World cup prize money...

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
socc3rfan
New User

i was wondering about the world cup prize money i heard the wining team gets 280 million USD. from that money how much does the players get?? :D[/b]

ratherton
Veteran Member

I'm not aware of any prize money. I think they mean it's worth that in merchandise rights and stuff like that

The players are paid too much already. You shouldn't need to be paid to play for your country

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

i think it's only around 20 million usd, but i could be wrong. i agree with ratherton though, playing for your country is a privilege, and they don't even need to be paid for it.
Hala Galacticos

J
Admin

Yeah they do get prize money. I remember the commentators talking about it before the final.

Check this article out:

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2005/apr/27fifa.htm

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

ratherton wrote:I'm not aware of any prize money. I think they mean it's worth that in merchandise rights and stuff like that

The players are paid too much already. You shouldn't need to be paid to play for your country
I agree. If your good enough to play for the country, that's the honor in itself. You don't need billions of dollars (and I'm not just talking about futbol, I'm also talking about how basketball, american football, and other sports here are totally overpayed. I think some of that money needs to go to feed the hungry and help victims of natural disaster...etc...okay rant over. sorry)

floater

that money doesn't go to the players it goes to the soccer federartion of that country to be spent on improving the game in their country
everyone who enters the WC gets like 4 mil euro, and then it goes up every stage, the winner get 16 mil euro
"In football, the greatest satisfaction is winning when they say you can't." - Robert Paul

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

floater is right about the money going to the federations, but players do get money too. They get a part of the money and their football federation gets a part of the money.

G-Unit-Freestyler

Im sure players see the money more of a bonus then their primary target. I mean who wudnt want to play in the WC?