Can Messi be stopped?

Discuss and compare your favorite players
ForzaMilan
Veteran Member

Post by ForzaMilan » 25 Jan 2008, 16:24

I was watching Barcelona vs Villareal highlights, and Messi, once again intentionally poked the ball over the goalie with his hand, to head it in. It was completely obvious and the goal was ruled out. I'm not sure whether he was carded or not though. Its a shame to see...

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 25 Jan 2008, 18:54

yeah he got carded

lmao It was pretty funny. What a dirty dirty bastard.

ForzaMilan
Veteran Member

Post by ForzaMilan » 25 Jan 2008, 19:18

Haha yeah I kind of laughed when I saw it.

That one would have been even worse than his hand of god if he got away with it. :)

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 29 Jan 2008, 07:21

Tbh d'ya'll reali think Messi can last, I mean, it seems that all players who have good dribbling speediness dun last long, for one reason or another..cue George Best, Mickey Owen etc..

He's still magic tho'

nzfootball

Post by nzfootball » 30 Jan 2008, 04:41

Messi is still young and will win player of the year several times in the future im sure! I just realized almost all argentine players are assholes haha but theyr so good at football! Big ups to Javier Mascherano though he is a modest player

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 21 Mar 2010, 22:10

Another weekend of ankle breaking dribbles and hat-trick. He scored with his head in the first five minutes.

Barca looked stale in the second half being constantly attacked by Zaragoza's defence. Messi got tired, stole the ball himself, skipped past a sliding tackle, sprinted to the box, embarassed the a defender with his weaving run inside the box and scored his second goal. The he scored outside the box to finish off his hat-trick.

When Zaragoza tried to mount a come-back scoring 2 goals in the span of five minutes, the following minute Messi embarassed the defence with his zig zag dribbling into the box and got pulled down to earn a penalty. He allowed Zlatan to end his goal draught.

If this man is stopped then it will be a crime to football.

foodsample

Post by foodsample » 22 Mar 2010, 00:13

Hopefully Messi will see what happened to Ronaldinho (his ex-teammate, and mentor in Barca) and have that in his mind to keep him away from the temptations of the position he is in as the best player in the world.
"Y lo uvieras pegado al uno o dos que te salian?"
"O la hubiese tirado a la mierda, como lo hago siempre"

Mascherano ftw!

"Focus on the effort, not the results.. then results will come"

Live by it

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 22 Mar 2010, 00:14

shahensha wrote:Another weekend of ankle breaking dribbles and hat-trick. He scored with his head in the first five minutes.

Barca looked stale in the second half being constantly attacked by Zaragoza's defence. Messi got tired, stole the ball himself, skipped past a sliding tackle, sprinted to the box, embarassed the a defender with his weaving run inside the box and scored his second goal. The he scored outside the box to finish off his hat-trick.

When Zaragoza tried to mount a come-back scoring 2 goals in the span of five minutes, the following minute Messi embarassed the defence with his zig zag dribbling into the box and got pulled down to earn a penalty. He allowed Zlatan to end his goal draught.

If this man is stopped then it will be a crime to football.
After Ronaldo 9, he is probably the best damn thing I've ever seen play.. No he can't be stopped, he just cant be stopped, in a good day you best just let him score on you cause if not he'll beat all your defenders and score..... It either his way or his way..

I haven't seen anything like him, its not only the quantity, its the quality of the goals, its everything.. Its how much he scores, and how he scores them, beating 1-2 players and placing it in that corner, its something that a good player does 3-4 times in a season and everybody is like " OH WHAT A GOAL", Messi does this every week..

If he plays like this in Argentina I would happilly admit that people should surrender in advance, but sometimes he doesn't do such thing..

My relationship with Messi is a love/hate..

I hate him, because he always spoils Manchester united's chances for trophy winning as a club, or as individuals.. Last year he spoiled Cr7's chances of winning Ballon d'or, Fifa PLayer of the Year, etc. He also spoiled our chances of winning the Champions League, though he owes a lot to barcelona... Now its Rooney, I think he already has 1 more goal than rooney, having scored 8 in the last 3 matches helped a lot.. Rooney has solid chances of winning individual trophies this year, If Messi spoils him again im gonna have to punch some one...

On the other hand, I love Argentina as a team, and when an Argentinian socres in Europe, I always yell those goals much louder, I always keep track of how they are doing in Europe, and I watch Boca, and River games when I have the chances.. I love the culture, I love that they are days outside of the stadium waiting to buy tikcet, I love how the country paralizes when Argentina plays, I love that they love football, and any argetinian player I like in general, except Tevez at times, haha.

So thats my story with Messi.

Messi has the example of Ronaldinho, and Maradona to avoid.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 22 Mar 2010, 00:25

He's like the most awesomestestest player on the planet. He's prob the only player who I would say is world class.

Oh yeh and I dunno whether it's jz me but it seems he's change his dribbling style slightly. Last time he jz glided past players, now he seems to show players the ball, then glide past them. It used to be "see ya", whereas now it's "here hav the ball..no, see ya"..

