Can Messi be stopped?

Discuss and compare your favorite players
Saibomb
Veteran Member

Can Messi be stopped?

Post by Saibomb » 30 Sep 2007, 23:22

I've watched pretty much every barca game so far this year, and I have to say, messi can not be contained. Simple as that. I mean, last season, he was incredible, no doubt about it, messi was brilliant. But this season, every game he plays he performs as good as he ever did last season. Every game. Messi's ball control is unbelievable! Have you guys seen this guy play? I've never seen this before, he's 20 years old and he tears up the defense like nothing. His speed is incredible as well, his balance and strength is superb, and not only that, but there is an end product to his runs. Sometimes hi will make an amazing pass to split the defense open, or sometimes he goes all by himself and scores. I honestly have to say, messi is the best player in the world right now. I don't think anyone can match him, he is simply amazing.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 30 Sep 2007, 23:41

True say Saibomb. I knew this kid would be teh greatest when I saw a documentary on "The players to watch in World Cup 06" a month before the Tournament. He is well on his way.

Saibomb
Veteran Member

Post by Saibomb » 30 Sep 2007, 23:53

No, he is ALREADY there. But he will keep improving, and improving...That's what scares me...

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz » 01 Oct 2007, 01:24

lmaoo I remember pretty much a year ago when Brazil faced Argentina in a friendly and Kaka' ran 2/3 of the field and scored while holding off and eventually outrunning Messi. That was classic.

Evan
Veteran Member

Post by Evan » 01 Oct 2007, 01:35

First off we're talking about Messi not Kaka. Second we're not comparing the two. Back to topic yes I have watched Barca most games this season...Messi is a machine and like you said he will tear a defense apart and yes it is freakin scary!!! :shock: He did awesome in the game vs. zaragoza
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 01 Oct 2007, 01:47

Kakasgotskillz wrote:lmaoo I remember pretty much a year ago when Brazil faced Argentina in a friendly and Kaka' ran 2/3 of the field and scored while holding off and eventually outrunning Messi. That was classic.
lmaoo i remember pretty much a few moments ago reading the title of the topic "Can MESSI be stopped?"

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 01 Oct 2007, 03:37

shahensha wrote:
Kakasgotskillz wrote:lmaoo I remember pretty much a year ago when Brazil faced Argentina in a friendly and Kaka' ran 2/3 of the field and scored while holding off and eventually outrunning Messi. That was classic.
lmaoo i remember pretty much a few moments ago reading the title of the topic "Can MESSI be stopped?"
:lol:

Classic!
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz » 01 Oct 2007, 07:39

Kaka is quicker than Messi, but Messi has better close control and dribbling ability.

Anyway yes Messi can be stopped, he still has a lot to learn and makes some mistakes, he doesnt always pick out the right passing options and sometimes he dribbles for too long.
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

BHSoccer9
Sophomore Member

Post by BHSoccer9 » 01 Oct 2007, 10:56

I think competent veteran Defensive Mids like Makelele or Gattuso could stop him. Hell even Makelele and Gattuso might need another Defender with them, but it could be done.
BHS Soccer 06-07

17-0-1

STATE CHAMPS!!

1st in the STATE
2nd in the REGION
18th in the NATION

Clumsylegs
Veteran Member

Post by Clumsylegs » 01 Oct 2007, 11:15

Claudio Getile stopped Maradona. So I think Messidona can be stopped too.

Rocky
Veteran Member

Post by Rocky » 01 Oct 2007, 12:29

You have never seen a player like Messi? man, than you have never seen Ronaldo at the age of 20, or Maradona :lol: and of course he can be stopped,
its all about the form, he wont be in a good shape all the time. He will be legendary tho, all he has to do is to avoid injuries (Ronaldo) (something you really can't do in professional football) stay away from drugs (Maradona) Stay away from chicks and drinking (George Best, Garrincha and other legends)

Forza Barca!!!!

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 01 Oct 2007, 13:29

Clumsylegs wrote:Claudio Getile stopped Maradona. So I think Messidona can be stopped too.
Happy Memories

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 01 Oct 2007, 15:20

I think competent veteran Defensive Mids like Makelele or Gattuso could stop him. Hell even Makelele and Gattuso might need another Defender with them, but it could be done.
He is prolly the best dribbler to look at if you want to study how to beat double teaming

This clip is from the el classico from last season where he was being double teamed by Cannavaro and Roberto Carlos.............was he stopped? The clip can answer the question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FckvDOc3oZc

Dude's got supreme talent, you cannot deny that.

DouDou

Post by DouDou » 01 Oct 2007, 18:30

Roberto Carlos placement was the really bad, he left a lot of space between Cannavaro and himself. Messi is a great speed dribbler, but can he be stopped? sure you can stop him, Maradona was stopped, Ronaldo when he was 2o was stopped.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 01 Oct 2007, 18:33

He is also a diving, handballing cheat

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....