Transfer topic

Discuss and compare your favorite players
soccer_after_death
Veteran Member

Real_Zidane wrote:
Davidson9 wrote:
Rome_Leader wrote:HOLY CRAP.

A month of trying... Surely Rom could've outbid CITY?! What made this deal fly?

City are mad. Snatching Berba and now Robinho. Megaton epic final transfer day of the century.
Abu Dhabi United Group took over from Shinawatra, and they have far more money than Thaksin does.

And Berbatov has signed for United. :x
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pageg ... id=6617336
Haha same here LOL... Ok just replace him, then find out that he's at united. Btw they havent updated him in the league yet... They still show him as playing for tottenham.

That's more like it. The apparent move to city left me scratching my head.

EDIT: OMG RIGHT WHEN I REPLACE HIM ON FANTASY PREMIERSHIP :evil: pisses me off...

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

TH14 wrote:I think what is more surprising, to me at least, was what didn't happen. Arsenal didn't sign anybody. I thought for sure Wenger would bring somebody in at last minute, but he didn't. He had 30 mil to spend! Wenger is a smart man and he usually knows what he is doing, but I'm getting tired of this thriftiness. Now is not the time. I know that splashing down big amounts of money on players doesn't always work out, and Wenger has never been about that, but there comes a point when you almost need to spend that large amount. Especially when you have such a young squad like Arsenal does. We needed a veteran leader in the midfield, and if not that, then a very tough and physical tackler. It didn't even need to be an established veteran (would've been the best choice) but we AT LEAST needed a hard working holding midfielder like we had in Flamini. But whatever, Wenger will make it work and we will still take League, no worries :D.
What are you talking about? You guys got Silvestre! :P :lol:

soccer11
Admin

Real_Zidane wrote:
TH14 wrote:I think what is more surprising, to me at least, was what didn't happen. Arsenal didn't sign anybody. I thought for sure Wenger would bring somebody in at last minute, but he didn't. He had 30 mil to spend! Wenger is a smart man and he usually knows what he is doing, but I'm getting tired of this thriftiness. Now is not the time. I know that splashing down big amounts of money on players doesn't always work out, and Wenger has never been about that, but there comes a point when you almost need to spend that large amount. Especially when you have such a young squad like Arsenal does. We needed a veteran leader in the midfield, and if not that, then a very tough and physical tackler. It didn't even need to be an established veteran (would've been the best choice) but we AT LEAST needed a hard working holding midfielder like we had in Flamini. But whatever, Wenger will make it work and we will still take League, no worries :D.
What are you talking about? You guys got Silvestre! :P :lol:
ha i was gonna say that but i thought the arsenal fans would crucify me

Davidson9
Veteran Member

What about Thomas Gravesen?

He's a veteran leader who plays in the midfield and is a physical player and a very hard tackler, and he just so happens to be a free agent.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Davidson9 wrote:What about Thomas Gravesen?

He's a veteran leader who plays in the midfield and is a physical player and a very hard tackler, and he just so happens to be a free agent.
I know people love Wenger, but the squad lacks depth, and I think if they have another trophy less season, which is caused by lack of depth, then he should go, because he decided not to spend the money.

He's done great getting young talent, but at some point when you go trophy less for 3 season's with the money he has, it's gotta fall on someone.

TH14
Veteran Member

Hah Silvestre? Yeah right :x. I think if we don't win anything this year (we'll win one, don't worry), then I think someone else in the club should be able to pull the trigger on transfers. I wouldn't fire Wenger, he's still a fabulous coach of the game. It's just his money issue that needs to be fixed. It would be hard to have a higher-up in the club to make decisions on transfers for Wenger, because only Wenger knows who can and can't fit in with his style and his squad he has already put together, but they can find a way to make that work. Where's mpcarres? I wana see what he thinks about this one.
Credit to keller8

"Arsenal will always be in my heart, my blood, my head." - Thierry Henry

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

To be honest, I couldn't care less about Wenger not signing anyone. The prices for players are simply astronomical, and to be honest there just aren't very many good players on the market right now. When you look at the positions where we could use more players, that would be in defense and in the center midfield. The thing is, Kompany was the only great available player, and he went to Man City. As for the midfield, again there just aren't options out there that are better than what we have. Both Abou Diaby and Alex Song are of the highest class, and I think that Diaby can be Vieira with better technique, while Denilson is good and is getting better with every game (although I much prefer the other two right now). The thing about both of these players is that they both know when to press and tackle, and when to lay off a bit, while both are great in the attack. With Flamini, he was excellent at closing space, but he did it too much, and when he did it at the wrong time, it exposed our defense to the long ball. Therefore the all-action midfielder that is desired is actually not appropriate for our team. All in all though, I feel that the squad is good enough and actually deep enough to challenge on all fronts, especially the prem where people forget that had we won at Man U, a game we absolutely dominated, we would have MATHEMATICALLY won the Premiership. We have cut the fat out (Senderos and Hoyte were crap, Gilberto and Lehmann were way past it, I already mentioned Flamini's problems, and Hleb couldn't produce) and replaced them with higher quality all around (except maybe with Almunia, but he's not nearly as bad as everyone says, and Silvestre, who isn't very good but he won't play much anyway and he is definately a step up from either Senderos or Hoyte). I think that Arsenal will surprise a lot of people this year.
God damn brewery!!!

