Transfer topic

Discuss and compare your favorite players
Kakafan22
Junior Member
Posts: 80
Joined: 30 Jul 2008, 00:32

Post

Image
Image

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post

this has been one of the craziest final transfer days i can remember in a while.
Image

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member
Posts: 2959
Joined: 25 May 2005, 21:36
Location: New York, USA

Post

mint wrote:http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 40,00.html

robinho has accepted citys offer.
Damn, they broke the British transfer record by buying Robinho. They payed £32.5 million for him, eclipsing the £31 Chelsea payed for Shevchenko in 2006.
Image

casar22
Veteran Member
Posts: 1068
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 23:09

Post

The transfer market went crazy in this last day. I can't believe Robinho is playing for Man City and that United got Bervatov in the very last second, which is good and what can I say about Quaresma? I just wanted him to leave Porto and I hope he does really well this season!
Image

Bienvenido Cristiano Ronaldo!

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post

agreed. now we'll see what kind of player quaresma really is when he's playing in a big time league. i'll be rooting for him and hope he does good.

robinho....holy sh*t. not much else to say. i definitely didn't see it coming. i was sure he was going to be a chelsea player.

berbatov going to Man U didn't surprise me as much because i thought he'd go there. the news that he was going to city did surprise me though.
Image

2brown347
Veteran Member
Posts: 3339
Joined: 30 Oct 2007, 04:15

Post

soccer11 wrote:agreed. now we'll see what kind of player quaresma really is when he's playing in a big time league. i'll be rooting for him and hope he does good.

robinho....holy sh*t. not much else to say. i definitely didn't see it coming. i was sure he was going to be a chelsea player.

berbatov going to Man U didn't surprise me as much because i thought he'd go there. the news that he was going to city did surprise me though.
It's kinda funny how two weeks ago everyone was thinking Man City were gonna end up like Leeds, and now a top 4 finish seems possible and people are starting to say that England (and Italy) have top 5's now, not top 4's.

TH14
Veteran Member
Posts: 576
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 22:09

Post

I think what is more surprising, to me at least, was what didn't happen. Arsenal didn't sign anybody. I thought for sure Wenger would bring somebody in at last minute, but he didn't. He had 30 mil to spend! Wenger is a smart man and he usually knows what he is doing, but I'm getting tired of this thriftiness. Now is not the time. I know that splashing down big amounts of money on players doesn't always work out, and Wenger has never been about that, but there comes a point when you almost need to spend that large amount. Especially when you have such a young squad like Arsenal does. We needed a veteran leader in the midfield, and if not that, then a very tough and physical tackler. It didn't even need to be an established veteran (would've been the best choice) but we AT LEAST needed a hard working holding midfielder like we had in Flamini. But whatever, Wenger will make it work and we will still take League, no worries :D.
Image
Credit to keller8

"Arsenal will always be in my heart, my blood, my head." - Thierry Henry

soccer_after_death
Veteran Member
Posts: 736
Joined: 21 Jun 2008, 19:57

Post

Real_Zidane wrote:
Davidson9 wrote:
Rome_Leader wrote:HOLY CRAP.

A month of trying... Surely Rom could've outbid CITY?! What made this deal fly?

City are mad. Snatching Berba and now Robinho. Megaton epic final transfer day of the century.
Abu Dhabi United Group took over from Shinawatra, and they have far more money than Thaksin does.

And Berbatov has signed for United. :x
http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pageg ... id=6617336
Haha same here LOL... Ok just replace him, then find out that he's at united. Btw they havent updated him in the league yet... They still show him as playing for tottenham.

That's more like it. The apparent move to city left me scratching my head.


EDIT: OMG RIGHT WHEN I REPLACE HIM ON FANTASY PREMIERSHIP :evil: pisses me off...
Image

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member
Posts: 1925
Joined: 11 Aug 2006, 17:36

Post

TH14 wrote:I think what is more surprising, to me at least, was what didn't happen. Arsenal didn't sign anybody. I thought for sure Wenger would bring somebody in at last minute, but he didn't. He had 30 mil to spend! Wenger is a smart man and he usually knows what he is doing, but I'm getting tired of this thriftiness. Now is not the time. I know that splashing down big amounts of money on players doesn't always work out, and Wenger has never been about that, but there comes a point when you almost need to spend that large amount. Especially when you have such a young squad like Arsenal does. We needed a veteran leader in the midfield, and if not that, then a very tough and physical tackler. It didn't even need to be an established veteran (would've been the best choice) but we AT LEAST needed a hard working holding midfielder like we had in Flamini. But whatever, Wenger will make it work and we will still take League, no worries :D.
What are you talking about? You guys got Silvestre! :P :lol:
Image

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post

Real_Zidane wrote:
TH14 wrote:I think what is more surprising, to me at least, was what didn't happen. Arsenal didn't sign anybody. I thought for sure Wenger would bring somebody in at last minute, but he didn't. He had 30 mil to spend! Wenger is a smart man and he usually knows what he is doing, but I'm getting tired of this thriftiness. Now is not the time. I know that splashing down big amounts of money on players doesn't always work out, and Wenger has never been about that, but there comes a point when you almost need to spend that large amount. Especially when you have such a young squad like Arsenal does. We needed a veteran leader in the midfield, and if not that, then a very tough and physical tackler. It didn't even need to be an established veteran (would've been the best choice) but we AT LEAST needed a hard working holding midfielder like we had in Flamini. But whatever, Wenger will make it work and we will still take League, no worries :D.
What are you talking about? You guys got Silvestre! :P :lol:
ha i was gonna say that but i thought the arsenal fans would crucify me
Image

Davidson9
Veteran Member
Posts: 4471
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 18:41

Post

What about Thomas Gravesen?

