Why Does the US Suck compared to all the other Euro teams???

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Trainer09

Why is that USA is always worse then Euro teams and we never have a fat chance winning a world cup???

the only thing i could come up with is that USA is so set on being the best as an individual that they dont care about the other assests of the game.
:evil:

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Well... the best way to get really good is to practice all the time. European countries practice all the time because everyone lives in communities where you can just walk over to the park and you have a pick-up game going on. Here the closest pickup games are miles away. It is just the way the States were built Americans are too in love with their cars to make things closer together. Guess us Americans will have to deal with it.

Btw I wouldnt neccesarily say that the U.S. sucks... we are just awful bad :D

expert
Site Admin

European countries practice all the time because everyone lives in communities where you can just walk over to the park and you have a pick-up game going on
I don't think this is true. Most pro soccer players in Europe are products of youth academies and institutions. Very few of them come from the street or the amateur level.
European countries have exclusive youth leagues where the level of competition is kept high. Good competition produces quality players.
That's why a small country like Holland or Portugal (with only a few hundred academies) can beat the US which has tens of thousands of youth clubs.

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

expert wrote:
European countries practice all the time because everyone lives in communities where you can just walk over to the park and you have a pick-up game going on
I don't think this is true. Most pro soccer players in Europe are products of youth academies and institutions. Very few of them come from the street or the amateur level.
European countries have exclusive youth leagues where the level of competition is kept high. Good competition produces quality players.
That's why a small country like Holland or Portugal (with only a few hundred academies) can beat the US which has tens of thousands of youth clubs.
Yes.. you are correct. But... how do you think the players get into the youth academies? That was my viewpoint. I meant that it is easy to improve because you can play out on the street easy, and the facilities and other players are all easily accesible, so that you can improve and get into an academy. So I agree with you.

Go Holland! Sorry for the randomness, it is just I cannot supress my feelings of patriotism towards Holland. :D

shahensha
Veteran Member

Also keep in mind that football or soccer in US isnt a very popular sport. Infact most narrow minded folks in north america think soccer is a girl sport.

Maikel

Well the US may not be as good as Europe in the sport, but we've/they've got em beat in just about everything else (and don't say Canada with Hockey... I haven't seen a candian team win the Stanley Cup yet).

Then again I'm not a sports encyclopedia so don't quote me on anything... I'm sure Pakistan has a good cricket team.
Not strong, only aggressive.
Not free, we only licensed.
Not compassionate, only polite.
Now who's the nicest?

milanese
Veteran Member

Maikel wrote:Well the US may not be as good as Europe in the sport, but we've/they've got em beat in just about everything else (and don't say Canada with Hockey... I haven't seen a candian team win the Stanley Cup yet).

Then again I'm not a sports encyclopedia so don't quote me on anything... I'm sure Pakistan has a good cricket team.
Haven't you seen Canada been better internationally. Ever wonder why? Half of the the NHL is Canadian players, so when you're American teams win, it's really because of us. Canadian teams have won 43 cups in history, not counting defunct teams and right now there's 6 of them and 24 american teams. (sorry, had to quote you) :wink:

European countries take soccer more seriously, they put kids in youth programs at a young age. There's also places to play all over the place, just like with basketball courts in the US. If it doesn't produce great preformance on the pitch, atleast it can produce some great freestylers.

bigboss

This really ticks me off because the reason that I am not on my varsity soccer team is because I didn't pay several thousand dollars to be on a club year round. In other countries like brazil kids just try out for teams for free and if they like how they play then they keep the players.
Im really sad to say but we need AYSO to become like a youth premier league or something because there are so many kids in this country that might have some golden talent and if he doesn't have the money or connections then he can't make it. :(
People think I'm crazy because all I do is play soccer. Maybe they're right. I do play soccer in rain, sleet, snow, 100 degree weather, on the beach, in my basement, in my room......

hustler89
Veteran Member

There is a number of reasons why the USA isn't as good as European countries in football.

