Transfer topic

Discuss and compare your favorite players
arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 18 Aug 2009, 17:05

Rome_Leader wrote:That's one of two 'big signings' from Wegner... He truly is mad, but hopefully, there is a method to it. :P In 8 or so years, Arsenal will be the most unstoppable team in football from his diligent youth work.

Good to see that the kid is American, though. Hope he's not a bust like some others.
It's actually Liam Brady who signed him or is going to. Brady is in charge of youth development. :D

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 18 Aug 2009, 17:08

Perhaps so, but you can't deny that Arsené has always favoured the youth. It's common knowledge.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 18 Aug 2009, 17:11

Rome_Leader wrote:Perhaps so, but you can't deny that Arsené has always favoured the youth. It's common knowledge.
Yes its true. We signed up 4 youth so far in pre-season and I think we are negoitaing with another one, Wellington from Brazil. We also let 14 youth players go, tough odds but they should all be picked up. It just goes to show not everyone makes it. Some had injuries which kept them out, others just weren't as good as we thought they would be.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 18 Aug 2009, 17:14

Don't get me wrong. I admire your club's focus with youth development. Sometimes it's just hilarious how MUCH it comes up in the media. Haha, Old Man Wegner has a fancy for young boys! ;)

I wish Chelsea could do the same. Sure, you might be scoffed at for signing so much youth, but there is no worse a feeling than having almost no youth system at all, and only signing a barrage of expensive players to cover up a spot for maybe a season. Signing for need. Every club needs a solid youth program they can go to when a youngster is needed. And you get a lot of respect when a prospect turns out to be a star, even if you can't keep him.

All roads lead to Rome.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 18 Aug 2009, 17:20

Rome_Leader wrote:Don't get me wrong. I admire your club's focus with youth development. Sometimes it's just hilarious how MUCH it comes up in the media. Haha, Old Man Wegner has a fancy for young boys! ;)

I wish Chelsea could do the same. Sure, you might be scoffed at for signing so much youth, but there is no worse a feeling than having almost no youth system at all, and only signing a barrage of expensive players to cover up a spot for maybe a season. Signing for need. Every club needs a solid youth program they can go to when a youngster is needed. And you get a lot of respect when a prospect turns out to be a star, even if you can't keep him.
Believe me there are times when I wished we'd signed expeirenced players, but looking at guys like Wilshere and a lot of the young talent we have coming through its exciting. I just wish they were older. Wenger wants to protect the young guys and not give them too much hype. I can't blame him. The last thing we want is another Adu fiasco.

I'm all for youth development and I admire that we have the patience to do it. Its one of those things I can never stand on Football Manager. I'm just not good at it lol.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 18 Aug 2009, 17:23

Speaking of Adu. There was talks about a loan move to Denmark but they have broken down because of wages. I believe Adu makes around 1 million a year. http://www.noshortcorners.com/

I wish I could make 1 million a year for doing nothing. Sitting on a bench and training with NFL players! ok maybe a bit harsh but if you've followed the Adu saga, its not that harsh. Kid needs pt or his career will suffer. He won't be going to SA unless he finds a club and does well.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 18 Aug 2009, 17:24

True, but you have your experienced stars, too. There's a balance. I just find it funny that I remember watching a press conference with Wegner, and how he said Cesc and Viera couldn't play together, so he sold Viera... Then he said something and Wilshire and Cesc not being able to play together... ;\

Haha, but it's the best part of Football Manager! :P

Yeah, I'm aware of Adu. It's seems like his career will be on the downturn unless he finds a spot to play consistently.

All roads lead to Rome.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 18 Aug 2009, 17:28

arsenalfc08 wrote:Speaking of Adu. There was talks about a loan move to Denmark but they have broken down because of wages. I believe Adu makes around 1 million a year. http://www.noshortcorners.com/

I wish I could make 1 million a year for doing nothing. Sitting on a bench and training with NFL players! ok maybe a bit harsh but if you've followed the Adu saga, its not that harsh. Kid needs pt or his career will suffer. He won't be going to SA unless he finds a club and does well.
I think he'll be going to South Africa next year anyways unless someone really steps up and takes away a spot. that being said, I don't think he'll play.
I'd really like to see him play at Benfica because it's a pretty big club and I think he's good enough, he just has too many people in front of him (or at least that's what the coaching staff there thinks). Adu is 20. It was understandable when he was like 17 or 18 but at this time, he's really going to have to start doing something. Any kind of playing time would be good at this point.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 18 Aug 2009, 17:31

soccer11 wrote:
arsenalfc08 wrote:Speaking of Adu. There was talks about a loan move to Denmark but they have broken down because of wages. I believe Adu makes around 1 million a year. http://www.noshortcorners.com/

I think he'll be going to South Africa next year anyways unless someone really steps up and takes away a spot. that being said, I don't think he'll play.
I'd really like to see him play at Benfica because it's a pretty big club and I think he's good enough, he just has too many people in front of him (or at least that's what the coaching staff there thinks). Adu is 20. It was understandable when he was like 17 or 18 but at this time, he's really going to have to start doing something. Any kind of playing time would be good at this point.
I think Holden, if he continues to do well, could be a lock for SA. With Adu its just all that hype. He's been around since he was 14. He may be "only 20" but he's already had 6 years of pro experience. It makes him seem older than he really is. He just needs to find a team and fast. The window closes in 2 weeks.

He should already be with a team but this pre-season was a disaster. He left the GC early to go to pre-season with Benfica. But he ended up at IMG training with NFL players. Benfica don't want him. Adu trains with the "unwanted" players according to reports from Portugal. Benfica are stacked with players in his position.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 18 Aug 2009, 17:35

arsenalfc08 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:

I think Holden, if he continues to do well, could be a lock for SA. With Adu its just all that hype. He's been around since he was 14. He may be "only 20" but he's already had 6 years of pro experience. It makes him seem older than he really is. He just needs to find a team and fast. The window closes in 2 weeks.
well yea, that's why i said he's 20 and it was understandable a few years ago.
And with Adu I do think it's a lot of hype, but not just hype. It's hype mixed in with a couple flashes of brilliance. I think it was against Spain last year, when he was dribbling around their defense. That was amazing. Then other times my touch seems better than his. He's going to have to be more consistent because when he's good, he's very good.

united10
Veteran Member

Post by united10 » 19 Aug 2009, 01:44

Anyone think United need to sign a keeper? Ben Foster just isnt doing it for me...

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 19 Aug 2009, 12:13

I've always thought of him as a talent. When he was loaned away to Watford for a season, with a far worse supporting cast, he was a star of that team. Maybe he just needs some starts strung together to shake off the cobwebs.

Who would you suggest they sign in the stead of him?

All roads lead to Rome.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 19 Aug 2009, 15:53

I think we will need to sign someone eventually but van der sar is still our number 1 so i think foster is good enough for our current needs. But who knows, maybe he'll prove me wrong.

KoNJa04
Veteran Member

Post by KoNJa04 » 19 Aug 2009, 16:14

just wanna say, United10... cool sig

If you desire that life then pursuit it.. end of story.. no buts, no hypothetical situations, no what ifs.. you want something go get it ..
~~Panchester07

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Post by MSILancer7 » 19 Aug 2009, 16:31

KoNJa04 wrote:just wanna say, United10... cool sig
Talking about nice sigs... yours are sweet and funny