He's a veteran leader who plays in the midfield and is a physical player and a very hard tackler, and he just so happens to be a free agent.

2brown347
Veteran Member
Posts: 3339
Joined: 30 Oct 2007, 04:15

Post

Davidson9 wrote:What about Thomas Gravesen?

He's a veteran leader who plays in the midfield and is a physical player and a very hard tackler, and he just so happens to be a free agent.
I know people love Wenger, but the squad lacks depth, and I think if they have another trophy less season, which is caused by lack of depth, then he should go, because he decided not to spend the money.

He's done great getting young talent, but at some point when you go trophy less for 3 season's with the money he has, it's gotta fall on someone.

TH14
Veteran Member
Posts: 576
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 22:09

Post

Hah Silvestre? Yeah right :x. I think if we don't win anything this year (we'll win one, don't worry), then I think someone else in the club should be able to pull the trigger on transfers. I wouldn't fire Wenger, he's still a fabulous coach of the game. It's just his money issue that needs to be fixed. It would be hard to have a higher-up in the club to make decisions on transfers for Wenger, because only Wenger knows who can and can't fit in with his style and his squad he has already put together, but they can find a way to make that work. Where's mpcarres? I wana see what he thinks about this one.
Image
Credit to keller8

"Arsenal will always be in my heart, my blood, my head." - Thierry Henry

mpcarres14
Veteran Member
Posts: 1847
Joined: 30 Mar 2005, 00:26
Location: Virginia, USA

Post

To be honest, I couldn't care less about Wenger not signing anyone. The prices for players are simply astronomical, and to be honest there just aren't very many good players on the market right now. When you look at the positions where we could use more players, that would be in defense and in the center midfield. The thing is, Kompany was the only great available player, and he went to Man City. As for the midfield, again there just aren't options out there that are better than what we have. Both Abou Diaby and Alex Song are of the highest class, and I think that Diaby can be Vieira with better technique, while Denilson is good and is getting better with every game (although I much prefer the other two right now). The thing about both of these players is that they both know when to press and tackle, and when to lay off a bit, while both are great in the attack. With Flamini, he was excellent at closing space, but he did it too much, and when he did it at the wrong time, it exposed our defense to the long ball. Therefore the all-action midfielder that is desired is actually not appropriate for our team. All in all though, I feel that the squad is good enough and actually deep enough to challenge on all fronts, especially the prem where people forget that had we won at Man U, a game we absolutely dominated, we would have MATHEMATICALLY won the Premiership. We have cut the fat out (Senderos and Hoyte were crap, Gilberto and Lehmann were way past it, I already mentioned Flamini's problems, and Hleb couldn't produce) and replaced them with higher quality all around (except maybe with Almunia, but he's not nearly as bad as everyone says, and Silvestre, who isn't very good but he won't play much anyway and he is definately a step up from either Senderos or Hoyte). I think that Arsenal will surprise a lot of people this year.
God damn brewery!!!

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post

mpcarres14 wrote:To be honest, I couldn't care less about Wenger not signing anyone. The prices for players are simply astronomical, and to be honest there just aren't very many good players on the market right now. When you look at the positions where we could use more players, that would be in defense and in the center midfield. The thing is, Kompany was the only great available player, and he went to Man City. As for the midfield, again there just aren't options out there that are better than what we have. Both Abou Diaby and Alex Song are of the highest class, and I think that Diaby can be Vieira with better technique, while Denilson is good and is getting better with every game (although I much prefer the other two right now). The thing about both of these players is that they both know when to press and tackle, and when to lay off a bit, while both are great in the attack. With Flamini, he was excellent at closing space, but he did it too much, and when he did it at the wrong time, it exposed our defense to the long ball. Therefore the all-action midfielder that is desired is actually not appropriate for our team. All in all though, I feel that the squad is good enough and actually deep enough to challenge on all fronts, especially the prem where people forget that had we won at Man U, a game we absolutely dominated, we would have MATHEMATICALLY won the Premiership. We have cut the fat out (Senderos and Hoyte were crap, Gilberto and Lehmann were way past it, I already mentioned Flamini's problems, and Hleb couldn't produce) and replaced them with higher quality all around (except maybe with Almunia, but he's not nearly as bad as everyone says, and Silvestre, who isn't very good but he won't play much anyway and he is definately a step up from either Senderos or Hoyte). I think that Arsenal will surprise a lot of people this year.
With JFW we can do anything LOL, love that kid. I'm happy with Denilson in midfield, I went crazy when he scored, I was so happy for him. I'm glad RVP finally scored, I was worried we'd have to get Bergkamp back here to teach him some finishing.

Plus we have Clichy, Fabregas is back. I think we will do fine.

I love the professor. I'm happy that he isn't going around splashing the cash and that he actually has principles when it comes to salaries and contracts. Honestly the only person i'm sad to see leave this season itsn't a player but Gary Lewin, I know hes staff but he was pure class, I liked him.

Post Reply