Player Vs. Player

Discuss and compare your favorite players
oranje74

raul- complete striker, provides leadership. i thnk kezman is a great poacher, i think hes yet to "find his feet" tough time @ chelsea, i dont think hes been great for athelitco.

cruyff V pires
think about it for a minute before decieding.. its closer than you think
I can do it

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

no contest. they're not really the same position either, so that makes it hard to compare them. cruyff was a striker, and sometimes played the midfield. pires is an attacking midfielder/winger. i think he played striker ONCE that i remember. cruyff was one of the top 5 of all time, pires is nowhere near that. he's good, but NOWHERE near cruyff. you'll make your point as soon as i see someone do the "pires turn" to wrong foot a defender and get in a cross.

cicinho v. beletti
Hala Galacticos

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

cfrealmadrid wrote:no contest. they're not really the same position either, so that makes it hard to compare them. cruyff was a striker, and sometimes played the midfield. pires is an attacking midfielder/winger. i think he played striker ONCE that i remember. cruyff was one of the top 5 of all time, pires is nowhere near that. he's good, but NOWHERE near cruyff. you'll make your point as soon as i see someone do the "pires turn" to wrong foot a defender and get in a cross.
like oranje74 said, think about it. How many left wingers consistantly score 15-20 goals each season? Pires is the only one I can think of right now. He scores some very important goals for Arsenal, and he is very, very underrated because he sometimes dives, in my opinion. Watch some of his goals, they are absolutely stunning. Still, he isn't going to be known as a legend like Cruyff, but Pires is closer to Cruyff than most people think.

Robin van Persie vs. Dirk Kuyt
God damn brewery!!!

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Ronaldinho vs. Kaka

Shevchenko vs. Ronaldo

Lionel Messi vs. Carlos Tevez

Joaquin vs. Cristiano Ronaldo

Ian Wright vs. Ruud van Nistelrooy

Overmars vs. Ljungberg

Dont forget the post above

for arsenal fans: Gus Caesar vs Pascal Cygan

(sorry, I just had a bunch of these that were fresh in my mind. I had to post some of them before they left my memory)
God damn brewery!!!

oranje74

pires
world cup
european championchips
3 premierships ( alot tougher than dutch league of 1970s)
consisten goalscorers
cruyff
world cup finalist
3 time european champion
spanish title at barca
a bunch of dutch leagues and cups
multipple time european footballer of the year
changed the way football is played
fantastic manager - 4 la liga titles and european cup
its not a blowout, closer than you think
but cruyff still wins, of course
and btw, cruyff wasnt a stiker
I can do it

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

cruyff is not a PURE striker maybe. i should know though, as i did a seven page report on him for school last year. and i never said it was a blowout, but it's not really all too close. pires is a great player, but you said it yourself: he'll never be a legend like cruyff. he's a great player. i'll say it over and over again. he knows the game inside and out, but he doesn't really give it that personal touch. he plays it the same as everyone else, but with more skill. cruyff was inhuman. to say pires is almost as good as cruyff is an insult to all of holland. when he hits his peak in about a year or two (i still think he's improving), he'll still be about 2 steps away from legend status in my book. an arsenal legend? definitely. but a world footballing legend? not quite.

"Robin van Persie vs. Dirk Kuyt"

van persie all the way. kuijt is fast improving, and he may be the next arjen robben (as far as young talent goes), but van persie has a spot in arsenal's starting eleven, and you don't get an awful lot bigger than that.

bergkamp vs shearer
Hala Galacticos

oranje74

bergkamp v shearer
henry v rvn
creator v poacher
7 or 8 yrs ago, bergkamp and shearer were the best at what they did, just as henry and rvn are now
so split, but i wouldnt want either in a penalty shootout :wink:

ballack v pirlo
I can do it

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

complete opposites, but an interesting comparison. i may have underestimated you when you brought up cruyff vs pires :) . ballack is a great player stuck in a team that doesn't meet his high playing ability. and that's saying something, considering he's at the strongest german club in the league. pirlo on the other hand, is a decent enough player, but what makes him is his team. he's a deadly playmaker, but only when he gets the ball. he needs someone to make his ingredients, out of which he makes plays. if that makes any sense. so what i'm saying is: ballack makes the team, whereas the team makes pirlo. both great players. the difference is that ballack could play at any club, but pirlo couldn't play anywhere but milan.

duff vs. beasley
("think about it")
Hala Galacticos

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

anyone? no? how about

alonso vs. hamann
Hala Galacticos

FCBarcelona
Veteran Member

hmm no doubt Alonso now. Hamann was better in his prime and if you compare Hamann at his prime he would be better. Alonso has been tauted as the next true DM, and in a couple of years he will be in the ranks of Vieira and Emerson.

Lionel Messi v C. Ronaldo
FORÇA BARÇA!

"I’m a player who can do absolutely anything if I am smiling and laughing. If I’m not happy, then everything becomes more of a struggle,” explained Adriano.

matt
EF Forum Legend

Ronaldo, he is more accomplished at the moment. Messi is no doubt very good but his style at the moment seems to be just to go through players rather than round them....Messi looks more like an Argentinian Rooney rather than the next Maradona to me.

Messi vs Tevez (this may have been said)
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

LOL, guys, I always look at this topic and feel left out, because I don't know much about any of the players you guys know tons about!! :cry:

FCBarcelona
Veteran Member

Messi v Tevez

They play different positions so its hard to pick...

Sneijder v Vaart
FORÇA BARÇA!

"I’m a player who can do absolutely anything if I am smiling and laughing. If I’m not happy, then everything becomes more of a struggle,” explained Adriano.

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

matt wrote:Messi vs Tevez (this may have been said)
Yeah, that was in my long list above, somebody please answer those!!!
God damn brewery!!!

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

FCBarcelona wrote:Messi v Tevez

They play different positions so its hard to pick...

Sneijder v Vaart
sneijder has a ton of potential. he's good enough to get a spot in holland's national team in my opinion. he could be the next lampard, or he could burn out with an injury or a stupid career move. if he plays it smart, develops himself properly, and STAYS AT AJAX, he'll be great. he's one of my favorite players now, ever since i saw him at euro. to answer the question though, van der vaart is better. he has (slightly) more experience, and better individual ball skills. sneijder is a better distributor, but van der vaart is better on his own, which is why i choose him.

makelele vs emerson

by the way, great to see you back fc barcelona. i remember some great player vs player posts by you in the past :D
Hala Galacticos