Henry to MLS?

Discuss and compare your favorite players
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Henry to MLS?

Post by Rome_Leader » 15 May 2010, 14:49

"As reported by Sport, Barcelona striker and French goalscoring legend Thierry Henry has signed a pre-contract agreement that will see him move to the United States' Major League Soccer to play with the New York Red Bulls after the World Cup."

FFS. He will almost certainly light up the MLS, but is this a sign his career is in its death throes?

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/maj ... t-with-mls

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

bsc
Veteran Member

Post by bsc » 15 May 2010, 15:17

Robert Pires is also in talks with Philadelphia Union. It looks extremely likely he will sign.

Lets get all of the invincibles over here!
Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 15 May 2010, 21:18

all i have to say is, finally. Worst kept secret. I'm excited to see him here. The Red Bulls are going to be unstoppable with Henry and Angel up top.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 15 May 2010, 22:22

It's really his best option, he can:
1) Stay at Barca and on the bench for a couple years until he retires
2) Move to a small European club where he'll slowly leave the spotlight, and/or have to hear about how he's not what he was at 25 every week.
or come to MLS where the fan base won't be as large but amoungst them he'll be a hero.

All I got to say I Portland better buy some quality players before their leap to MLS next year.

a_twig

Post by a_twig » 17 May 2010, 01:15

Great news for the Red Bulls, not so great news for Henry. He'll be lucky to survive his first New York winter. When he gets his France national team call-ups in '10-11, he'll be sent back to France to thaw out. :lol:

On a serious note, that is great news for the Red Bulls. It's probably the biggest transfer in the history of American soccer since Pele joined the NY Cosmos. It might convince me to watch some Red Bull games, as lately I've been ignoring them and trying to break any ties with them despite the fact that they're my regional team. Still, I would've much rather seen them train American talent to the professional level than to bring in that legendary handballer. Now I'm caught between my regional team and my favored international team, Ireland. :?

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 27 May 2010, 23:20

a_twig wrote:It's probably the biggest transfer in the history of American soccer since Pele joined the NY Cosmos.
Beckham's move drew a lot more attention than this one.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 27 May 2010, 23:47

Nat_H wrote:
a_twig wrote:It's probably the biggest transfer in the history of American soccer since Pele joined the NY Cosmos.
Maybe so, but definitely biggest in terms of impact. I fully expect him to do more than Beckham did, and play with more passion.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 28 May 2010, 17:41

Rome_Leader wrote:
Nat_H wrote:
Maybe so, but definitely biggest in terms of impact. I fully expect him to do more than Beckham did, and play with more passion.
I'm not even sure about that. Not many Americans know who Thierry Henry is. He was a big name in the soccer world what, 5-6 years ago? Now, not many recently getting caught up in the MLS-hype (due to Beckham's arrival) would recognize him as a former-elite.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 28 May 2010, 17:52

Imo he went to Barcelona after being literally unstoppable with Arsenal, and became an average player. He doesn't have it anymore, he wont do much with France, and wont do much in the MLS, he's not that player he was in 2005-2006 with Arsenal that could beat three men with his pace, and then place it in the corner, 3 times per game. He was key in that league that Arsenal went without loosing the whole season, and he was key in getting Arsenal to the final vs Barcelona in 06. Remember his goal vs Real Madrid in which he beat the whole defense himself? Later Remember his goals vs Bayern Munchen, one of them with the outside of his foot from outside of the box that took a massive curve. That Henry is gone, forever.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 28 May 2010, 20:02

on another note frank lampard has just said when his current contract is up that he would like to play in the mls.
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/maj ... ove-to-mls

even when lampard is 34 he would be great in the mls because he dosen't rely on his speed.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 28 May 2010, 20:44

That's true panchester, but he thats due to age. All players eventually loose it and players like Henry who rely a lot of speed tend to loose it sooner. Either way he doesn't need to be that Henry to do well in MLS, he's still a good player even in Europe so he'll do fine here.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 29 May 2010, 09:00

Nat_H wrote:
Rome_Leader wrote:
Nat_H wrote: Beckham's move drew a lot more attention than this one.
I'm not even sure about that. Not many Americans know who Thierry Henry is. He was a big name in the soccer world what, 5-6 years ago? Now, not many recently getting caught up in the MLS-hype (due to Beckham's arrival) would recognize him as a former-elite.
He was a massive 5 years ago, still huge only three years ago... And infamous last year cause of the handball versus Ireland

I'm pretty sure the americans will recognise him

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 29 May 2010, 15:40

Nat_H wrote:
Rome_Leader wrote:
Nat_H wrote: Beckham's move drew a lot more attention than this one.
I don't know if its still true but I remember him saying in an interview that he loves NY because no one recognizes him. He can walk down the street or have a nice dinner and not be hounded by people. Theo Walcott said the same thing.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 30 May 2010, 17:40

NBP wrote:I'm pretty sure the americans will recognise him
arsenalfc08 wrote:I remember him saying in an interview that he loves NY because no one recognizes him.
Makes sh*t of my theory :D