if anyone disagrees.

But yeah, Cruyff than Mara than Pele

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 28 Jun 2010, 09:52

Pele and Maradona, If I had a choice to watch either play I would probably choose Maradona but like said earlier they are both amazing and can't really be compared because the game constantly is improving, therefore the opposition for Pele may have been easier than Maradona?

In 50 years time I think Messi will be umong the greatest ever though and probably the best ever so far.

Also didn't Pele say George Best was better than him?

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 28 Jun 2010, 16:35

P793, In Pele's day, you could break some ones leg and only get a Yellow for it. Punching someone wouldn't even get a card a lot of the time :lol:

Pele also played on much worse pitches, with much worse balls and boots.

The point I am making is that it is impossible to compare players from such different eras.

And to be honest, even if they played at the same time, I don't think it would be fair to compare such great players, I think it gets to a point where a player is so special and is so good, that it doesn't even matter if anyone is better than them or not, because they are all just a complete joy to watch, in unique and different ways.

I think Messi and Ronaldo will go down in the list of the greatest in years to come.

For me, Best, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Basten, Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Banks, Del Piero...The list goes on and on. All of them players are so brilliant, I don't see the need to call one better than the other, because I think everyone can say, they love to watch them players.

Ronaldinho is the most magical player for me though, and is one of the main reasons I support Barcelona.

And yes, Pele says that George Best was the greatest talent of all time, above himself and Maradona. Best replied saying that it was the ultimate salutation to his life that Pele thought he was the best.

Pichichi

Post by Pichichi » 28 Jun 2010, 16:54

Zico!

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 28 Jun 2010, 16:56

Pichichi wrote:Zico!
Hugo Sanchez.... The greatest striker of all time!!!!!!
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 28 Jun 2010, 19:38

Sorry, how could I forget Zico lol. Rivaldo too.