Stephen Hunt

Discuss and compare your favorite players
a_twig

Stephen Hunt

Post by a_twig » 15 Mar 2010, 16:25

He may not be a superstar, but Stephen Hunt is one incredible footballer, in my opinion. Even with a significant height disadvantage, he still manages to be a very competitive player in one of the most physical leagues on the planet. He's got two skillful feet, exceptional at tricking defenders and taking great free kicks and corner kicks. When he used to play for Reading in 2007, he played a huge part in the 3-1 win against Liverpool, along with his countryman Kevin Doyle who also scored that match. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGBCq2Ps ... re=related

Let's give Hunt some credit here for something besides the incident with Petr Cech. I'd honestly say that he's the third most outstanding Irish player in the EPL at the present, behind Robbie Keane and of course Shay Given.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 15 Mar 2010, 17:32

While it may be that he has an eye for goal, I have always said, even before his run in with Cech, that he was a goon. I maintain that today. That style of play may work for him, and it may be a case of hitting guys first rather than sitting back and waiting to be hit at his size, but it doesn't sit well with me. Never have liked him.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 15 Mar 2010, 21:07

I'm actually with Rome on this one, and there are other Irish players I'd say are better. He's a goon, he might get the job done, but a goon none the less.

And I still blame every goal Cech lets in on him. :?

bsc
Veteran Member

Post by bsc » 15 Mar 2010, 22:24

He confuses me a bit. I've described him before as rubbish, but damned effective.
I'm not sure if there's a better way to say it, but it's true! He knows what he needs to do to give his team a better chance of winning, and does it. He's a nifty finisher, but I wouldn't call him skillful.
Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 15 Mar 2010, 22:53

I actually like him. He plays his heart out and is tenacious. He might be a goon (good word btw :P :) ), but he plays with passion and seems like a very determined individual.

btw Robbie Keane technically isn't in the EPL right now.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 16 Mar 2010, 00:55

2brown347 wrote:I'm actually with Rome on this one, and there are other Irish players I'd say are better. He's a goon, he might get the job done, but a goon none the less.

And I still blame every goal Cech lets in on him. :?
There's an interesting one! I think I will do the same. :O :P

s11, I respect heart more than anyone, but there are other ways to play with passion. I love Rooney's passion. Plays every possession balls out, and never gives up. He's never had to bust anyone's skull. Arshavin and Messi are both devilishly hard workers, but stick to the straight and narrow.

All roads lead to Rome.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 16 Mar 2010, 01:04

I like his brother Mike better...

Just kidding haha.... He is very technical, very skillfull, but then again, who isn't in the EPL?
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

a_twig

Post by a_twig » 18 Apr 2010, 02:37

He's a nifty finisher, but I wouldn't call him skillful.
I'm remembered watching him meg someone on Man City (I think) as I read this. :)
I'd say he's pretty skillful, but he has to be more physical especially since he's at a disadvantage (being short and not so well built). It's not every match that he shows skill, sometimes I'm wondering if it's him I'm watching, or his little brother Noel, but when he does show us all his skill, it has a pretty big "woah" effect. As you said though, it's often just drawing fouls, or trying to get a bit of distance, or trying to play aggressively. You do have a point that he plays very aggressively, and that it has consequences, but that's just how he plays with Hull, who have almost all physical players (Altidore, VoH, Mendy, Boateng, and Fagan).

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 18 Apr 2010, 14:44

He does play in a physical team, but don't be disillusioned... He's played that way his entire career, with every club he's been with.

All roads lead to Rome.