1. Football is not the first sport.
USA is easily the best at baseball, basketball, American football and arguably ice hockey.
Kids will replicate and practice these sports as they are so popular and the gifted will be signed up and progress to national level.

2. As it is not the first sport, governement investment into the development of football will be minimal meaning less coaches, scouts and in general the sport will stay unpopular.
Investment is proven to work and improve a countrys performance at sports, like during the Cold War when Russia invested billions in their infastructure of sports, particularly The Olympics, and drastically imporved.

3. The domestic league is always a good indicator to how well a country treats its football i.e. being popular or unpopular.

ballackfan
Veteran Member

What the Academy does are getting players to higher level. The training itself in the academy based on discipline which is being responsible and managing your time. The manager tells you to get up at 6 in the morning you do so, even though you have 5 hours of sleep and you are very tired that's some of what you need to overcome. And the training in the day may last until the sunset, and I'm sure you're not jugging and playing with the ball the whole time. You may be conditioning the whole entire day. You are going to sweat and get tired and get sored with you muscles, day by day. It's a normal thing in the academy. And by the way, at the end only small percentage of players out of some thousand do get a contract. Unlike the Youth Clubs in the States, I would say the expectation of the players are lower, that can be said with the involvement of players in the club as well.

RonaldinhoSkills

Its simple. You need to go to college, get a green card, etc in the U.S.A.

U.S.A. already has lots of sports people play. #1 in the world in them sports, that the rest of the world don't play. All the other countries play Soccer really.

U.S.A. is a fat lazy country. Look at everyone. Even the people who play actual sports and fat and lazy and can't do crap. They care too much about playing videogames, sure videogames are fun, but you can have as much fun playing football, have a Pro chance and get healthy.

Usually, football is spread and liked in countries like Brazil because some people with lots of free time train for hours to be perfectionists on certain things. People see them play, get inspired and want to be as good as them and end up being better and the cycle continues. In U.S.A. people suck, everyone thinks when someone gets touched with a hand in football they fall down and all you do is kick a ball. And no one ever scores. And the best player is David Beckham and he sucks. Thats what I thought until I had some friends who were extremely good. People need to watch Brazilians play.
Remember... Never do a skill twice, always be creative, after that, you'll own.

gunnerz23
Veteran Member

America are the fattest country on Earth but i think its unfair to generalise and call them all fat. In reality they are actually quite good athletes.
Think about it. Baseball,Basketball and sprinting are all dominated by America. Give the country some respect
forum for all arsenal fans:http://www.talkarsenal.com

"Theres nothing Im scared of in football."- Thierry Henry

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

gunnerz23 wrote:America are the fattest country on Earth but i think its unfair to generalise and call them all fat. In reality they are actually quite good athletes.
Think about it. Baseball,Basketball and sprinting are all dominated by America. Give the country some respect
Oh mate, I wouldn't give the States very much credit. They are pretty much the whole reason why we are in this whole mess of global warming and wars in the Middle East. As soon as I'm old enough I'm off to live in Holland or some other European country.

gunnerz23
Veteran Member

iwannagopro wrote: As soon as I'm old enough I'm off to live in Holland or some other European country.
lol...ok u live in the US so ill take ur word for it.... :P
forum for all arsenal fans:http://www.talkarsenal.com

"Theres nothing Im scared of in football."- Thierry Henry

ajc
The Philly Flyer

iwannagopro wrote:
gunnerz23 wrote:America are the fattest country on Earth but i think its unfair to generalise and call them all fat. In reality they are actually quite good athletes.
Oh mate, I wouldn't give the States very much credit. They are pretty much the whole reason why we are in this whole mess of global warming and wars in the Middle East. As soon as I'm old enough I'm off to live in Holland or some other European country.
That's totally unrelated. Global problems/governement issues don't have to do with the topic. When it comes to athletics no one can argue that the USA dominates many international competitions. Except not the most important one.....the World Cup.