Fifa Player of the Year

Discuss and compare your favorite players
shahensha
Veteran Member

Kaka and Messi are one of the top contenders in the 30 candidates selected for the list.

I dont know where to find the list on the internet.

Oh yeah, Juninho, Ronaldinho and Drogba also qualified the shortlist.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Well the shortlist from uefa.com is:

Kaka'
Alessandro Nesta
Andrea Pirlo
Clarence Seedorf
Gianluigi Buffon
Patrick Vieira
Thierry Henry
Lilian Thuram
Frank Ribery
Juninho Pernambucano
Rafael Marquez
Lionel Messi
Ronaldinho
Deco
Samuel Eto'o
Cristiano Ronaldo
Wayne Rooney
Carlos Tevez
Juan Roman Riquelme
John Terry
Frank Lampard
Didier Drogba
Michael Essien
Petr Cech
Miroslav Klose
Philip Lahm
Fabio Cannavaro
Ruud Van Nistelrooy
Fernando Torres
Steven Gerrard

Winner will be announced on December 17th, 2007.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Regarding performances last year, the top three are prolly going to be Kaka, CRonaldo and Messi.

What do you all say?

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Well, I wouldn't say Messi as he really started to shine this year much more than Ronaldinho. Rooney has always come through for Man Utd when they needed him most and so has Lampard. Henry had a good season too last year with his final year at Arsenal.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Not necessarily yo. Messi started to shine last year after coming back from injury when he started scoring a crap load of goals, like the hat-trick against madrid and the goal against getafe. Its just that people have started to notice him now.

Why isnt Totti on the list? Didnt he lead the Serie A in goals last year?

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

I'd go for Kaka. His consistency is the key factor Milan winning the Champions' League. Not always outstanding but he delivered according to our above average expectations.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Kaka
Ronaldo
Messi

In that order

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Kakasgotskillz wrote:Henry had a good season too last year with his final year at Arsenal.
That was easily the worst season Henry has ever had with the club. Many of the things that contributed to his poor form were totally out of control, but it doesn't change the fact that by his standards he had a bad season.

I agree with Hugh on the top 3 and the order.

dareliss
Veteran Member

i can bet none of you are right kaka messi or ronaldo aint gona get award, you just forget other good player from a list, it might be even bufon. who knows its to close to call, but not kaka 100% i know they won champions league but he didn't do nothing impressive i don't have nothing against him, not ronaldo, really not him, messi might be he improved a lot and showed what to us, klose he sored a lot of goals he shines at munich 7 app 8 goals, and all of the others have great chances winning award like i mentioned it's too close to call. because fifa will chose it by not only last years performance what is for sure.
Impossible Is Nothing. Impossible is the last shot. Impossible is the last game.

Sig by me... :)

Hugh
Veteran Member

Right... because Kaka didn't also win Uefa club footballer of the year, Uefa club forward of the year and the champions league golden boot. Oh wait, he did.

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Although i dont like his fancy tricks, really it has to be Ronaldo, over the last year hes performed at such a high and consistent level and produced some excellent performances and on top of that hes added goals to his game, the guy has to get the award. Kaka and Messi have both had good seasons too, but in my opinion there is more to come from them and they arent on the maturity level Ronaldo is on yet.
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

powell
English Meister

shahensha wrote:Not necessarily yo. Messi started to shine last year after coming back from injury when he started scoring a crap load of goals, like the hat-trick against madrid and the goal against getafe. Its just that people have started to notice him now.

Why isnt Totti on the list? Didnt he lead the Serie A in goals last year?
Just to say its fifa player of the year 2007 ... In reality they should pick winners from january 1st 2007 onwards, nothing from the year before should come into it but sadly it doesnt happen this way.

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

powell wrote:Just to say its fifa player of the year 2007 ... In reality they should pick winners from january 1st 2007 onwards, nothing from the year before should come into it but sadly it doesnt happen this way.
Wait! I thought it was from late last year to mid this year?

dareliss
Veteran Member

Hugh wrote:Right... because Kaka didn't also win Uefa club footballer of the year, Uefa club forward of the year and the champions league golden boot. Oh wait, he did.
ohh yeah i forgot how other players used to win this award before him, did they won them 10 years in a row NO, and i think kaka will not win any awords for few years for sure to many good players are coming strong. and it dosn't means anything if he won awords last year this doesn't have anything to do with fifa player of the year. and i can bet what kaka will not win 100% sure... Ronaldo, Messi, Buffon, klose, even gerrard has higher chances of winning then kaka, and i think gerrard might take it, or other English guy.
Impossible Is Nothing. Impossible is the last shot. Impossible is the last game.

Sig by me... :)

powell
English Meister

fir_nev wrote:
powell wrote:Just to say its fifa player of the year 2007 ... In reality they should pick winners from january 1st 2007 onwards, nothing from the year before should come into it but sadly it doesnt happen this way.
Wait! I thought it was from late last year to mid this year?
hmm i was pretty sure it was this year, otherwise in that case cannaviro shouldnt have won it.

You see my point though right.