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

mpcarres14 wrote:To be honest, I couldn't care less about Wenger not signing anyone. The prices for players are simply astronomical, and to be honest there just aren't very many good players on the market right now. When you look at the positions where we could use more players, that would be in defense and in the center midfield. The thing is, Kompany was the only great available player, and he went to Man City. As for the midfield, again there just aren't options out there that are better than what we have. Both Abou Diaby and Alex Song are of the highest class, and I think that Diaby can be Vieira with better technique, while Denilson is good and is getting better with every game (although I much prefer the other two right now). The thing about both of these players is that they both know when to press and tackle, and when to lay off a bit, while both are great in the attack. With Flamini, he was excellent at closing space, but he did it too much, and when he did it at the wrong time, it exposed our defense to the long ball. Therefore the all-action midfielder that is desired is actually not appropriate for our team. All in all though, I feel that the squad is good enough and actually deep enough to challenge on all fronts, especially the prem where people forget that had we won at Man U, a game we absolutely dominated, we would have MATHEMATICALLY won the Premiership. We have cut the fat out (Senderos and Hoyte were crap, Gilberto and Lehmann were way past it, I already mentioned Flamini's problems, and Hleb couldn't produce) and replaced them with higher quality all around (except maybe with Almunia, but he's not nearly as bad as everyone says, and Silvestre, who isn't very good but he won't play much anyway and he is definately a step up from either Senderos or Hoyte). I think that Arsenal will surprise a lot of people this year.
With JFW we can do anything LOL, love that kid. I'm happy with Denilson in midfield, I went crazy when he scored, I was so happy for him. I'm glad RVP finally scored, I was worried we'd have to get Bergkamp back here to teach him some finishing.

Plus we have Clichy, Fabregas is back. I think we will do fine.

I love the professor. I'm happy that he isn't going around splashing the cash and that he actually has principles when it comes to salaries and contracts. Honestly the only person i'm sad to see leave this season itsn't a player but Gary Lewin, I know hes staff but he was pure class, I liked him.

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Enough of this arsenologist talk. :P

But really, I think this season will be yet another stale one for arsenal. Finish 4th in the league and maybe go on a bit of a cup run but ultimately get knocked out.

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Who's gonna finish above them? Liverpool are cack, and Man City might need a good six months to click. A minimum of third place is all but confirmed for Arsenal, who I actually think are a more direct, ruthless, and overall better team than last year.
God damn brewery!!!

KPatel

We may be playing cack, but we didn't lose to a team like Fulham mate.

TH14
Veteran Member

I love Diaby but he can get too lazy with his tackling sometimes, and that's what scares me. We don't need those kinds of mistakes being made in the center of our deep lying midfield. Diaby has pretty decent vision as well and he CAN be a playmaker at times, but we don't necessarily need it. We just need someone to make tackles at that position and get it to Cesc :). As for Song, I love the way he played for us at the end of last season. He locked Wayne Rooney DOWN in the Man U game, which, you're right, we dominated. BS free kick from Hargreaves :roll:. But he played a bit inconsistent for Cameroon in the Olympics. But I'm not too worried about that.
Credit to keller8

"Arsenal will always be in my heart, my blood, my head." - Thierry Henry

shahensha
Veteran Member

Does song start? He should get extra playtime now that senderos is gone. He has lots of potential and his passing is very good too. Kid is money, wenger should start using him more often.

tevezaholic
Veteran Member

am i the only person that think man city and robinho had a deal early on but kept it secret to the public so others would bid and bring publicity to the club
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

in short tevez, yes you are

and as for this arsenal talk, if arsene had 30 mil he should have spent it, any other manager in the league would have taken advantage of it

as for diaby and song being quality players i cant say i agree

they may have potential which is all fine and well, but arsenal fans dont want to see Arsenal lose in the premier league and the champions league and playing players like song, diaby, denilson they wont win any trophies

what arsenal need is a vieira to hold the fort and let fabregas play. Not the "future" vieira who will make youthful mistakes but "can be forgiven because of his inexpeirience"

i dont see why liverpool cant finish above arsenal if rafa gets his system right

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.