Did Italy disserve to win the world cup

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
kamil k

Did Italy disserve to win the world cup in anyones opinion?

floater

what
it really doesnt matter who deserved it
they got that far and won it
they had a great D, and would have been better if they didnt suffer so many injuries
"In football, the greatest satisfaction is winning when they say you can't." - Robert Paul

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Absolutely not. Any team that lets the US 'score' on you, there's some problem. They were very lucky to win vs. Australia, especially after that dive. Then, they couldn't have gotten much of an easier draw as Ukraine. Then, in the finals, they were picked apart countless times by Henry and Malouda. Really, I feel the final should have been France vs. Argentina, two teams who were on top of their game yet suffered some pretty sour luck.
God damn brewery!!!

milanese
Veteran Member

That wasn't bad luck that let Germany back into the game, it was bad coaching. Pekerman took off Riquelme, when he was the player that they ran their attack through. He basically decided to sit back and play defence, and defending isn't really Argentina's strength. But when a guy leaves Javier Zanetti off his roster, you know he's going to make some strange decisions.

Italy got an easy draw with Ukraine, but also played in one of the toughest groups. France may have not even made the finals if Henry doesn't dive against Spain. You call that sour luck? How is Grosso running into a tackle worse then Henry falling and holding his face when he was touched on the chest?

Both the teams had some luck that allowed then to make the final. Italy was the best team on the day, they deserved to win. You could also say that the penalty was due to a dive, and France shouldn't of even scored. There was contact, but very little contact.

Anyway, you could say neither team in the final deserved it, but things aren't always fair, especially in football.

ratherton
Veteran Member

I don't think they were brilliant but they defended very well throughout the whole tournament (except a stupid OG) and they beat Germany in front of their own fans.

They got a bit of luck with the penalty against Australia but it doesn't mean that they wouldn't have won in extra time or on penalties.

I think they were beatable but they did what they had to do.

France Foot
New User

Ok this is is a very biased opinion but wtv... Look italy ddint deserve to win against australia, they played well against germany. In the final, they were, on a global observation, dominated by france, the penalty shout-out win was completly random, could have gone both ways, even though italy had a mental edge since zidane was out.
A month after the world-cup, france beat italy 3-1 for the euro qualifications, without zidane, comes to show you, italy isn't the better team, hence they should not have won, I mean there is a reason why they say, "may the best team win"
La France peut battre n'importe quelle equipe, Vive la France

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

I actually think that France deserved to win because they had to beat very good teams to get the finals which included Spain, Portugal, and the defending world cup champions Brazil which is i hard enough challenge for any team. France had no easy teams to face.

Who did Italy have? Australia? Ukraine for God sake!!! That was basically an easy pass for the them to the semi-finals against Germany which was their only true challenge.

But in the end Italy won and thats that.

hustler89
Veteran Member

I'm mad that they won and the manner in which they did win.

This is a strong statement, but my respect for the World Cup has declined since the Italians won it.

They defended. And were about as boring as the previous sentence I just wrote.
They don't provide entertainment & value for money which are essential to football.
France attacked and attacked, but were extremely unfortunate.

Finally, most, if not all pf the Italian team were dishonest and unsportsman-like.
They dragged, pulled, kicked, elbowed & dived, but when this was done against them they would roll around 20 times and engulf the referee.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Ok this is is a very biased opinion but wtv... Look italy ddint deserve to win against australia, they played well against germany. In the final, they were, on a global observation, dominated by france, the penalty shout-out win was completly random, could have gone both ways, even though italy had a mental edge since zidane was out.
A month after the world-cup, france beat italy 3-1 for the euro qualifications, without zidane, comes to show you, italy isn't the better team, hence they should not have won, I mean there is a reason why they say, "may the best team win"
I'm mad that they won and the manner in which they did win.

This is a strong statement, but my respect for the World Cup has declined since the Italians won it.

They defended. And were about as boring as the previous sentence I just wrote.
They don't provide entertainment & value for money which are essential to football.
France attacked and attacked, but were extremely unfortunate.

