The Best Player In The World

Discuss and compare your favorite players
gascoigne67

Post by gascoigne67 » 30 Aug 2010, 07:06

Haha ok man. I think Torres is the best striker in world football though. Even now hes coming back from a tough 18 months, and popped in a beauty vs WBA.

Hes got it all, the only other striker id think would contend would be Rooney.

Yeah its all about opinions. Evans going to say Villa, Ward is going to say Rooney, Rath will probably say Shoala Ameobi. I say Torres. The man has everything a striker needs.

Gerrard though, on his day, is the best player in the world. I stand by that comment as well.

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 30 Aug 2010, 07:45

Torres would be a huge stretch he's a good finisher but that's about all that's special about him. Players like drogba rooney higuain score more than he does keep themselfs healthy and assist quite a bit.

gascoigne67

Post by gascoigne67 » 30 Aug 2010, 09:59

nick117 wrote:Torres would be a huge stretch he's a good finisher but that's about all that's special about him. Players like drogba rooney higuain score more than he does keep themselfs healthy and assist quite a bit.
Again though, who do they play for? Clubs with players of world class calibre. Liverpool has Stevie G, thats all Torres has, and he still kicks ass in every Man U-Liverpool match he virtually plays in.

He is injured a bit more than the others. But is he not faster than the others? Id say he is better in the air than all of them too. Doesnt sook and bitch (unlike drogba) decent discipline (unlike the roonsta).

I would love to see Torres play for Chelsea, Man U and Real just once you know, he might even score more than 3 quality goals who knows haha

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 30 Aug 2010, 12:24

I agree with gascoigne, in many respects I think Torres hindered his career by joining Liverpool. You lose confidence after so many trophy-less seasons, and his injury and drop in fitness is also having a massive impact on his game.

I always said from the beginning, that if Torres joined Chelsea, Manchester United, Barcelona or Real Madrid, he would be massive.

In many ways, I think he has some aspects in his game that Villa doesn't, but I wouldn't go as far to say he is better than Villa, most certainly not at the moment.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 30 Aug 2010, 18:32

I don't think he'd be any different if he was at those other clubs. Liverpool only started to lose quality last season with Alonso's exit. He's top quality but you shouldn't let bias's overshadow everything else. If anything his lack to get the starting spot for Spain even in '08 shows he isn't the best.

Also to say he's better in the air than the other players I mentioned is really ill informed.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 30 Aug 2010, 20:12

I don't think torres "lost confidence after so many trophyless seasons", having in mind he played in Atletico de Madrid, and didn't win sh*t over there either!

He never scored more than 20 goals per season with atleti, had his best season with liverpool in the 07/08 season.... I thought the move the Liverpool did him well, but yeah i think the injuries have ruined his progress
Last edited by panchester07 on 30 Aug 2010, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 30 Aug 2010, 20:32

I know what you mean Panch, but I suppose it is different when you are playing for the team you grew up with?

The injury really didn't do him good, I really hope to see him regain his fitness because he doesn't look a shade of the striker he was when he first joined the prem.

Liverpool didn't suddenly go down hill just because Alonso left, this is something that has gradually been happening for seasons, admittedly the biggest drops happening in the last season or two.

And I don't think Torres is better in the air than Drogba. Personally I think Drogba is one of the best players in the world in the air given he is not incredibly tall. He often plays a centre forward role with his back to centre backs and wins aerial challenges for fun, I'm not saying Torres doesn't do this, but I haven't seen him, or many other players, do it as well as Drogba.

gascoigne67

Post by gascoigne67 » 30 Aug 2010, 21:59

2brown347 wrote:I don't think he'd be any different if he was at those other clubs. Liverpool only started to lose quality last season with Alonso's exit. He's top quality but you shouldn't let bias's overshadow everything else. If anything his lack to get the starting spot for Spain even in '08 shows he isn't the best.

Also to say he's better in the air than the other players I mentioned is really ill informed.
Alonso did screw us around a bit. Thats the only reason Gerrard could play in the hole. He is a centre midfielder, but with Alonso had balls flowing to him all day to give to torres. No one can do that now.

Torres is very very good in the air. Drogba does brilliant things but i still think Torres is better when they hit form. Rooney however maybe better than Torres at peak form.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 31 Aug 2010, 00:51

Well European Sports Magazine and Adidas are presenting the awards for best goalscorers in Europe last season

The award is based on a point system taking the goal tally in the league only and multiplying it by 2.

1. Messi : 68 points (34)
2. Drogba : 58 points (29)
2. Di Natale: 58 points (29)
4. Higuain: 54 points (27)

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 31 Aug 2010, 01:00

I agree with the results but I don't get the point in multiplying by 2 since its the same either way :lol:

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 31 Aug 2010, 01:03

That's a pretty unfair judgement if you ask me...
It would be more accurate if they done a thing where they divided playing time by goals, like champions league magazine done for the champions league...

I cannot remember the exact figures, but I was quite shocked by them. If you go by goals per time playing the results were in order.

Ronaldo
Rooney
Messi
Bentner, lol
Milito

Ronaldo was miles ahead of Rooney, and the rest were all pretty close together. I was shocked by this to be honest, I thought Messi would top it by a large margin.

Edit:

If anyone can find something like that for the leagues last year that would be interesting to see. Champions Magazine rated Ronaldo as the best goalscorer in Champions league but it would still be interesting to compare the leagues.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 31 Aug 2010, 02:11

2brown347 wrote:I agree with the results but I don't get the point in multiplying by 2 since its the same either way :lol:

it depends on the league. some of the less popular leagues that are easier to score in only multiply the goals tally by 1.5, and other leagues by 1. (thats why suarez wasn't top)