Players to Watch

Discuss and compare your favorite players
nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 07 Jan 2010, 03:18

[/quote]

But Fabregas plays in England, that's what they do.[/quote]
This is a good point you do have to adapt to the style that the players around you use theres no point in going against the current.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 07 Jan 2010, 03:23

my point is, just because xavi doesnt launch as many long balls as fabregas doesnt mean the quality of his long balls take a backseat to fabregas'

INTER1908
Veteran Member

Post by INTER1908 » 07 Jan 2010, 05:28

Fair enough. But since he is doing it more I would say his are more accurate and if not more accurate then maybe better thought out.

And you are kind of biased towards Xavi so this argument is kind of mute anyways.
Made by 2Brown.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 07 Jan 2010, 11:11

Thats the thing. I am pointing towards quality, and you are still looking at quantity. There is a difference.

Also I provided reasoning and examples as to why I think he is more accurate with his long passes. I didnt just blindly say "no xavi is the best" like a biased fan would. However if people are going to disregard my views on the basis of me being a fan of the player/team and come up with that rebuttal then it all becomes pointless to continue I guess.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 07 Jan 2010, 16:38

Looking at highlights from both players, i think that Fabregas is alot better technically at putting long balls through...He seems atleast as good as spotting passes as Xavi but his actual execution seems to be alot better as he always seems to get the perfect weight and spin on the ball.

Im not saying Xavi isn't a good long passer, but i am saying i feel Fabregas is better.

In terms of throwing the ball away, i don't think Fabregas ever "throws the ball away" 99% of his long passes are good and perfectly accurate its just a matter of the defenses in england been better and harder to beat to the ball for the attacking player.

Xavi on the otherhand plays for Barcelona whos ethos is to keep the ball, so obviously he is going to be more defensive than fabregas, you have to remember that its very easy to keep the ball when your doing short passes between players less than 20 yards away but once you start trying to hit aggressive balls to try and beat the defense there is a hell of a lot less room for error.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 07 Jan 2010, 16:55

Fabregas has better technique, Xavi has a better brain.

FuturProo1996
Sophomore Member

Post by FuturProo1996 » 08 Jan 2010, 04:55

I LIKE FABERGASS BUT I LIKE XAVI'S TEAM BECAUSE BARCELOAN ARE BETTER :)

Kasaki
Veteran Member

Post by Kasaki » 08 Jan 2010, 20:01

Xavi had the better team , and the way barcelona plays makes him look brilliant lol , where as fabregras is the focal point of arsenal everythin goes through him, unlike xavi where play goes through him, messi, and iniesta. Fabregras is better, would wonder what he would be like playing tack-tack or barcelona style football (i think it's called that)

mustahfa14

Post by mustahfa14 » 08 Jan 2010, 21:01

It's not easy to play the style barcelona does guys. It takes a lot of technical ability, confidence, and vision. It doesn't make him seem better than he is. Cesc is not at xavi's level yet. Fabregas is definately one of the best, but xavi still has that extra bit of quality/reliabilty. Fabregas still gives the ball away too much. He actually doesnt give it a whole lot at all lol, its just compared to xavi.

They are both on my two favorite teams..so im not biased. The scary thing though is how Fabregas is almost at xavi's level..and he is only 22/23? something like that. So we will see

mr_dude

Post by mr_dude » 26 Jan 2010, 19:54

Thought of another one.
Last ditch tackles: Puyol. The number of times in any one game that this guy blocks a shot, pass, or cross is unbelievable.
"A match isn't lost until after it's over." Me
"The greatest glory in life lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandella

mr_dude

Post by mr_dude » 18 Mar 2010, 00:43

I'm trying this again. Before we start naming players, what else should I add to the list? It was all off the top of my head, so a feel like I'm missing a lot of things.
Attack:

-Off the Ball:
- Positioning (to receive passes):
- Positioning (to free up space):
- Positioning (to make scoring chances):
-Shooting:
-Finishing:
-Smashing From Inside the Box:
-Outside the Box:
-Really Far Out:
-Penalties:
-Free Kicks:
-Inside Foot Curler:
-Chipped:
-Driven:
-Knuckle:
-“Sweep”:
-Passing:
-Ground Through:
-Lofted Through:
-Long:
-Cross:
-One Touch:
-First Touch:
-To Control Long Ball:
-To Set Up a Shot:
-To Beat a Player:
-Dribbling:
-Control at Low Speed:
-Control at Medium Speed:
-Control at High Speed:
-Shielding While Standing:
-Shielding While Running:
-Stepover:
-Fake Kick:
-Elastico:
-Body Feints:
-Use of Physical Attributes:
-Speed:
-Strength:
-Height:
-Acceleration:

Defense:

-Tackling:
-Standing Tackle:
-Slide Tackle:
-Shoulder Push:
-Professional Foul:
-Shot/Cross Blocking:
-Pass Interception:
Jockeying:
-Forward’s Back to Goal:
-Preventing a Shot:
-Preventing a Cross:
-Preventing a Pass:
-2v1:
-Marking:
-Set Pieces:
-Open Play:

Goalkeeping:

-Shot Blocking:
-High Saves:
-Low Saves:
-Other Side of the Goal Saves:
-Distribution:
-Throws:
-Drop Kicks:
-Goal Kicks:

Other:

-Throw Ins:
-Mind Games:
-Quick Free Kicks:
"A match isn't lost until after it's over." Me
"The greatest glory in life lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandella

a_twig

Post by a_twig » 18 Mar 2010, 03:08

De Jong has shown some skill at closing down attacks, but he doesn't link with the front line much, if at all. He isolates himself from the attack, I think.

Rooney has performed well in scoring goals, but he's so direct about it that he probably looses goals for United by not seeing them. When he has the ball, Rooney will either pass the ball directly into the box or try to push into the box himself. He's good at what he does, but he wastes so many chances in the process. Imagine all the goals he could make possible for United if he looked 90 degrees to his right or left before trying to go directly into the box.

Last but not least, Kevin Doyle has been scaring defenders from ManU and Chelsea with his runs. He can start as far back as the midfield line, and run not too quickly down the field to make a play. Notice that he doesn't hit his top speed, but instead maintains control of body and ball, meaning that the defenders have to back off or be beaten. Sometimes, the defenders back off so much that Doyle can even get a shot off. Very interesting, and encouraging for us Ireland fans.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 18 Mar 2010, 05:07

FuturProo1996 wrote:I LIKE FABERGASS BUT I LIKE XAVI'S TEAM BECAUSE BARCELOAN ARE BETTER :)

Edin Dzeko is doing really well, bringing in a lot of attention.