Finally, most, if not all pf the Italian team were dishonest and unsportsman-like.
They dragged, pulled, kicked, elbowed & dived, but when this was done against them they would roll around 20 times and engulf the referee.
Haha still bitter are we? Well I like italy because tactically they are extremely gifted, and very good players. France does too, but I hate the French team and have never ever supported them. I have something against them, but I wont write it here because some french people may be offended. Oh well. France tried hard but they didnt win. Thats too bad. Italy had a rough campaign though. Pessoto almost dying, calciopoli scandal, etc. Yes they did get whupped really badly by france a couple of weeks ago, but its a new coach a different style and with players that were resting on their laurels. (Not pirlo though)

I think they were entertaining in certain matches though, Not boring.

Oh well, sorry to all the France supporters. Italy has the world cup for another four years.

milanese
Veteran Member

France beating Italy in the Euro qualifiers suddenly has as much value as the world cup final? Italy had a 3rd string squad playing that game. Nobody from their world cup team that would help them win. But France beating an Italian team without any of their stars means that their a better team. :roll:

Need I remind you Spain could've beat France as easily as Australia could've beat Italy. I may be a little biased, Italy isn't my first team to support, but I do cheer for them in most games, but as far as I can see, there were plenty of teams doing all the diving and whining that Italy was doing, Portugal looked to be the worst, but I'm also not a Portugal fan.

Could still be bitter about you're team not being successful, but Italy is talked about like their the source of all evil in football around here.

mufc21
Veteran Member

italy sucks and the only reason they won is beacuse of diving and cheating. Italian football should go down the drain.

France Foot
New User

Honestly, the Italians are renowned for their cheapness, their cheating and diving, god dam it, they even cheat in their own league. Im gonna put an end to this, or at least I will try:
-wether or not you agree, it's true, Italy had an easier way to the fianls than France did.
-france played better agaisnt italy in wc final game, and that is a fact, they had more shots, more possesion u name it, they were the better team.
-Im not gonna say Italy didnt deserve to win the Wc because it's not true, but I will say this, they where quite lucky, I mean to get that penalty agasint australia, the fact that zidane headbutted Materrazzi, ect...

Going back on the euro qualification game, you must an idiot if you think that italy didnt have their star players, I mean not only is it false but it's completely stupid , EURO Q-U-A-L-I-F-I-C-A-T-I-O-N, this isnt another exhibition game. The oonly player, which i definetely dont consider a star, italy was missing was Materrazzi.
La France peut battre n'importe quelle equipe, Vive la France

milanese
Veteran Member

mufc21 wrote:italy sucks and the only reason they won is beacuse of diving and cheating. Italian football should go down the drain.
If that's the only reason then why couldn't Portugal win it, they dived as much or more then anyone else. I guess that's why France made the final aswell. :roll:

So Italians cheated in their own league, atleast there was punishment. As if every other league on earth if free of corruption. What an idiot. Sorry, confusing the lineup with another game (they were without Nesta, Totti, Toni, Cameronasi, Materazzi, who could all be starters, minus Materazzi maybe), but still, you think they're better because of a qualifying game over the world cup? It's the closest thing you get to a friendly, Italy won the game that actually matters, so who cares. MLS teams beat European sides in pre-season play, does that mean they're better?

I really should stop trying. Clearly the hate for Italians isn't gonna stop by me pointing out the obvious.

The world cup is difficult to win without a bit of luck, and I will admit that they had some luck.

gunnerz23
Veteran Member

yes they r a good team but not the best team.
The penalty dive againsta Australia was a sign of desperationa and blatant cheating. Who knows what would of happened if that penalty wasnt given,
BOO!!!
forum for all arsenal fans:http://www.talkarsenal.com

"Theres nothing Im scared of in football."- Thierry Henry

tomsta911

in the italy australia game italy played with 10 men. They beat Czech who waz ranked no.2 b4 the world cup they beat germany and ukraine (well thats easy) but at the end of the day italy have the world cup. Now is there really anypoint wasting your posts sayin how they cheated or watevr u say coz im sure they not gonna take the world cup back so :?

FORZA AZZURI
(::)Maestro Tomsta (::)