He's like the best dribbler ever since the universe started. Rooney might be in form, Cr7 might hav athleticsm, but for pure footy talent, Messi rox and pisses all over them. And to think some ppl actually think Rooney should win Player of the year. Haha.

Hope Barcelona vs Man Utd again this year so Messi can show Rooney how it's done. He could hav had a fourth this week too but decided to let Ibra take the penalty. 34 goals and 11 assists in 38 games..He's jz amazing, stunning, and breathtaking all in one shot. If Pompey had him they would prob win the league, even with the points deduction..

On a side note tho, Im glad I chose him as my reference when I started training in footy (2007), and not the greasy tw** C Ronaldo..lol

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 22 Mar 2010, 00:28

Shahensa, we've cleared 3 myths now:

1) Messi can't win games single-handlely.
2) Messi can't score with his head.
3) Messi can't score from distance.

All this in 1 week :D

I trust you know what I'm talking about?
If Pompey had him they would prob win the league, even with the points deduction..
Not really, have you seen him in Argentina, class A players, but he doesn't do half of what he does in Barcelona..

And the Manchester thing is relative, he could very well score a hattrick on us, or he could just dissapear like he does at times ..

Messi scores like this against good and great teams, thats why he's so outstanding.. But can he do it against teams like Manchester United, like Inter, like Arsenal ???? Teams that are doing magnificent things as well, teams that are winning derby's and collecting points at the end of the season, Teams that are first in their respective leagues We will see, and if he does I will shut up, but untill he doesn't I have no reason to believe Manchester United can't beat Barcelona... Its 1-1, we eliminated them out of the champions league semifinal the year we won, and they beat us in the final the next year.. Anything can happen, Rooney vs Messi, we will see.

Manchester is huge, they just beat liverpool today, 2-1, and are mathematically on top of the league now, are scoring goals like there's no tomorrow. You can't compare untill you match them up really.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 22 Mar 2010, 00:41

lol indeed panchester. I think we both know the last remaining myth left to be cleared now. :wink:
Wanderer wrote: Oh yeh and I dunno whether it's jz me but it seems he's change his dribbling style slightly. Last time he jz glided past players, now he seems to show players the ball, then glide past them. It used to be "see ya", whereas now it's "here hav the ball..no, see ya"..
Word. His run to win the penalty is a clear example. The defender was left completely confused after Messi gave him a spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek4hQuJcESE

EDIT: The battle of the number 10s is why I am really looking forward to the Barca vs Man U clash. It will be the white pele vs the next maradona

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 22 Mar 2010, 01:37

Panchester - I'm not going to dis on Man U right now but you can't use them beating Liverpool 2-1 as a reason why they're good this season :wink: You should replace that with their 1-0 defeat of Wolves, it holds about equal weight this season :lol:

...but then I shouldn't talk since Chelsea's starting to suck it up again. Apparently there's gonna be some changes this summer.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 22 Mar 2010, 02:22

A question on a football playing level tho. It seems like he has sorted his injury problems out, anybody hav any ideas how he did that?

Would be useful to noe for our own footy performance..

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 22 Mar 2010, 02:45

2brown347 wrote:Panchester - I'm not going to dis on Man U right now but you can't use them beating Liverpool 2-1 as a reason why they're good this season :wink: You should replace that with their 1-0 defeat of Wolves, it holds about equal weight this season :lol: .
Haha thats true, but against liverpool its like if it was another tournament. Liverpool always plays awesome against big teams, specially man u, and if man u is doing well, theres nothing those scousers want more than to ruin the party for us.. Just look at liverpool, they always loose against decent mid-table teams, and tehn turn around and play spectacular against us or any important match, they would always be like 5-6th in the League, and some how be in the FINAL of the champions league, has happened a few times atleast..

In fact last year, they beat us 4-1 or 1-4 and we were in the UCL final ourselves, its always a different match, like not even part of the EPL, they just play so well against us..

The fact that we where able to with hold that, is reflection that we are better than ever in the last 2 years..

So I think Milan, Arsenal, Manchester City, and now Livahpool victories say nothing but confirm that wonderful time we are passing through. Once again Rooney is helping Man U be one of "the best" and Man U is helping Rooney be "one of the best" ..
...but then I shouldn't talk since Chelsea's starting to suck it up again. Apparently there's gonna be some changes this summer
Actually Abrahamovic confirmed Ancelloti is staying, but that was previous to the elimination in the UCL and the debunkation of the 1st place in the EPL...

Roman is gonna have to make an effort to not spend 15 million on a new DT.. Gosh its so hard to keep a promise
A question on a football playing level tho. It seems like he has sorted his injury problems out, anybody hav any ideas how he did that?

Would be useful to noe for our own footy performance
Doing rehab and physio-therapy?

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 22 Mar 2010, 03:07

Yeah apparently he is also weaned off of coke, mutton and alcohol.

In all competitions Messi has 36 goals and Rooney has 38. If this keeps up, they will definitely break cronaldo's record of 42 goals scored two years ago.